Mick O'Dwyer

Started by Bud Wiser, November 05, 2007, 09:34:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Star Spangler on November 05, 2007, 04:31:32 PM
Quote from: The Real Laoislad on November 05, 2007, 04:11:07 PM
How did he destroy Laois Tankie? We hadn't won a Leinster in 57 years until he came along and with a bit more luck probably should have won 3 in a row
Maybe he stayed a year too long with us but i'll be forever gratefull with what he done for us.

I think this shows the reason he got away with it in Laois.  One Leinster was the height of the supporters expectation when in reality they had the ability to achieve so much  more.

I don't think  they did have the abilty to acheive more to be honest..I think the next batch of U/21s and minors are far more talented and bigger physically..
Once they don't all go downunder we should be ok in a few years time
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Gnevin

Quote from: Star Spangler on November 05, 2007, 04:31:32 PM
How did he destroy Laois Tankie? We hadn't won a Leinster in 57 years until he came along and with a bit more luck probably should have won 3 in a row
Maybe he stayed a year too long with us but i'll be forever gratefull with what he done for us.

I think this shows the reason he got away with it in Laois.  One Leinster was the height of the supporters expectation when in reality they had the ability to achieve so much  more.
I have to agree in 05 Laois took Dublin to a point by 06 they where blown out of the water . The teams didn't really change Dublin's tactics and skill levels did . One Leinster is/was a poor return for this team
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Star Spangler

I wouldn't even give him credit for the one Leinster he got.  It was won at a time when there was fcuk all else in Leinster.

Tankie

Quote from: Star Spangler on November 05, 2007, 04:39:28 PM
I wouldn't even give him credit for the one Leinster he got.  It was won at a time when there was fcuk all else in Leinster.

totally agree with that but i just didnt want to be the one to say it. its like Dublin at the moment, if we don't walk through leinster every yeaqr its a bad showing on our behalf as the standard is stil shocking other than Dublin.

Micko has done alot for the organisation but he aint all he's cracked up to be in the modern game.
Grand Slam Saturday!

darbyo

Micko gets an excessively hard time around here. He has given his life to the GAA and is one of the few GAA personalities that would be readily recognised by people with little interest in the games. He isn't a brilliant coach IMO but he brings that X-factor wherever he goes and this energises the GAA in that county, which can only be a good thing. According to some lads unless you cut the grass at your local club in the dead of night so nobody knows who you are and thus avoid getting any recognition your not subscribibg to the ideals of the GAA and aren't a 'true' GAA man.

Gnevin

Quote from: darbyo on November 05, 2007, 05:09:29 PM
Micko gets an excessively hard time around here. He has given his life to the GAA and is one of the few GAA personalities that would be readily recognised by people with little interest in the games. He isn't a brilliant coach IMO but he brings that X-factor wherever he goes and this energises the GAA in that county, which can only be a good thing. According to some lads unless you cut the grass at your local club in the dead of night so nobody knows who you are and thus avoid getting any recognition your not subscribibg to the ideals of the GAA and aren't a 'true' GAA man.
What the hell are you talking about? Who said he wasn't a true gaa man? This post has nothing to do with the rest of this thread
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

magpie seanie

QuoteHe has given his life to the GAA

Micko the martyr! Take the poor man down off the cross! He has been well looked after for his donation of his life as you put it, unlike loads of other folk.

His acheivements with the best group of players ever assembled together at one time are significant in that he managed to keep them going and got the best out of them. I feel that the average punter in the street in Kildare, Laois (and maybe even Wicklow) will think he did great work and did well to win a Leinster (or TM Cup) with their respective counties. I'd reject that notion when it comes to Kildare and especially Laois while the jury is still out on Wicklow.

There's no doubt the media hype and his presence does lift the boats in the counties he goes to. He can only take teams so far though in the modern game. Luckily for his legend, he can take them as far as the great unwashed deem acceptable so the legend lives on....

tyssam5

I see he was still whinging about Seamus Darby's goal 25 odd years ago, looked at on youtube, didn't see much of a foul myself.

Aghdavoyle

has there ever been a man who's recieved more under the table cash from the gaa than micko?

pintsofguinness

Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

glenullinabu

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on November 05, 2007, 04:27:05 PM
Quote from: Tankie on November 05, 2007, 04:19:04 PM

I think Laois had alot of talented players and Micko just ran the fock out of them, i think if you had of had a more tactically minded manager you could have done more. Look are Dublin 3 in a row with leinster, it really doesnt mean much at this stage as its all about the big prize.

i agree with this post - Derry are a county full of talented minors with a haul of medals but we couldnt translate it until Mr Coleman came along - his detractors said he wasnt that good but what have we done since?  micko did pretty well & at his age you cant blame him for trying to experience working with diff players - i feel he left when he knew he couldnt bring them on any more

Laois had a lot of talented players under Micko i know but looking back on it now i don't think they were as good as we thought and i think he got the best out of what he had.There was so much media attention on Laois at the time because of O'Dwyer and i think a lot of people started believing what was being wrote in the papers about them and maybe jumped on the bandwagon a bit,I think if im been honest we were never close to winning an All Ireland with the players we had and Leinster was about as much as we could have hoped for and he delivered that and maybe Leinsters mean nothing to you but when you come from a county like Laois they mean everything

Kerry Mike

He's a legend in my mind for what he has achieved in Kerry as a player and a manager. Being directly involved in 12 of our 35 All Ireland Wins.

And he has brought success however limited in peoples eyes to his 3 adopted Leinster counties, does anyone honestly think Kildare or Laois or Wicklow would have won anything without him. Of course he has not done it for the love of those counties, in the same way that Kieran McGeeney is not in Kildare for the love of Kildare football, Micko is and will remain a proud Kerry man till the day he dies but he has a deep love of the game of football.

And whatever rewards he has received be it under or above the table so be it, nearly every manager and backroom member involved in inter county football or hurling are pulling something out of it nowadays, For anyone who has ever driven from deepest South Kerry to the midlands or Wicklow will know what a hacking drive it is at the best of times and whatever mileage he gets is deserved, but can you put a price on what it meant for Laois to win a pair of Leinster's or for Kildare to come within a few scores of winning an All Ireland.

Of course his managerial skills may not be as current or up to the level of other managers with their stats and tactics and hairdressers manicurists, dieticians, and 100 other assorted backroom team members, but there are a few things Micko will bring to a group of players, fitness, dedication, discipline but must importantly self belief, and believe me I know, I am lucky enough to have played in a team coached by Micko and he helped us win a County U21 title many moons ago.

He is a rogue and a character and he knows how to play the media for his own good but one of the most decent fellows you could meet away for the game and he lends his name to many fundraising events for charity.

So Micko feck the begrudgers, especially the Jackeens who have always had it in for him since he kicked their fabled Heffo's Army around Croke Park in 75,79,79,84 & 85.

Micko has had a few health scares over the last years and his days of walking the sidelines of Ireland with a rolled up program clenched in his grasp may be limited, we should be proud of people like Micko who have given their all to our great association, there are many more like him in every club in the country whose whole lives revolves around football or hurling, we all know them and admire them and probably say to ourselves "I'd love to do that but I can't find the time", but they are not usually known outside their own areas, but just because Micko has done it at a higher level for such a long period of time should not be a reason to belittle or slag off his achievements and commitment to the GAA.
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

stephenite

Quote from: Aghdavoyle on November 05, 2007, 08:19:29 PM

has there ever been a man who's recieved more under the table cash from the gaa than micko?

Lot's of rumours - but I've never seen anyone admit to paying him the huge amounts he has supposed to have received - benefit of the doubt in my mind

darbyo

QuoteWhat the hell are you talking about? Who said he wasn't a true gaa man? This post has nothing to do with the rest of this thread

The title of this thread is 'Mick O'Dwyer', I made a comment about the man and the general attitude to him by many on this board, so apologies if I gave my opinion on the man rather than comment on his achievements with Laois or his suitability for the Dublin job. In the future I'll PM you my thoughts on a topic before posting them on the board and you can tell me if it they keep to your idea of what should be discussed.

orangeman

Micko said in y'days Indo that he has the tax clearance letter to prove that he received NO under the county money !!

Do you not remember the congress a few years ago ( well quite a few years ago now ) when there was a sub committee set up to look into under the table money being paid to managers ? It reported back that not only could they not find any under the table money - but they couldn't find the tables either !!!!!!!!!