The Sunday Game

Started by Jinxy, May 11, 2008, 10:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

What does O'Hara do for a living? Is he a contractor who was working on the centre of excellence?

That's almost what the last line there seems to suggest. If so hell of a dig at him. If not then I'm obviously reading too much into it!

muppet

The Indo article above shows why the Sunday Game was the wrong forum.

It is now merely a 'spleen' between Walsh and O'Hara, and Walsh will stay silent and maintain the high moral ground. He may stay for the qualifier or he may go.

The CB now actually looks almost reasonable in this.

The reality according to the Sligo lads is very different, and obviously very frustrating. But the row is now on a national stage and there it will be diluted down to the lowest common denominator, which is a player versus a manager. And worse from a passionate Sligo supporter's point of view, people all over Ireland will have an opinion without knowing anything other than what they saw on the Sunday Game and the associated fallout.

@Hound & @Zulu what O'Hara actually said doesn't really matter anymore. It will be remembered (outside Sligo) as an ex-player having a go at his former manager as a new panelist on TSG and little else.
MWWSI 2017

AZOffaly

I understand what ye are saying lads, and I suppose it comes down to what do you expect an analyst, a paid, professional, analyst to bring to the party. Using his subjective view to slate someone from that pedastal is always distasteful in my opinion, and I feel the same about Brolly's character assassination of Grimley last week.

I think RTE are trying to make the Sunday Game 'edgy' for the past few years and this is just another flavour of it. "Disgruntled Ex-Player 'blasts' Sligo after defeat" is probably how a tabloid would play it, and I think that's what TSG is looking for. Tabloid TV.

I don't have a problem with someone using insight into a situation, which is why it's interesting to hear O'Rourke talk about Meath, etc etc, but I don't think what we saw on Sunday was that, I think it was someone with a major gripe, albeit legitimate, feeling vindicated and using the Sunday Game as a platform.

Just to say, I do think O'Hara was very composed and measured, it wasn't a rant by any means.

NAG1

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 28, 2013, 09:51:43 AM
I understand what ye are saying lads, and I suppose it comes down to what do you expect an analyst, a paid, professional, analyst to bring to the party. Using his subjective view to slate someone from that pedastal is always distasteful in my opinion, and I feel the same about Brolly's character assassination of Grimley last week.

I think RTE are trying to make the Sunday Game 'edgy' for the past few years and this is just another flavour of it. "Disgruntled Ex-Player 'blasts' Sligo after defeat" is probably how a tabloid would play it, and I think that's what TSG is looking for. Tabloid TV.

I don't have a problem with someone using insight into a situation, which is why it's interesting to hear O'Rourke talk about Meath, etc etc, but I don't think what we saw on Sunday was that, I think it was someone with a major gripe, albeit legitimate, feeling vindicated and using the Sunday Game as a platform.

Just to say, I do think O'Hara was very composed and measured, it wasn't a rant by any means.

Just on COM, during the live show, what was the dig at JB for regarding the summer house? Came pretty much out of the blue and seemed a little uncalled for, felt like he had it stored up and was dying to get it into the conversation at some point.

magpie seanie

Quote from: imtommygunn on May 28, 2013, 09:39:36 AM
What does O'Hara do for a living? Is he a contractor who was working on the centre of excellence?

That's almost what the last line there seems to suggest. If so hell of a dig at him. If not then I'm obviously reading too much into it!

He is a rep for a healthcare company as far as I know. That line does read funny alright but if you knew the gentleman in question you'd understand!

muppet

Quote from: magpie seanie on May 28, 2013, 10:07:51 AM
Quote from: imtommygunn on May 28, 2013, 09:39:36 AM

He is a rep for a healthcare company as far as I know. That line does read funny alright but if you knew the gentleman in question you'd understand!

Quote"And as for the failure to finish the centre of excellence that Eamonn referred to, we will not ask him back to finish the job until we have finance in place to pay the contractor."

It does read like that alright. Well spotted!
MWWSI 2017

johnneycool

Quote from: NAG1 on May 28, 2013, 09:58:32 AM

Just on COM, during the live show, what was the dig at JB for regarding the summer house? Came pretty much out of the blue and seemed a little uncalled for, felt like he had it stored up and was dying to get it into the conversation at some point.

I thought I heard O'Rourke going on about a summer house with a pool inside and outside over the noise of the youngsters fighting over lego.

Was he suggesting Brolly's fawning over Donegal was that he spends a bit of time there??

muppet

On this particular issue: "And as for the failure to finish the centre of excellence that Eamonn referred to, we will not ask him back to finish the job until we have finance in place to pay the contractor."

They obviously went ahead and partially built this facility without having the finance in place to complete the job. What is the story there?
MWWSI 2017

magpie seanie

Quote from: muppet on May 28, 2013, 10:28:08 AM
On this particular issue: "And as for the failure to finish the centre of excellence that Eamonn referred to, we will not ask him back to finish the job until we have finance in place to pay the contractor."

They obviously went ahead and partially built this facility without having the finance in place to complete the job. What is the story there?

There's nothing obvious about it to be honest. It's a long story and very much caught in the crossfire of the split. Instead of unifying and focussing on this - the most important venture in Sligo GAA history in my view - there has been massive infighting. The guys who were heading up this project are no longer involved. Finance is an issue, not just for this project but for the county board in day to day terms. I understand it's significant but not insurmountable but unity and a common purpose is required and it's very hard to see it happening. Morale among clubs and grassroots members is at an all time low in my (albeit limited) experience.

In the GAA there are plenty of people you don't like or don't like you but I always think you have to work together as best you can. It's like playing football - if that asshole team mate scores a goal off your pass the team wins. Unfortunately, in Sligo GAA enough people don't seem to see it that way.

imtommygunn

To an extent that's a human nature thing though Seanie. Some of the people who go on these boards are power hungry and don't like sharing it. That's not exclusive to Sligo however the thing that is required on these boards is that you get people who like you say can work together and will put their egos aside for the sake of the progress of what they are there for. Too many people of that ilk will not work and never does. It sounds like you have too many people of that ilk.

In Antrim there were a vast number of non too progressive guys for a lot of years. It's much better than it was but still a bit to go.

What about county convention etc? Can these guys not be voted out?

mylestheslasher

Quote from: johnneycool on May 28, 2013, 10:25:26 AM

I thought I heard O'Rourke going on about a summer house with a pool inside and outside over the noise of the youngsters fighting over lego.

Was he suggesting Brolly's fawning over Donegal was that he spends a bit of time there??

That conversation was a good and well deserved "score" for O Rourke. Brolly was wittering on about how Donegal last year could afford to foul around the 45 meter line with impunity and how they would now have to rethink given the scoring range that the Tyrone keeper has. O Rourke cut in and said it was curious how Joe was now talking about Donegals cynical fouling when before last years all ireland he came out and made reference to Mayo being a cynical team and no mention of Donegal. He then said maybe its because Joe is building a big house in Donegal and is their cheerleader. It was a point well made in my opinion. Then Joe knows rightly its all about publicity and no one is quite like the Mayo's to take the bait.

muppet

It is pathetic that after two great victories for Cavan and London in the last two weekends, look what TSG has reduced the conversation to.
MWWSI 2017

Declan

In general I think any of the "analysts" shouldn't be involved in covering their own counties games. It''s an amateur sport and they are less likely to be impartial and give an honest opinion with out being accused of bias etc.

theticklemister

Quote from: Declan on May 28, 2013, 12:25:22 PM
In general I think any of the "analysts" shouldn't be involved in covering their own counties games. It''s an amateur sport and they are less likely to be impartial and give an honest opinion with out being accused of bias etc.

Think Joe will go easy on Derry next week or his home village mucker big McGilligan might take a trip to Belfast.............

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: johnneycool on May 28, 2013, 10:25:26 AM

That was the gist of it.
Michael Lyster did his usual 'careful now' act and stopped them before it got interesting.