The biggest underachievers - players - Hurling & Football

Started by North Antrim, May 29, 2007, 10:07:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

North Antrim

Oneill

You are so full of shit! Enda Muldoon an underachiever - go and wind ur neck in!! Anybody who wins am All-Star has NOT underachieved - your a twat!!

Hollow Man

So if DJ Carey had only won one All Star and nothing else, he wouldnt be an underachiever?! Get a grip man.

I definitely wouldnt put Coulter in there, highest championship goalscorer in the country (and thats not racking up handy ones against Waterford, Tipp or Clare).

I'd put Dermot McCabe in there. Didn't look after himself when he was younger, hence years of injury when he should have been at his peak (25 to 30). Still a legend, but how good could he have been?

John Tierney is another. Played in the Ulster MFC at 14 (!!!) against Down, but unsurprisingly was dogged by injury after and never made it properly at senior.

Nicholas Walsh another - best 16 year old Ive seen, worst 23 year old!

From other counties, James Ward hasn't done it yet for Monaghan, he was some minor.

Joe Cassidy? Where did he go??

Tony Baloney

I'm sure Aidan McCloskey just got scunnered as I think he was playing for 7 hurling teams when he was 16 ((2 schools teams, 4 club teams (U-16, Minor, U-21 and Senior) and 2 county teams)) and his da was one of those usual GAA parent ball-busters! Add all the training and playing on top of A-Levels etc. and talk about player burn out!

ONeill

Quote from: North Antrim on May 29, 2007, 11:14:58 AM
Oneill

You are so full of shit! Enda Muldoon an underachiever - go and wind ur neck in!! Anybody who wins am All-Star has NOT underachieved - your a twat!!

Muldoon has been MIA too often for my liking.

Quote from: The Real SlimShady on May 29, 2007, 11:12:32 AM
by ONeills reckoning, if you dont have a pocket full of gold you're an underachiever. Great players on poor teams is what you are naming.

Not at all - the likes of Mattie Forde, Kevin McGourty, Paddy Bradley...the list is endless...have achieved in terms of playing to the best of their ability, consistently, yet largely unrewarded. They're achievers in my book.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

BallyhaiseMan

Hollowman

id agree with Dermot McCabe,John Tierney and Nicholas Walsh for Cavan.
id also add in Paddy Brady of Gowna,
Ireland under 17 Rules midfielder,and one of the best underage players ive seen.
Has done nothing at senior level though.
also Martin Donohoe of C'lough was a member of that International Rules and a brilliant defender,yet he disappeared completely off the scene.

Id say we could start a seperate thread alone for Cavan as theres even more names coming to me that could warrant inclusion.

BallyhaiseMan

Oneill

NA,im with ONeil on this one
would disagree with you about anyone whos won an All Star has not unachieved.
Look at Dermot McCabe won all star aged 21 in 1997, has Underachieved the rest of his career.
Muldoon is an underachiever in my books,so much ability and he only ever has shown us glimpses of it.

BallyhaiseMan

heres a name il throw in,

Ciaran Whelan, has always failed to deliver in and disappeared in too many big matches for Dublin.
Definetely an underachiever in my opinion.

thebandit

Ciaran Whelan

Jesus I'm gonna be shot!!

Feck ya Ballyhaise man getting in before me

The Real SlimShady

Quote from: ONeill on May 29, 2007, 11:41:33 AM
Oneill

Muldoon has been MIA too often for my liking.

Quote from: The Real SlimShady on May 29, 2007, 11:12:32 AM
by ONeills reckoning, if you dont have a pocket full of gold you're an underachiever. Great players on poor teams is what you are naming.

Not at all - the likes of Mattie Forde, Kevin McGourty, Paddy Bradley...the list is endless...have achieved in terms of playing to the best of their ability, consistently, yet largely unrewarded. They're achievers in my book.

1 of 2 things is going on here,

1/ Shaney is on the wind up.

2/ He's yet again get stuck up Daddy McGourtys arse (work colleague me thinks)

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: thebandit on May 29, 2007, 11:56:34 AM
Ciaran Whelan

great minds think alike eh bandit?  ;D

full back

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on May 29, 2007, 11:59:14 AM
Ciaran Whelan

Fools seldom differ eh Ballyhaise  ;D

Orior

This thread could easily run out of control.

Perhaps you need some basic definition of what qualifies as an under achiever eg.

- Played minor county
- Played a few games at U21
- Played a few games at senior
- Played football for a county that isnt Antrim, Killkenny, nor London
- Played hurling for a county that is in Munster, south Leinster or is Galway

Otherwise one could argue Orior underachieved, which is clearly not the case.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

5 Sams

If you are talking about county football then Shorty Trainor is a major underachiever.....however he has overachieved when it comes to club football
The Aristocrat Years

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: full back on May 29, 2007, 12:03:34 PM
Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on May 29, 2007, 11:59:14 AM
Ciaran Whelan

Fools seldom differ eh Ballyhaise  ;D

:D You could be correct there fullback

Kerry Mike

Ulster football and Connacht football has underachieved to produce only 15 & 14 senior All Irelands in 119 attempts, these are huge underachievers.

Notable examples are:
Cavan's 5 All-Irelands from 39 Provincail Titles
Galway's 9/42
Mayo's 3/41
Armagh's 1/13
Monaghan's 0/13

And I have to mention my neighbours, Cork's 6 from 34 is laughable, but at least they will blame the hurlers.

Galway Hurlers deserve a mention too.
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football