The Sunday Game

Started by Jinxy, May 11, 2008, 10:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

That kind of sh*t being put into the media is bang out of order and nothing but mind games to influence referees and personally I think he's right to highlight this. Referees get enough pressure without this rubbish.

Alex Ferguson and Jose Mourinho have brought this sh*t into soccer and personally I think, in the amateur or professional game, it's a disgrace.  It is more of a disgrace in an amateur game but in my view it has no place in either.

McGeeney did well after not being sure what to say and I don't think it was him peddling this anyway.

magpie seanie

Quote from: Hardy on August 01, 2011, 11:36:03 AM
It was an interesting contrast in post-game demeanour, OK. You expect an ould whinge from the beaten manager, not the winner. McGeeney was the essence of sportsmanship.

Imagine Donegal people whinging - how rare!

Armaghgael

If in doubt.......take man and ball!

tbrick18

Quote from: Armaghgael on August 01, 2011, 01:47:07 PM
Quote from: Overthebar! on July 31, 2011, 11:12:05 PM
Think we know who the culprit is  :D

http://www.sportsfile.com/id/541833/

Pure mouth!! Hope they go no further!

What was said or what do you mean by this? Anyone know what was said to McGeeney?

Doogie Browser

I don't like this goading of the opposition after a victory, lacks class.

Jinxy

"Hey Geezer, you've plenty of time to get that hair cut now!"
If you were any use you'd be playing.

borderfox

McGuinness didnt like Kildare talking to the media so he goes and talks to RTE about it.Tinge of  Hypocrisy there methinks.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

J70

Quote from: borderfox on August 01, 2011, 02:25:11 PM
McGuinness didnt like Kildare talking to the media so he goes and talks to RTE about it.Tinge of  Hypocrisy there methinks.

How is it hypocritical to complain (after the match is over) about the Kildare selector trying to use the media to influence the referee?

If McGuinness had tried to use media mind games beforehand and then complained about Kildare doing the same, then yes, that would indeed be hypocritical.

Jinxy

Youthinks wrong.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Link

Can the sunday game be watched online in the north? Missed it last night!

J70

Quote from: Link on August 01, 2011, 02:49:44 PM

I think its the island of Ireland only until Wednesday night. Rest of the world after that.

sheamy

Correct. They all use the media. Jimmy has used it from day one. He had a new panto villain every week. Baker Bradley, Pat Spillane etc etc.

Every time you make statements or give interviews to journalists you are using the media. The rest is only subject. As long as there are no personal attacks on private lives of the opposition, or talking about things outside of football, then all is fair game.

Some managers highlight things to try and lure opponents into a false sense of security. Some on a tactic used by the opposition like a diagonal ball. No different than highlighting the Donegal tactic of fouling round the middle of the pitch. Anyway, good job noone is talking about it now and it obviously hasn't worked! Well, worked for Kildare. A Mickey Harte plot perhaps?  :D

Sure McGeeney spoke out after the Derry game that Doyle was being targetting by teams for rough treatment. How is that any different? I didn't see anyone jumping up and down then. That was obviously an attempt to get refs onside to an issue as well. All managers do this. McGuinness should get off his high horse along with anyone else taking offence. As WhiskeySteve pointed out this is nothing but an attempt to build seige mentality. Fair play as well. It's entertaining if not a little laughable at times. Noone should take it seriously though.

Link

Quote from: J70 on August 01, 2011, 02:52:26 PM

I think its the island of Ireland only until Wednesday night. Rest of the world after that.

Cheers, i'll try it here again now!

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Link on August 01, 2011, 03:00:49 PM
Quote from: J70 on August 01, 2011, 02:52:26 PM

Cheers, i'll try it here again now!

Cheers I'll catch it wednesday so, can't wait.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Armaghgael

Quote from: tbrick18 on August 01, 2011, 01:52:34 PM
Quote from: Armaghgael on August 01, 2011, 01:47:07 PM
Quote from: Overthebar! on July 31, 2011, 11:12:05 PM
Think we know who the culprit is  :D

http://www.sportsfile.com/id/541833/

Pure mouth!! Hope they go no further!

What was said or what do you mean by this? Anyone know what was said to McGeeney?

You dont taunt a rival manger after a victory and it shows how much respect for the oppoistion Murphy had. NONE!. The sooner their out the better!!
If in doubt.......take man and ball!