Joe Brolly

Started by randomtask, July 31, 2011, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

squire_in_navy_slacks

Did brolly make a reference to brady yeseterday lads????

Club Rossa

Can't remember what point Spillane was making at the time but Joe told him he was beginning to sound like David Brady.

Zulu

I can't stand Spillane and I regard him and Tony Davis as the worst analysts by far. I don't mind Joe as I think he is comfortable in front of the cameras and makes some decent points. However, himself and Spillane are at opposite ends of a nonsensical spectrum, for Pat long kick passing will beat all and for Joe defensive systems are king, neither of course is true. But the two lads analysis is entirely coloured by these views, so much so that you could have cardboard cut outs of the two of them in the studio and just play a recording of their views from any previous game.

5 Sams

Lads we shouldn't get too wound up about the two boys trading verbals.....TSG is using the Giles Dunphy template to generate a bit of "controversy"....to generate a bit of crack....although Pat does look as if he would give Brolly a slap sometimes....
The Aristocrat Years

ck

Quote from: 5 Sams on August 22, 2011, 02:02:32 PM
Lads we shouldn't get too wound up about the two boys trading verbals.....TSG is using the Giles Dunphy template to generate a bit of "controversy"....to generate a bit of crack....although Pat does look as if he would give Brolly a slap sometimes....

I think the agro between them is genuine. Brolly doesnt like mouth pieces like Spillane so disagrees for the sake of it, which winds Pat up no end. Yesterday Spillane was 1st to comment at half time and came out with his usual shite. Brolly was next and started by saying "I coulnt disagree more with Pats analysis of the game".. and then proceeded to basically agree with Spillane. He wants to disagree more than he does disagree.
Brolly is articulate but a limited reader of a game. O'Rourke is boring and Spillane is just an utter bollox.

imtommygunn

Quote from: ck on August 22, 2011, 07:24:47 PM
Brolly is articulate but a limited reader of a game.

That is a great summation of him! Davis comes across as a blithering idiot sometimes but Brolly just tries to belittle him and McStay with his "I'm more intelligent than you" demeanour.

I don't mind Brolly to be honest but I do think in some regards he is limited like is said here and he needs to respect other people's opinions a bit better. At the end of the day that's all they are - opinions. They're no wiser than any of the rest of us.

sheamy

I think the tension between the two arises from the Kerry defeats to Tyrone to be honest (which Pat has never gotten over). Joe takes great delight in these as they are the only thing to have really rattled Kerry, and Pat, to their core. Pat constantly uses the phrase 'nordern defence' to label modern defensive tactics. This is just plain bullshit but it is a terrific insight into his thinking. Everything you need to know about Pat can be found underneath the phrases 'puke football' and 'nodern defence'. He also hates the fact that Kerry immediately copied the tactic.

On the other hand, I have sympathy for his thinking. The man loves football played the way it should be. He just confuses himself and it comes out all annoyed when he sees his beautiful game being destroyed, 'or in his minds eye' being destroyed. He forgets most games in the 80's etc were horseshit with skills nowhere near the level they are now. Brolly sees and senses the frustration Pat has with this, knows it's entirely illogical and just thrives on winding him up. Joe is a legal mind so works entirely on logic. He knows Pat's commentary has little to do with logic so this winds him up naturally about Pat. On a good day he finds it funny but on a bad day he takes him to task. The great thing is when you cross a logical person with an illogical person they will never ever agree. That's the crux of the 'chemistry'.

Pat will use any series of bad play or a poor shot to highlight where it has all gone wrong. This has now caught on with other pundits where the whole focus is on 'how good the game is'. Even a minor game between Tipp and Roscommon got slated for no good reason. If you watch it back you'll see some fantastic score taking and examples of skillful play under pressure. Yet the consensus reached was that it was poor. Nonsense, but highlights how warped these men's view has become.

O'Rourke has given up with the pair of them. He briefly challenged Pat's assertion that 'da way to beat de blanket defence is to kek da ball long' with 'how can you do that if you look up and all you see are 6 extra defenders in the full back line'. Pat rambled back at him with some meaningless guff and Colm looked like he wanted to just go home. Now he just sits there thinking of the money.

Brolly is the greatest revisionist thinker of his time, excellent and articulate at explaining why a game panned out the way it did (after the event). He pronounces so confidently what will happen before a game, and when the total opposite happens, he again pronounces so confidently that you think that's what he said in the first place. The odd time he gets it right and pronounces even more confidently so you begin to think he has never been wrong. Sky+ is a great leveller.

It's getting a little tired to be honest as the record hasn't changed since 2003.

ps Davis is an absolute idiot from head to toe in that arena. He's a good genuine gael though.

whiskeysteve

Excellent summation Sheamy
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

imtommygunn

Quote from: sheamy on August 23, 2011, 08:35:44 AM
He prounces so confidently what will happen before a game, and when the total opposite happens, he again prounces so confidently that you think that's what he said in the first place.

:D

Orangemac

Joe's verdict on Donegal (article also in Gaelic Life) this week. Get the impression Joe isn't crazy about Donegals style of play :D

Brolly's Bites - What's the point, Jim?

Jerome Quinn did a very enjoyable video piece before the Ulster final called "Derry is buzzing" from Shamrock Park in Ballinderry (see it on youtube).

Conleith Gilligan, Big Enda and Kevin McGuckin were down at the park helping out with the club's summer camp and the atmosphere was one of fun and excitement. The children were asked to predict the scores. "1-19 to 1-18" said one. Adam Gilligan, heir to the Gilligan fortune, predicted that Derry would win by 3-11 to 2-9 and "my daddy will score the Derry goals." His daddy is one of the most skilled footballers the county ever produced. When Ballinderry won the All-Ireland club title in 2002, Conleith claimed the 'Man of the Match' award in five out of their six post-Derry championship games, controlling games with his pinpoint passing and clever movement.

So, in mid July in Clones, he brought all his reservoir of talent and experience onto the pitch; a lifetime of loving and learning the game. What a colossal waste of time that all turned out to be. All those early mornings on the Shamrocks pitch, kicking ball for the sheer pleasure of it. All those Saturday afternoons when he headed off with a bag of balls over his shoulder to perfect his technique with both feet, him and Big Enda putting on a private show, kicking sideline after sideline until it was dark, revelling in it. Pathetic!

Derry and Armagh had lit up the championship in the semi-final, an exhilarating game where players expressed themselves to the full. Eoin Bradley's audacious skills brought gasps of admiration. Jamie Clarke terrified the Derry support every time the ball came near. Three brilliant goals! We came away with a spring in our step. How Pathetic! How absolutely pathetic!

Come the Ulster final, it became clear that what Derry men have been engaged in all these years is not football at all, but some childish fantasy. In Clones, Adam's daddy never got a kick, because Donegal men played ring-a-ring-a-rosy around him for the entire game. This is lots of fun. The formula is this: Get all your players to stay inside their own half, save for Colm McFadden. Then surround the inside forwards. At halftime, you can stop doing it for ten minutes. When the whistle for the second half goes, resume the position until the final whistle goes. Then Rory will say "we make no apologies for this" and express surprise that people hate it. "I am amazed at the reaction" he said after last Sunday in Croke Park. "We are not in the business of entertainment." You don't say Rory..

In that Clones final, Enda Muldoon looked awful. No Derry forward scored. Very few even managed to get a shot off. To tell you the truth, I can remember very little about the game, other than the Ring-a-ring-a-rosy. Oh, and Donegal got a penalty which Michael Murphy crashed home. That aside, the mind draws a blank.

Their destruction of their games prior to the Dublin match was not just as depressing as last Sunday because up until then, no one had played them at their own game. The other opposition (save for Kildare who only got partially sucked in) fell into the trap of throwing their defenders forward in a desperate attempt to get a score. This allowed Donegal to selectively counter-attack into the space left behind, while still keeping their defence in position. The plan is simple and effective. Blot out all space inside their own half. Create a turnover as the opposition defenders come forward, then go for the jugular. Murphy, or Lacey or Kavanagh come through the middle, then lay the ball off for the striker. Tyrone played into their hands by coming forward from the back in droves. Their high-wire act was eventually exposed, two turnovers leading to the two killer goals. 2-6 is more than enough to do the job.

There are three ways to deal with Donegal's death-grip. One is to put your head in your hands and weep. The second is reserved for the Kerrys of this world and by that I mean Kerry. The third is to do precisely the same to them. Keep your defenders in position. Use the spare men to surround Colm McFadden (above), then Michael Murphy in the unlikely event that he is allowed to go into the forwards (on Sunday, he was finally sent up on the 64th minute).

Until Jim and Rory came along, I had naively assumed Michael was a forward. There he was all those years, wasting his time learning the skills. Turns out, all he has to do to win an Ulster championship is play ring-a-ring-a-rosy along his half-back line and kick the odd free or penalty. Dublin did the only thing that can be done. Do to them what they do to you, make it a horrible stalemate, then hope to scramble the late free or penalty that will win the game.

When other teams gradually realise that Dublin's approach is the only viable way to deal with Donegal's strategy, there is only one future. Forwards, even great ones like Bernard Brogan and Michael Murphy become irrelevant. Their role will be to try to get their hands to the ball and hope to win a free as the swarm of defenders reaches in. The goalie will be an expert long range free-taker, since all the fouling is done outside the scoring zone. The best scoring forwards will in future be picked in the half back line. Midfielders as we know it will become redundant. Jack O'Shea and his ilk will be relics of a romantic past. Instead, we will have ruck rovers like they have in Aussie rules, workaholics who roam up and down the field.

The point that has been missed in all the furore caused since Sunday is that there are two mutually exclusive positions. The first is Donegal's self-interest. They are perfectly entitled to play whatever game they wish to. Incredibly, they are Ulster champions and had Colm McFadden bagged the goal he ought to have, they would be getting ready for an All-Ireland final.

The second however, is the wider interests of the game and the people who love it. On this front, we, the people, are perfectly entitled to say that what Donegal do is fundamentally damaging to Gaelic football. Jim asked afterwards what was "the point in going out in a blaze of glory", something Donegal conspicuously did not do last Sunday. Instead, they went out in a shameful and forgettable way, iced by the disgraceful play-acting of Martin Boyle. No one will remember it. No one would want to remember it.

lenny

Quote from: Orangemac on September 04, 2011, 10:08:51 AM
Joe's verdict on Donegal (article also in Gaelic Life) this week. Get the impression Joe isn't crazy about Donegals style of play :D

Brolly's Bites - What's the point, Jim?

Jerome Quinn did a very enjoyable video piece before the Ulster final called "Derry is buzzing" from Shamrock Park in Ballinderry (see it on youtube).

Conleith Gilligan, Big Enda and Kevin McGuckin were down at the park helping out with the club's summer camp and the atmosphere was one of fun and excitement. The children were asked to predict the scores. "1-19 to 1-18" said one. Adam Gilligan, heir to the Gilligan fortune, predicted that Derry would win by 3-11 to 2-9 and "my daddy will score the Derry goals." His daddy is one of the most skilled footballers the county ever produced. When Ballinderry won the All-Ireland club title in 2002, Conleith claimed the 'Man of the Match' award in five out of their six post-Derry championship games, controlling games with his pinpoint passing and clever movement.

So, in mid July in Clones, he brought all his reservoir of talent and experience onto the pitch; a lifetime of loving and learning the game. What a colossal waste of time that all turned out to be. All those early mornings on the Shamrocks pitch, kicking ball for the sheer pleasure of it. All those Saturday afternoons when he headed off with a bag of balls over his shoulder to perfect his technique with both feet, him and Big Enda putting on a private show, kicking sideline after sideline until it was dark, revelling in it. Pathetic!

Derry and Armagh had lit up the championship in the semi-final, an exhilarating game where players expressed themselves to the full. Eoin Bradley's audacious skills brought gasps of admiration. Jamie Clarke terrified the Derry support every time the ball came near. Three brilliant goals! We came away with a spring in our step. How Pathetic! How absolutely pathetic!

Come the Ulster final, it became clear that what Derry men have been engaged in all these years is not football at all, but some childish fantasy. In Clones, Adam's daddy never got a kick, because Donegal men played ring-a-ring-a-rosy around him for the entire game. This is lots of fun. The formula is this: Get all your players to stay inside their own half, save for Colm McFadden. Then surround the inside forwards. At halftime, you can stop doing it for ten minutes. When the whistle for the second half goes, resume the position until the final whistle goes. Then Rory will say "we make no apologies for this" and express surprise that people hate it. "I am amazed at the reaction" he said after last Sunday in Croke Park. "We are not in the business of entertainment." You don't say Rory..

In that Clones final, Enda Muldoon looked awful. No Derry forward scored. Very few even managed to get a shot off. To tell you the truth, I can remember very little about the game, other than the Ring-a-ring-a-rosy. Oh, and Donegal got a penalty which Michael Murphy crashed home. That aside, the mind draws a blank.

Their destruction of their games prior to the Dublin match was not just as depressing as last Sunday because up until then, no one had played them at their own game. The other opposition (save for Kildare who only got partially sucked in) fell into the trap of throwing their defenders forward in a desperate attempt to get a score. This allowed Donegal to selectively counter-attack into the space left behind, while still keeping their defence in position. The plan is simple and effective. Blot out all space inside their own half. Create a turnover as the opposition defenders come forward, then go for the jugular. Murphy, or Lacey or Kavanagh come through the middle, then lay the ball off for the striker. Tyrone played into their hands by coming forward from the back in droves. Their high-wire act was eventually exposed, two turnovers leading to the two killer goals. 2-6 is more than enough to do the job.

There are three ways to deal with Donegal's death-grip. One is to put your head in your hands and weep. The second is reserved for the Kerrys of this world and by that I mean Kerry. The third is to do precisely the same to them. Keep your defenders in position. Use the spare men to surround Colm McFadden (above), then Michael Murphy in the unlikely event that he is allowed to go into the forwards (on Sunday, he was finally sent up on the 64th minute).

Until Jim and Rory came along, I had naively assumed Michael was a forward. There he was all those years, wasting his time learning the skills. Turns out, all he has to do to win an Ulster championship is play ring-a-ring-a-rosy along his half-back line and kick the odd free or penalty. Dublin did the only thing that can be done. Do to them what they do to you, make it a horrible stalemate, then hope to scramble the late free or penalty that will win the game.

When other teams gradually realise that Dublin's approach is the only viable way to deal with Donegal's strategy, there is only one future. Forwards, even great ones like Bernard Brogan and Michael Murphy become irrelevant. Their role will be to try to get their hands to the ball and hope to win a free as the swarm of defenders reaches in. The goalie will be an expert long range free-taker, since all the fouling is done outside the scoring zone. The best scoring forwards will in future be picked in the half back line. Midfielders as we know it will become redundant. Jack O'Shea and his ilk will be relics of a romantic past. Instead, we will have ruck rovers like they have in Aussie rules, workaholics who roam up and down the field.

The point that has been missed in all the furore caused since Sunday is that there are two mutually exclusive positions. The first is Donegal's self-interest. They are perfectly entitled to play whatever game they wish to. Incredibly, they are Ulster champions and had Colm McFadden bagged the goal he ought to have, they would be getting ready for an All-Ireland final.

The second however, is the wider interests of the game and the people who love it. On this front, we, the people, are perfectly entitled to say that what Donegal do is fundamentally damaging to Gaelic football. Jim asked afterwards what was "the point in going out in a blaze of glory", something Donegal conspicuously did not do last Sunday. Instead, they went out in a shameful and forgettable way, iced by the disgraceful play-acting of Martin Boyle. No one will remember it. No one would want to remember it.

Don't always agree with Brolly but I think he sums up Donegal pretty well.

sheamy

poor effort by joe there I think. I kinda know what he's getting at, but what's his point? Only one man allowed to tackle Conleith Gilligan?

muppet

MWWSI 2017

Mike Sheehy

Brolly is correct but he is a complete hypocrite. He has spent the last 8 years eulogizing his beloved Tyrone for using the same tactics.

ONeill

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on September 06, 2011, 08:16:27 PM
Brolly is correct but he is a complete hypocrite. He has spent the last 8 years eulogizing his beloved Tyrone for using the same tactics.

There's a bit of truth in this.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.