The Sunday Game

Started by Jinxy, May 11, 2008, 10:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheamy

Quote from: orchard 8195 on July 26, 2011, 10:59:45 PM
Quote from: SuperHo on July 26, 2011, 12:14:43 PM
In fairness, Tony Davis won an all ireland final single handedly.

Just a pity he won it for Derry!!
To be fair davis was extremely harshly sent off that day!!

Correct. Davis barely deserved a yellow for the tackle he got red for. Niall Cahalane on the other hand! The clearest right hook you'll ever see on Enda Gormley about 5 mins earlier. The feeling always was that Davis got the line because Cahalane didn't. Good job referees are more logical these days  :D

Hound

Quote from: Hereiam on July 26, 2011, 09:19:13 AM
In fairness to Des Cahill he let Brolly and Davis go at it..... if that hada been Spillane he would have been buttin in and would have ruined the whole thing. You have to laugh at Brolly....... if u didn't the TV would be out the window.

Yeah, I find I've a lot more admiration for Des since I found out he manages Cuala. He must have a pretty decent knowledge of the game. He's very good at letting the boys go at it without interrupting them (which most presenters find difficult), yet he does call them when they go over the top (e.g last week with Brolly on his comments on James Kavanagh).

heffo

Quote from: Hound on July 27, 2011, 09:08:09 AM
Quote from: Hereiam on July 26, 2011, 09:19:13 AM
In fairness to Des Cahill he let Brolly and Davis go at it..... if that hada been Spillane he would have been buttin in and would have ruined the whole thing. You have to laugh at Brolly....... if u didn't the TV would be out the window.

Yeah, I find I've a lot more admiration for Des since I found out he manages Cuala. He must have a pretty decent knowledge of the game

Senior selector - he was the Chairman a few years ago.

Chris agus Snoop

Brolly being the talented QC that he is, outmanuevered the hapless Davis,
he said the article was taken out of context but the original article in gaelic life was far more insulting than the extracts on the examiner.
Davis failed to call him on it.
Brolly also wants to be an honourary kerry man his sycophancy towards them is cringe worthy.
And Cork half backs scored more than kerry HBs in the last 2 years.

sheamy

Quote from: Chris agus Snoop on July 27, 2011, 09:45:28 AM
he said the article was taken out of context but the original article in gaelic life was far more insulting than the extracts on the examiner.
Brolly also wants to be an honourary kerry man his sycophancy towards them is cringe worthy.

What's insulting? Please detail these grevious insults.

If you call a man a c**t it might be insulting. Calling a system of play 'primative' is hardly insulting. His basis thesis is that if Cork adopted a more 'modern' system of play which didn't rely so heavily on the two guys on the inside line, they'd be near unbeatable. The fact that they win playing what Brolly terms 'primative' football where they 'bore' their way through teams should be taken as a complement as to how good they could be. His basic point is that Cork are winning despite themselves. He said that they beat a mediocre Down team by a point, and that's a fact.

As usual people just latch onto any word like 'primative' and run away making their own stories up. I'm not fan of Brolly as a pundit but he is correct in this case (imo). Anyone taking offence needs to step back and think about what he said and wrote. Don't also forget that he will embelish the words for dramatic effect. If he said 'traditional' instead of 'primative' would the offence be as great? It's also his own objective view which he is paid to present. Noone should take it too seriously, amateur or not. 

Zulu

What's a modern approach go the game though?

Bogball XV

is that made up or can you back it up - I honestly don't know, it's just that since pauld kindly provided some stats on Cork half back scoring, i'd like to see figures from now on.
League and championship separate of course and number of games played will also be essential.

Dinny Breen

QuoteHe said that they beat a mediocre Down team by a point, and that's a fact.

That they beat Down by a point is a fact, that Down in 2010 were mediocre is an opinion.
#newbridgeornowhere

sheamy

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 27, 2011, 10:42:00 AM
QuoteHe said that they beat a mediocre Down team by a point, and that's a fact.

That they beat Down by a point is a fact, that Down in 2010 were mediocre is an opinion.

true

sheamy

Quote from: Zulu on July 27, 2011, 10:28:55 AM
What's a modern approach go the game though?

god knows! Can't believe I'm trying to explain what I think the wee bollix is saying but here goes...

Guessing at brolly's definition by following his ramblings, I think what he means is your defenders are also attackers as they are essential to breaking down a blanket defence e.g. marc and tomas o'se, jordan, harte and mcmenamim for tyrone. Total football if you like and gave the example of Joe McMahon joining the attack to score a 'square ball' goal V Armagh from full back. McMahon is equally comfortable at half forward as he would be at full back. Justin McMahon is the same. Cork don't have players like that, or so he maintains.

He stated that if anyone ties up Corks front two then they run around laterally handpassing etc and in general going nowhere like 75% of the dubs game from last year. Very like my own county only teams like Cork have a higher number of good footballers and so eventually 'bore' their way through. He stated that only lazy tackling for the penalty and subsequent frees cost Dublin that game. I can only assume he means that Dublin were modern in their approach.

His central point seemed to be that Cork's defenders couldn't also play as attackers - a fact which Davis was proud of and stated 'in his day he wasn't allowed to cross the half way line' blah blah. He seems to have the same warped view of history as Spillourke as I remember Davis clearly opening the scoring in the '93 final with a superb point from 40 yards.

Anyway, I think it's all balls. The team with the best footballers usually wins the AI in my view. Cork have more better footballers than most, as do Kerry and Tyrone.

Joe's world view is that Tyrone combine method with talent better than Kerry and so beat them in every serious occasion they met since 2003. Kerry tried to copy them and did so quite successfully but could never master them. Tyrone copied it from Armagh and did it better. Blah, blah, blah...

Dublin have some footballers but punch above their footballing ability total due to 'modern' methods which mainly focus around playing a basketball defence like Donegal - another team styled like Dublin having a certain amount of good players with the majority journey men and 'drones' as Joe calls them. 

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: sheamy on July 27, 2011, 11:50:15 AM
Joe's world view is that Tyrone combine method with talent better than Kerry and so beat them in every serious occasion they met since 1993 1986. Kerry tried to copy them and did so quite successfully but could never master them. Tyrone copied it from Armagh and did it better.

We're aiming for our quarter-century this year!  ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

sheamy

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on July 27, 2011, 12:00:23 PM
Quote from: sheamy on July 27, 2011, 11:50:15 AM
Joe's world view is that Tyrone combine method with talent better than Kerry and so beat them in every serious occasion they met since 1993 1986. Kerry tried to copy them and did so quite successfully but could never master them. Tyrone copied it from Armagh and did it better.

We're aiming for our quarter-century this year!  ;)
twas typo...amended now but you have a point :-)

stibhan

Brolly being the talented QC that he is
Brolly isn't a QC, but GAA fans seem to be constantly fascinated by mixing up the terms barrister and Queen's Counsel. There is a significant difference.

Zulu

I'm heading home for the quater finals so I'll get to all the teams bar Dublin and ill get a better appreciation of how teams play but I think cork do play a very modern game. Their midfielders and half backs get forward repeatedly and they mix the possession game with fast delivery quite well. Counihan isn't the greatest tactician in the world but I don't think cork play thoughtless football, though I agree they aren't maximising their potential.

On the brolly/Davis thing, I think Brolly is a decent analyst of modern football while Davis is woeful and unable to get across a coherent opinion.

borderfox

Davis is so boring and usually steers clear of criticizing any team no matter how bad they have been. Hes the Gary Lineker of the GAA world utterly boring with no edge whatsoever to his 'punditry'. Davis and Martin Carney are easily the worst pundits/ commentators in the country. Even Mark Sidebottom is better than these two.
At least Brolly has the balls to say something controversial and can usually back it up.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.