The Sunday Game

Started by Jinxy, May 11, 2008, 10:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

From the Bunker

How long is Spillane doing this gig now? His number is has to be up soon! We get little or no personal statistical analysis. Any Stats are got from newspapers etc. He follows the traditional view of counties.  He is clearly being left behind by Brolly, McStay and O'Rourke. He is clearly stuck in a time warp of 70's GAA, dreaming of High fetching, Long balls into the full forward line, 1-3-3-2-3-3 formations, Ulster Counties being the nice counties that come to Croker for the day out. Ah i could go on. Last nights remarks regarding GPS and Blanket defenses. The week before's remark that Mayo should have beaten Galway by 10 goals - 80 points to prove they were a top team!

ross matt

O'Hara kicked a man when he's down. And he had the benefit of the national media to do so. How was last year "papering over the cracks" ? They beat Galway (yes I know they're poor at the moment but they're still Galway) and they ran a powerful ultimately AI runner up Mayo side to a narrow margin in the Connacht final.

O'Hara was one of my favourite players and has the makings of a decent analysist (and I agree its time to pension of Spillane) but I was disappointed with Eamon's comments Sunday night. He was working off his own personal agenda. At 37 he was well past his best and he knows it.

Familarity breeds contempt and Kevin Walsh has probably taken Sligo as far as he can. But he was a double AI winner and a 3 times allstar as a player. He is a manager who's reign with Sligo was impressive. He went down against a London side who have been threatening to do this for a number of years whilst (thanks to immigration for here) they've been getting stronger. He obviously gambled and got it wrong.

He deserves to leave on his own terms. Not to be publicly humiliated on tv by a former great who could hardly conceal his smugness at his former playing colleague's downfall. Eamon should have had more class of the field similar to when he was on it. Des Cahill didnt set him up with the question. It was all well rehearsed and both of them knew exactly what they were doing.

Zulu

Quote from: Mayo Mick on May 27, 2013, 11:18:13 PM
QuoteQuote
I'll leave it if you don't understand analysis or the role of a pundit or are too loyal to recently retired players.

Are you saying that of me? I'm not a Sligo man so I couldn't care less about O'Hara beyond his analysis which I thought was poor the first night but was honest and reasoned last night.

Yes - saying it of you. Did not think you were from Sligo but you did seem intent on defending   O'Hara's call for Walshe's resignation " as analysis"!! And you seem to miss the point that O'Hara is on the TSG panel as a national pundit andit is not a  forum for him to address the ills of Sligo football. The lad just let his own ego get in the way of the job he was supposed to be doing. As I said not helped by the question from Cahill.

Of course it's analysis, as I said you can't disassociate off field issues from on field performances. Sometimes it isn't a major factor and sometimes it is and that seems to be the case here. How you say he should ignore this when asked about the result is beyond me and would suggest you are unaware of what analysis is. I'll leave it that as we have different interpretations of O'Hara's views and neither of us are going to change our fundamental opinion.

muppet

Quote from: ross matt on May 27, 2013, 11:35:53 PM
O'Hara kicked a man when he's down. And he had the benefit of the national media to do so. How was last year "papering over the cracks" ? They beat Galway (yes I know they're poor at the moment but they're still Galway) and they ran a powerful ultimately AI runner up Mayo side to a narrow margin in the Connacht final.

O'Hara was one of my favourite players and has the makings of a decent analysist (and I agree its time to pension of Spillane) but I was disappointed with Eamon's comments Sunday night. He was working off his own personal agenda. At 37 he was well past his best and he knows it.

Familarity breeds contempt and Kevin Walsh has probably taken Sligo as far as he can. But he was a double AI winner and a 3 times allstar as a player. He is a manager who's reign with Sligo was impressive. He went down against a London side who have been threatening to do this for a number of years whilst (thanks to immigration for here) they've been getting stronger. He obviously gambled and got it wrong.

He deserves to leave on his own terms. Not to be publicly humiliated on tv by a former great who could hardly conceal his smugness at his former playing colleague's downfall. Eamon should have had more class of the field similar to when he was on it. Des Cahill didnt set him up with the question. It was all well rehearsed and both of them knew exactly what they were doing.

Interesting point.

I posted this photo during the match. The comment with it said Eamonn was watching the score in London on twitter. It was put up on twitter by Des Cahill and presumably (although I have no way of knowing) taken by Des.

Quote from: muppet on May 26, 2013, 03:57:01 PM
Getting nervous:

MWWSI 2017

SLIGONIAN

"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Hound

Having read the comments on this thread before seeing the actual programme, I was a tad disappointed at the lack of fireworks!

O'Hara was calm and reasoned and, in my opinion, was giving his honest views. He basically said he didnt rate Walsh as a manager, but it was clearly explained beforehand the reasons how/why O'Hara is biased against Walsh. So its up to the viewer to take all that into account.

Zulu

My feelings exactly hound. Definitely not a hatch job from O'Hara. All he did was his job as an analyst - gave his opinion based on the facts as he knows them.

AZOffaly

Can't agree lads. As I said, I'm sure his comments are accurate, but I don't see how an ex-player, with aspirations to still be playing, can be an objective analyst on games he feels he should still be involved in, especially when the team lose and he feels he has an axe to grind. That's not analysis in my book.

But I do understand the frustration and I'm sure he's correct. I just don't like the way RTE and he approached this subject.

magpie seanie

Sligonian - Comical Ali to the rescue!!! "No major splits!!!!

From the Irish Independent:

Sligo throw weight behind boss Walsh after O'Hara broadside
0Comments
EmailPrintFont Size 6
Kevin Walsh, Sligo
Colm Keys – 28 May 2013

Sligo County Board have given their full backing to manager Kevin Walsh in the wake of former All Star Eamonn O'Hara's call for him to step down.

O'Hara used the platform of 'The Sunday Game' to criticise Walsh's tactical nous and suggested that he had "lost" the players.

But Sligo secretary Gerard O'Connor insisted that there was no question of Walsh (above) being pushed out of the job or leaving before the end of the year on the back of Sunday's defeat to London. The indications are, however, that Walsh will end his time with Sligo when he completes his fifth season in charge.

OPINIONS

O'Connor said O'Hara was entitled to his opinions but added it was "obvious there is a personality clash or spleen between him and the manager, but it's nothing to do with Sligo County Board".

Walsh was not available to comment on O'Hara's outburst on Sunday night, which concluded with a call to step down.

O'Hara had wanted to play on for a 19th championship season but claims Walsh produced a comeback deadline last November that he couldn't meet.

"It is very easy to be critical at times like this, but what's forgotten is that London have been threatening to pull off a result like this for quite some time," O'Connor added.

"It is important to remember that Kevin Walsh brought us up two divisions in the league in his first two years as well as reaching two Connacht finals.

"Eamonn is a commentator and he is paid for his comments, but that is just his opinion."

O'Connor also refuted the suggestion that Sligo GAA was split at administrative level .

"There are no major splits in the board. People didn't take up posts for their own reasons.

"And as for the failure to finish the centre of excellence that Eamonn referred to, we will not ask him back to finish the job until we have finance in place to pay the contractor."

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: magpie seanie on May 28, 2013, 08:49:19 AM
Sligonian - Comical Ali to the rescue!!! "No major splits!!!!

From the Irish Independent:

Sligo throw weight behind boss Walsh after O'Hara broadside
0Comments
EmailPrintFont Size 6
Kevin Walsh, Sligo
Colm Keys – 28 May 2013

Sligo County Board have given their full backing to manager Kevin Walsh in the wake of former All Star Eamonn O'Hara's call for him to step down.

O'Hara used the platform of 'The Sunday Game' to criticise Walsh's tactical nous and suggested that he had "lost" the players.

But Sligo secretary Gerard O'Connor insisted that there was no question of Walsh (above) being pushed out of the job or leaving before the end of the year on the back of Sunday's defeat to London. The indications are, however, that Walsh will end his time with Sligo when he completes his fifth season in charge.

OPINIONS

O'Connor said O'Hara was entitled to his opinions but added it was "obvious there is a personality clash or spleen between him and the manager, but it's nothing to do with Sligo County Board".

Walsh was not available to comment on O'Hara's outburst on Sunday night, which concluded with a call to step down.

O'Hara had wanted to play on for a 19th championship season but claims Walsh produced a comeback deadline last November that he couldn't meet.

"It is very easy to be critical at times like this, but what's forgotten is that London have been threatening to pull off a result like this for quite some time," O'Connor added.

"It is important to remember that Kevin Walsh brought us up two divisions in the league in his first two years as well as reaching two Connacht finals.

"Eamonn is a commentator and he is paid for his comments, but that is just his opinion."

O'Connor also refuted the suggestion that Sligo GAA was split at administrative level .

"There are no major splits in the board. People didn't take up posts for their own reasons.

"And as for the failure to finish the centre of excellence that Eamonn referred to, we will not ask him back to finish the job until we have finance in place to pay the contractor."
Lying bastard, this shows the c***ts up for what they are, gutless, spineless, vindicative. Public they lie, privately its so different. Its just so sad. Whilst Sligo GAA suffers.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

magpie seanie

"Nothing to do with Sligo County Board"!!!!!!!! Thanks Eamonn for your 19 odd years service - take your shafting like a nice little boy and go away.

highorlow

QuoteI'd say there was a better chance Walsh leaving if O'Hara kept his trap shut than there is now. He will probably stay on now out of spite.

as predicted
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

Hound

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 28, 2013, 08:33:45 AM
Can't agree lads. As I said, I'm sure his comments are accurate, but I don't see how an ex-player, with aspirations to still be playing, can be an objective analyst on games he feels he should still be involved in, especially when the team lose and he feels he has an axe to grind. That's not analysis in my book.

But I do understand the frustration and I'm sure he's correct. I just don't like the way RTE and he approached this subject.
Nobody anywhere claimed he was objective. He was stating his own subjective opinion.
But no matter who was doing the analysis - Sligo losing to London in Connacht championship for the first time in XXX years - was going to slate the Sligo manager, regardless of them being an objective neutral or not. 

Zulu

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 28, 2013, 08:33:45 AM

But that's more a case of your interpretation of O'Hara's comments AZ. If you were asked to comment on Offaly or Tipp football you'd have more of an insight than if asked about Antrim football for example. Surely you'd be entitled to refer to the work being done at club level in Tipp etc. during your analysis. If that happened to be critical I don't see why it would be out of bounds. If Sligo hammered London and O'Hara said Walsh was brilliant because of X, Y or Z nobody would criticise him but because he is critical he should shut his mouth? If he unnecessarily personal then yeah he'd be out of line but he stuck to football IMO.