2020/21 All Ireland Football Championship

Started by Angelo, June 06, 2020, 10:43:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thewobbler

Quote from: armaghniac on June 28, 2020, 04:35:25 PM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on June 28, 2020, 04:23:44 PM
Pat Spillane feels the GAA should consider removing the possibility of penalties from deciding Championship games later this year and introduce a golden score.

"A fella misses a penalty, an individual has just cost his county the All-Ireland title. I think the fairer system is, yes extra-time, but then golden score, first team to score wins. Collective responsibility in victory, collective responsibility in defeat. To lose an All-Ireland final with a missed penalty? I wouldn't like to be that player heading back to the county."

Sometimes Spillane is correct.

I'd much prefer "next score wins" myself, but it doesn't alleviate the situation Spillane is describing. Players are going to regularly miss the target under such conditions, and there will be some dreadful misses, and the ire of spectators will follow.

BennyCake

Quote from: tippabu on June 28, 2020, 03:41:07 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on June 28, 2020, 02:51:03 PM
They've probably looked at Croke Park accomodation in more detail since JH was saying that back in early May.

I expect the Ros/ Rhubarbs and the Connacht Final to be in Croker.
3 of the 4 Leinster Hurling games, all Dublin football games plus the other Leibster Semi.
Probably Cavan/Monaghan and Tyrone/Donegal and the Final.

Firstly I cant wait to get back to going to games and having GAA back before it sounds like a moan.

I see all these bits about how many they can fit in with social distaning etc. Has it been addressed yet what happens at half time and the full time whistle when everyone leaves at the same time?

Or if there is an emergency at the ground?

tippabu

Quote from: thewobbler on June 28, 2020, 04:40:52 PM
Pat Spillane feels the GAA should consider removing the possibility of penalties from deciding Championship games later this year and introduce a golden score.

"A fella misses a penalty, an individual has just cost his county the All-Ireland title. I think the fairer system is, yes extra-time, but then golden score, first team to score wins. Collective responsibility in victory, collective responsibility in defeat. To lose an All-Ireland final with a missed penalty? I wouldn't like to be that player heading back to the county."

I'd much prefer "next score wins" myself, but it doesn't alleviate the situation Spillane is describing. Players are going to regularly miss the target under such conditions, and there will be some dreadful misses, and the ire of spectators will follow.

Added to that it potentially puts the winning and losing in a referees hands. Could you imagine losing an All Ireland to a very soft free or more than likely the ref not wanting to be the deciding factor and not giving a blatant free. Granted this could happen in the last moments of normal time too but in a golden score situation it would be magnified much more

Jim Bob

Quote from: tippabu on June 28, 2020, 07:02:30 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on June 28, 2020, 04:40:52 PM

Added to that it potentially puts the winning and losing in a referees hands. Could you imagine losing an All Ireland to a very soft free or more than likely the ref not wanting to be the deciding factor and not giving a blatant free. Granted this could happen in the last moments of normal time too but in a golden score situation it would be magnified much more

Sure that's the way it has always been..

Eire90

How about  if after normal extra time  its still even you have a first team to 2 or 3  points

Eire90

i am seriously looking forward to an all ireland final on a dark december afternoon/evening

Eire90

Anyone thnk they could have still played the provincial club and all ireland club championships maybe they could scrap mckenna cup etc and resume them after christmas play final on st patricks day again.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Eire90 on June 28, 2020, 10:09:30 PM
i am seriously looking forward to an all ireland final on a dark december afternoon/evening

Lucky for you it's a Saturday so you can go on the rip eh? :D
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Eire90

not really a big drinker but for those that want to go on the rip it be great ill be watching in my home with a fire on

Eire90

Its the saturday before Christmas too so dublin should be buzzing if its back to normal by then

Eire90

If these knockout games are a succes hopefully it might make the gaa get rid of the super 8 but i wont hold my breath.

BennyCake

Quote from: Eire90 on June 28, 2020, 10:22:08 PM
If these knockout games are a succes hopefully it might make the gaa get rid of the super 8 but i wont hold my breath.

Not a chance in hell they'll kill their super 8 cash cow.

Rossfan

I'd say the losers of Tyrone/Donegal and Ros/Mayowestros will be awful excited about turning the clock back to 2000.

Is Eire90 related to Smurfy?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

thewobbler

Quote from: Rossfan on June 28, 2020, 11:56:00 PM
I'd say the losers of Tyrone/Donegal and Ros/Mayowestros will be awful excited about turning the clock back to 2000.

Is Eire90 related to Smurfy?

This really has to boil down to whether their chances of winning an AI are improved or reduced by straight knockout? As I'm assuming that they're all title-driven enough to assess that losing in the first round or the semi final doesn't change the assessment of their season by much.

I'd argue all day and night that the only team who profits from a second bite of the cherry is the best team in the country. It afford them an off day, before resuming the status quo. That's not Tyrone, Donegal, Mayo or Roscommon.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Eire90 on June 28, 2020, 10:22:08 PM
[/b]

Please do
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea