Civil Service Pay Cuts

Started by thebandit, January 15, 2009, 05:44:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should Civil Servants suffer a drop in pay

Yes
No
Pay Freeze

thebandit

With all the talk of a pay freeze, or even a pay cut in the civil service. What do you think?
Should civil servants suffer the ills of the economy along with the rest of us, or should they receive their increments etc?

Mayo4Sam

Its not just a pay cut thats needed but a whole scale redundancy package for a lot of the useless feckers employed by the state, in particular the HSE admin staff
for too long FFhave given them everything that they wanted, at a time when it would have been easier to weed out the dead weight, very hard now when theres a recession no chance of jobs for these people and the unions will have the upperhand
IMO the biggest failure of the last 10 years
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Square Ball

I am sick to fecking death with people going on about the civil service, yes there are some complete wasters in it, but when you try to get rid of them the union come up with some balls to keep the useless tossers, or management loose their balls and dont  sack the bastards. there are people off on sick when there is f**k all wrong with them, and also a lot of genuinely sick people, but they are all tarred with the same brush.

there are a lot of top class people who work their balls off to try and make a difference, but the with so many targets and crap to meet they keep moving the goal posts.... a manager said, never mind moving the goal posts, the dug up the pitch and moved it too.
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

ExiledGael

Why are they only talking of making the cut for anyone under 100,000 euro a year? Surely it should be across the board down to anyone maybe at the 50 mark or even lower.

Tankie

Regardless of a recession or not i believe that there should be a pay cut, but the work practices are just rediculous, what type of a job gives you upto 10 days uncertified sick leave, 35 hour weeks, flexi time, option of a year off, a pension and the fact you will never lose your job. Whats makes things worse is that there is a huge amount of the people on 40k + without a degree or any 3rd level qualification, they are there just so long that they keep getting increases. And to get a job you just need to no somebody, i think the lads in Dell have more skil the most of the civil service!

I find it hard to believe that these clowns feel hard done by.  ::)
Grand Slam Saturday!

The Gs Man

Youse are all talking balls.

I work my balls off, as do the vast majority of people in my Department.  We're lucky to even get pay rise in line with inflation, we don't get performance related pay, all the shit about sick absences has been knocked on the head.

Quit whinging.  There are some lazy bastrds in the Civil Service, Im not denying that, but where do you work?  Is there no lazy bastrds working there?

Quote from: Tankie on January 15, 2009, 06:07:31 PM
Regardless of a recession or not i believe that there should be a pay cut, but the work practices are just rediculous, what type of a job gives you upto 10 days uncertified sick leave, 35 hour weeks, flexi time, option of a year off, a pension and the fact you will never lose your job. Whats makes things worse is that there is a huge amount of the people on 40k + without a degree or any 3rd level qualification, they are there just so long that they keep getting increases. And to get a job you just need to no somebody, i think the lads in Dell have more skil the most of the civil service!

Biggest pile of shite Ive read on this board in ages.  Probably on the wind-up but sure. 
Keep 'er lit

The Watcher Pat

Never mind the pay cuts..Its about time we got the back pay that were owed!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/7403944.stm
There is no I in team, but if you look close enough you can find ME

Jimmy Joe

Quote from: The Gs Man on January 15, 2009, 07:46:50 PM
Youse are all talking balls.

I work my balls off, as do the vast majority of people in my Department.  We're lucky to even get pay rise in line with inflation, we don't get performance related pay, all the shit about sick absences has been knocked on the head.

Quit whinging.  There are some lazy bastrds in the Civil Service, Im not denying that, but where do you work?  Is there no lazy bastrds working there?

Quote from: Tankie on January 15, 2009, 06:07:31 PM

Biggest pile of shite Ive read on this board in ages.  Probably on the wind-up but sure. 

I agree with ye Gman.  There is some amount of yapping on this board about civil servants.  It's basically a load of pricks jumping on another bandwagon, looking something to complain about (you could always go back to picking on the teachers).  Every workplace has their share of dossers, and I'm sure there's a fair amount of posters on here who don't exactly work flat out, judging by the number of posts they have each day.

pintsofguinness

QuoteI'm sure there's a fair amount of posters on here who don't exactly work flat, judging by the number of posts the have each day.
Was thinking similar when I seen the thread. 
I dont understand what sort of jobs some people have when they seem to sit on here all day posting. 
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Jimmy Joe

Maybe everyone in the country should tell their boss they want a pay cut.  

The Gs Man

Quote from: hardstation on January 15, 2009, 08:10:25 PM
I know. How do they get anything done?

Says two lads with a combined total of nearly 17,000 posts!!!  :D
Keep 'er lit

The Watcher Pat

Quote from: Jimmy Joe on January 15, 2009, 08:11:21 PM
Maybe everyone in the country should tell their boss they want a pay cut.  

I'm busier now in my job in a benefits office than i ever was...but sure I'll do more work and offer to take a pay cut if it helps the country out..    ???

pintsofguinness

Quote from: The Gs Man on January 15, 2009, 08:11:57 PM
Quote from: hardstation on January 15, 2009, 08:10:25 PM
I know. How do they get anything done?

Says two lads with a combined total of nearly 17,000 posts!!!  :D
I dont post during working hours.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Tony Baloney

Of course there lazy bastards in every company, it's just they don't get away with it for an entire lifetime or receive as many perks along the way as a civil servant. If you slack in the private sector where things like productivity and profitability are important then you will be shown the door or "personal action plan" pretty sharpish.

Any number of economists and private sector big wigs have said it could operate with a workforce about 30% leaner but the unions stiffle any talk of more efficient working practices as things such as productivity and longevity are of no interest to them.

The Watcher Pat

Quote from: Tony Baloney on January 15, 2009, 08:21:05 PM
Of course there lazy b**tards in every company, it's just they don't get away with it for an entire lifetime or receive as many perks along the way as a civil servant. If you slack in the private sector where things like productivity and profitability are important then you will be shown the door or "personal action plan" pretty sharpish.

Any number of economists and private sector big wigs have said it could operate with a workforce about 30% leaner but the unions stiffle any talk of more efficient working practices as things such as productivity and longevity are of no interest to them.

Get yourself a job in the Civil service then if its so easy work..The perks are there because the wages are useless. We have been under paid for years but there's not much talk out of you about that as my link shows.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/7403944.stm