Mick O'Dwyer

Started by Bud Wiser, November 05, 2007, 09:34:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stephenite

Quote from: ross matt on November 05, 2007, 11:41:58 PM
Come down off the high horse Stephenite (and whatever else you're on). Nobody is putting words in your mouth FFS.

I was'nt referring to you when I said "giving his life to the GAA". Read the earlier posts and the gist of yesterdays excerpts from his book not to mention the widespread plaudits on an almost daily basis from the indo over the last week and you''ll see what I was talking about. 

I also made it clear I did'nt begrudge him reasonable re-imbursement for his mileage etc but I think you're being deliberately naive about it and overall very defensive and sensitive about the man. Seems to be common reaction when people level criticism at Micko. Definitely a sacred cow.

I'm not on a high anything Matt - you started a sentence with my name and finished it with the comment asking for less of the nonsense about givinghis life to the GAA - how else was I take it but assume it was directed at me?

I'm not being overly defensive of the man - I cannot understand how a man who has achieved what he has in the game is the subject of such vitriol by people I know to be good solid GAA men. The only conclusion I can draw is that it is because of 'rumours' regarding the payments he is alleged to have received.
I think this is unfair as 1) There is nothing to substantiate these rumours and 2) There are a host of other managers who have allegedly received as much if not more for far less achievement and I'm amazed why this is never mentioned.

Some people seem to see him as a journeyman who will travel anywhere for the money - but ne'er a mention of his protege Pawdee and several other high profile managers who have done the rounds of various counties

mannix

Micko is definetly going where the money is.Do you really think he is in wicklow because he liked Glenroe?

heffo

Quote from: stephenite on November 05, 2007, 11:24:49 PM
Quote from: ross matt on November 05, 2007, 11:07:33 PM
Stephenite that's politically correct bullshit and you know it. Do you honestly think he put up all those years of high mileage because "he loves driving"?  Incidentally I have no major issue with him being re-imbursed for his time (within reason) but less of this nonsense about how "he gave his life to the GAA" etc..

Where did I mention anything about him giving his life to the GAA, stop putting words in my mouth that I had no intention of saying,

You have no idea what Micko received over the years, neither do I.

I'm a Dublin county board officer and I know how many figures annually he was looking for.

He has a keen sense of what he's worth annually.

his holiness nb

Quote from: heffo on November 06, 2007, 10:08:32 AM

I'm a Dublin county board officer and I know how many figures annually he was looking for.

Ah come on, your not.  ;)
Ask me holy bollix

heffo

Quote from: his holiness nb on November 06, 2007, 10:25:39 AM
Quote from: heffo on November 06, 2007, 10:08:32 AM

Ah come on, your not.  ;)

Unfortunatly, I am.

I'm not gonna field any complaints about fixtures or anything else though!

DUBSFORSAM1

I personally would have been delighted to have Micko in charge of Dublin - if nothing else he would have instilled a confidence in the Dublin players which is missing and is probably our biggest letdown...

With regards to Kildare compare before and after he was there and see how well he did....the same with Laois (who were seriously overrated becuase they had won underage medals - the problem was they had won them with small light teams which weren't suited to senior football)...

So what if he got some money out of it but then again how many club managers get paid these days??? Harte/Kernan/O'Connor etc have got lucky in that they have been around in the era of the backdoor system - would be interesting to see what would have happened if the backdoor didn't exist

Bensars

Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on November 06, 2007, 11:05:54 AM
I personally would have been delighted to have Micko in charge of Dublin - if nothing else he would have instilled a confidence in the Dublin players which is missing and is probably our biggest letdown...

With regards to Kildare compare before and after he was there and see how well he did....the same with Laois (who were seriously overrated becuase they had won underage medals - the problem was they had won them with small light teams which weren't suited to senior football)...

So what if he got some money out of it but then again how many club managers get paid these days??? Harte/Kernan/O'Connor etc have got lucky in that they have been around in the era of the backdoor system - would be interesting to see what would have happened if the backdoor didn't exist

Yet another clinker.

2002 Armagh . Ulster champions. All Ireland Campions.  Managed by Kernan
2003 Tyrone . Ulster champions. All Ireland Campions.  Managed by Harte

Kerry, different league altogether. Countless all irelands as munster champions

his holiness nb

Quote from: Bensars on November 06, 2007, 11:17:34 AM

Or to put it another way, Tyrone won half of all their all Irelands through the back door system, 2005 being the difference maker between being a great team and a one season wonder.

Ask me holy bollix

DUBSFORSAM1

Bensars - If there was no backdoor system and Tyrone regularly were being knocked out in Ulster would Harte still be getting recognised as being such a great manager???
Kernan 1 All-Ireland out of how many attempts?????

With the backdoor system in place teams could take a totally different approach to matches as they knew they had a 2nd chance which didn't exist previously....

Remember as most people agree Kernan had the best Armagh panel of all time and Harte the best Tyrone panel available....Once Harte lost a couple of players to injury he wasn't able to compensate so it was the players more than the manager who were the reason for success....

Gnevin

Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on November 06, 2007, 11:32:24 AM
Bensars - If there was no backdoor system and Tyrone regularly were being knocked out in Ulster would Harte still be getting recognised as being such a great manager???

With the backdoor system in place teams could take a totally different approach to matches as they knew they had a 2nd chance which didn't exist previously....

Remember as most people agree Kernan had the best Armagh panel of all time and Harte the best Tyrone panel available....Once Harte lost a couple of players to injury he wasn't able to compensate so it was the players more than the manager who were the reason for success....

You talking like Tyrone are dead and buried . Their is a other All-Ireland in that team yet
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

DUBSFORSAM1

Quote from: Gnevin on November 06, 2007, 01:45:07 PM
Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on November 06, 2007, 11:32:24 AM

Not talking as if they are dead and buried but for them to win another AI they need  - McGuigan back fully fit and as good as he was, O'Neill back fully fit and as good as he was, Dooher fully fit and as good as he was, Cavanagh/Gormley to stay fully fit, a new full back and possibly 2 new midfielders (Cavanagh should be half forward for Tyrone)
You talking like Tyrone are dead and buried . Their is a other All-Ireland in that team yet

Bensars

I thought this thread was about Mick o Dywer. The odd comparison is expected to other managers etc   ???? :-\

his holiness nb

Quote from: Gnevin on November 06, 2007, 01:45:07 PM

No theres not  :D
Ask me holy bollix

tyssam5

Quote from: his holiness nb on November 06, 2007, 11:24:15 AM
Quote from: Bensars on November 06, 2007, 11:17:34 AM

Or to put it another way, Tyrone won half of all their all Irelands through the back door system, 2005 being the difference maker between being a great team and a one season wonder.

Works both ways, this year Tyrone won Ulster and were beaten by a 'back-door' team. In general I would agree that it gives the best team a better chance of winning though.

JOEPPT

Read a bit of it in Sunday papers. Great article. He has his views on most things and is at a stage of his life that he can say what he likes. Like all the others is also looking for the Xmas book market