The Sunday Game

Started by Jinxy, May 11, 2008, 10:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: sheamy on June 18, 2012, 09:33:46 AM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on June 17, 2012, 10:47:41 PM
What purpose does it serve to show Davy Fitz swearing, seriously you'd wonder have the people complaining ever been involved in sport when emotions are high and intense.

It was car crash tv. You could even see how uncomfortable Cahill was raising it, not to mention the panel discussing it.

'Ah look now,...'

I was laughing at Eddie laughing in the background. Surprised, yet not in the least surprised, that they aired the clip.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

thejuice

It would be interesting to see if TV3 were to have a similar highlights show on at the same time. If TV3 could keep up the quality of analysis they they have for their live broadcasts it would be strong competition.

I wonder how RTE would react.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

ck

The Sunday Game has gone down the tubes. Des Cathal is a bumbling bafoon and a really poor presenter. As for Spillane last night, I usually enjoy his oul nonsence but last night he annoyed me. Now he has Donegal in as 3rd best team in the country after taking lumps out of them last year. I personally detest the new era of defensive football and at least Pat was consistant in his criticism it. Now he jumps on the bandwagon. He just says anything to be controversial, doesnt matter if it's accurate. A typical hindsight pundit - zero foresight! That's why he's on a couch and not on the sidelines!

The day time show with Michael Leister is much better. The night time version is becoming cheap and tacky.

magpie seanie

Quote from: here comes 6 on June 17, 2012, 10:57:22 PM
Des Cahill is the biggest mistake the Sunday game has ever made

Yes and that's saying something.

Jinxy

Quote from: ck on June 18, 2012, 05:17:07 PM
The Sunday Game has gone down the tubes. Des Cathal is a bumbling bafoon and a really poor presenter. As for Spillane last night, I usually enjoy his oul nonsence but last night he annoyed me. Now he has Donegal in as 3rd best team in the country after taking lumps out of them last year. I personally detest the new era of defensive football and at least Pat was consistant in his criticism it. Now he jumps on the bandwagon. He just says anything to be controversial, doesnt matter if it's accurate. A typical hindsight pundit - zero foresight! That's why he's on a couch and not on the sidelines!

The day time show with Michael Leister is much better. The night time version is becoming cheap and tacky.

List out the most 'defensive' teams in your opinion.
Now list out the teams that regularly score in excess of 15 points per game.
We live in an era of attacking football as much as we live in an era of defensive football.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Gold

Quote from: magpie seanie on June 18, 2012, 05:20:33 PM

Does no one remember when Pat presented it?
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

screenexile

Quote from: Gold on June 18, 2012, 11:38:54 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on June 18, 2012, 05:20:33 PM

Does no one remember when Pat presented it?

:'( :'( :'( :'(

Why ... Why did you have to remind us of that abomination!!

ck

When Spillane presented the Sunday Game a few years back I had a cousin home from America who wouldnt believe me that Spillane was a real presenter and not a comedy sketch!

magpie seanie

I think Cahill is worse because he should know better.

mylestheslasher

Some bluffers on this show. Martin McHugh tonight came up with another classic. Two of Ulsters weaker teams, Cavan and Fermanagh, are playing. Instead of actually finding out what happened he makes it up. Martin reckons the game turned in Cavans favour when Givney went off injured forcing Cavan to play Gearoid McKiernan at midfield. Great stuff Martin except its complete bollocks...

- McKiernan was named at Ctr forward in the program but played the entire game at midfield and was never moved anywhere.
- Givney was named in midfield but started in the FF line and was later moved out to Ctr forward.
- Givney went off injured in the 1st half, Cavan were 3 points down at that stage.
- 15 minutes into the 2nd half Cavan were 6 points down, so this turn around happened long after Givney went off.
- The turnaround happened just after Declan McKiernan came on and went into midfield, substituted on for Mark McKeever.

How much would it take for McHugh to actually find out some detail of the game before spouting shite on TV?

tierworker blue

Yeah, badly researched by Mc Hugh...he got a few details a**eways.
Still, t'was more positive from him than the last analysis of Cavan...he acknowledged that we were double u-21 and last year's minor champions, but in the same breath moaned and threw the eyes up to heaven saying that we 'just don't have the talent coming through!' (he must've said that 3 or 4 times in that particular interview!) I don't know who annoyed him that day, but he really stuck the boot in!

Ard-Rí

Some of the qualifier round up commentaries sounded like text-to-speech generators.
Ar son Éireann Gaelaí

Captain Obvious

Some of the camera work on those qualifier games was atrocious.

theticklemister

At least mcstay corrected carneys woeful rules knowledge from earlier on in the day by stating tomas oconnor's point should never have stood

Main Street

In that company (McHugh and Cahill), McStay appeared composed and knowledgeable.