The Sunday Game

Started by Jinxy, May 11, 2008, 10:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

Quote from: Syferus on May 27, 2013, 06:14:05 PM
Quote from: muppet on May 27, 2013, 05:59:33 PM
Quote from: Syferus on May 27, 2013, 05:38:25 PM
The question is if it gets the job done inside of Sligo of highlighting and focusing minds on the problems in the county why should they care how others perceive O'Hara's reaction?

You like the idea of nationally scapegoating Kevin Walsh, when at worst he is only a part of a bigger problem?

Nope, and I think it's clear he's going to be a big loser when all the dust settles. This seems to have been a moment that's been building in Sligo GAA for some time now and the county can't worry about Walsh's reputation if it's going to make in-roads in improving things.

Given how a lot of places (and people) are running down O'Hara, Walsh might find some sympathetic ears when he can talk frankly.

If O'Hara is representing the truth, which the reliable Sligo lads on here insist is the case, then imho Walsh's position is now completely untenable. If he is smart he will step aside this week. Then what?
MWWSI 2017

AZOffaly

The problem I have with this is that Eamonn O'Hara was given a platform on National TV to have a pop at a manager and county board. He is supposed to be a pundit, analysing things. Instead he used an RTE provided soapbox to have a lash out. This was not an analyst, this was a frustrated player ranting at the management and county board, and using a position on the Sunday Game to do so. I don't think that's right.

I don't really blame O'Hara but I think it's just another example of TSG looking for sensationalism and controversy rather than actual analysis.

He's probably 100% in what he said by the way, if Seanie and a couple of others here say so, then I believe it.

Syferus

Quote from: muppet on May 27, 2013, 06:34:06 PM
The question is if it gets the job done inside of Sligo of highlighting and focusing minds on the problems in the county why should they care how others perceive O'Hara's reaction?

You like the idea of nationally scapegoating Kevin Walsh, when at worst he is only a part of a bigger problem?

Nope, and I think it's clear he's going to be a big loser when all the dust settles. This seems to have been a moment that's been building in Sligo GAA for some time now and the county can't worry about Walsh's reputation if it's going to make in-roads in improving things.

Given how a lot of places (and people) are running down O'Hara, Walsh might find some sympathetic ears when he can talk frankly.

If O'Hara is representing the truth, which the reliable Sligo lads on here insist is the case, then imho Walsh's position is now completely untenable. If he is smart he will step aside this week. Then what?

Depends on the pressure clubs put on the county board, I guess. O'Hara as a player-manager seems an intriguing choice as a care-taker for the rest of the season, though he's obviously set the bridge with the county board burning after last night.

Does Walsh have a bit of Banty in him, though?

muppet

Quote from: Syferus on May 27, 2013, 06:46:26 PM

Depends on the pressure clubs put on the county board, I guess. O'Hara as a player-manager seems an intriguing choice as a care-taker for the rest of the season, though he's obviously set the bridge with the county board burning after last night.

This cannot happen now, after he spoke out on TSG, surely you can see that?
MWWSI 2017

Syferus

Quote from: muppet on May 27, 2013, 06:56:57 PM

Hence the part after what you bolded  :o

muppet

Quote from: Syferus on May 27, 2013, 06:59:51 PM
Quote from: muppet on May 27, 2013, 06:56:57 PM

Hence the part after what you bolded  :o

More than that, every player rebellion will see a star player appear on TSG panel airing their grievances if that happens.
MWWSI 2017

highorlow

I have some sympathy for Walsh mainly given that O'Hara chose his words poorly and also in the forum he chose to do it.

Hanging a man in such a personal way on prime time tv is a cold thing to do.

In saying that I would say that managers have to live by their decisions and as Mayo and James Horan know all too well it's a fine line between success and failure. When failure does arrive you have to factor in the size of the failure itself.

Losing to London a few years back would have been a massive upset  but given their improvement over the last while I wouldn't regard yesterday as a huge upset.

Sligo need to dust themselves down now for the qualifiers and get on with it and take the back door route. I'd say there was a better chance Walsh leaving if O'Hara kept his trap shut than there is now. He will probably stay on now out of spite.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

Syferus

Quote from: highorlow on May 27, 2013, 07:38:47 PM
I have some sympathy for Walsh mainly given that O'Hara chose his words poorly and also in the forum he chose to do it.

Hanging a man in such a personal way on prime time tv is a cold thing to do.

In saying that I would say that managers have to live by their decisions and as Mayo and James Horan know all too well it's a fine line between success and failure. When failure does arrive you have to factor in the size of the failure itself.

Losing to London a few years back would have been a massive upset  but given their improvement over the last while I wouldn't regard yesterday as a huge upset.

Sligo need to dust themselves down now for the qualifiers and get on with it and take the back door route. I'd say there was a better chance Walsh leaving if O'Hara kept his trap shut than there is now. He will probably stay on now out of spite.

Absolutely not.

thejuice

O'Hara seems to have really taken to the job RTE have given him. He has everyone talking about this which is what they want.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Wildweasel74

well better that than another joe show this week!

Zulu

Really surprised by how many here are criticising O'Hara. When I read some of the comments I thought he must really have done a job on Walsh but having seen the clip I can't see what all the fuss is about. He gave a reasoned, honest answer to the question posed, i.e. what he should do as an analyst. If he wasn't willing to elaborate on the one county which he would have genuine knowledge of then he shouldn't be there at all. I didn't think he was harsh on Walsh either as a lot of Sligo folk were saying the same thing beforehand. I doubt O'Hara will have regrets over his comments for the simple reason the were reasoned and spoken without malice IMO.

Zulu

I've no doubt he has his own agenda but that's true of us all. His experiences of Walsh may not have been positive but I didn't feel he was kicking a man when he was down simple because he had the chance, I just thought he was being honest and he stated that Kevin had the right to seek full commitment and to recall Kilcullen. I really didn't feel he was knifing a man on national TV but was simply calling it he saw it and that is what he should do IMO.

rodney trotter

People are looking into his criticism of Walsh a bit much, there will be plenty of red faces in the Sligo Co board because they got the dig - and maybe rightly so. A new Centre of Excellence not near complete and work has stalled, people resigning from the County board. O Hara is passionate about his county and fair play, Walsh has been there 5/6 years,. Maybe he hung in there a year too long, and things got a bit lax this year.

Walsh was suppose to be lining up other jobs at the end of last year too, which hardly went down well either.

ck

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 27, 2013, 06:44:31 PM
The problem I have with this is that Eamonn O'Hara was given a platform on National TV to have a pop at a manager and county board. He is supposed to be a pundit, analysing things. Instead he used an RTE provided soapbox to have a lash out. This was not an analyst, this was a frustrated player ranting at the management and county board, and using a position on the Sunday Game to do so. I don't think that's right.

I don't really blame O'Hara but I think it's just another example of TSG looking for sensationalism and controversy rather than actual analysis.

He's probably 100% in what he said by the way, if Seanie and a couple of others here say so, then I believe it.

How was it not analysis? He gave a solid insight and analysis of Sligo football. Would you rather him blame the goalkeepers poor kickouts or the lack of ability to win break ball? Or do you want him to share the home truths he knows to be true as to why we lost?

Fair play to Eamon O'Hara. He speaks out for the betterment of Sligo football and speaks for many Sligo GAA people in the process

Mayo Mick

Quote from: ck on May 27, 2013, 09:29:57 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on May 27, 2013, 06:44:31 PM

How was it not analysis? He gave a solid insight and analysis of Sligo football. Would you rather him blame the goalkeepers poor kickouts or the lack of ability to win break ball? Or do you want him to share the home truths he knows to be true as to why we lost?

Fair play to Eamon O'Hara. He speaks out for the betterment of Sligo football and speaks for many Sligo GAA people in the process[/b

O'Hara lowered the blade and forgot that the gig is to provide football analysis not whining about the inner workings of Sligo GAA from his perspective.   Failed completely in his first big test on TV.  Wasn't helped by Cahill who continues to look Junior B standard. Anyway far too much talk on Sunday Game and not enough action from the games not covered live.
If You Don't Bring Home The Bacon, You'll Get Treated Like A Pig!!