Mayo v Sligo, CJFC May 20th

Started by AbbeySider, May 18, 2007, 03:04:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AbbeySider

Connelly looks forward
17 May 2007

Former Mayo captain Noel Connelly will line out at full forward at Pearse Stadium on Sunday (May 20th), but the westerners supporters need not worry, senior manager John O'Mahony has not lost the plot.

Connelly, who played at right half back in the 1997 All-Ireland defeat to Kerry, will line out for Mayo juniors against Sligo in the Connacht championship final at Pearse Stadium.

The provincial decider is a curtainraiser to the eagerly awaited senior clash between Galway and Mayo as the venue is expected to be full to capacity.

However, Connelly is focused on winning a provincial junior medal and admits that his new role is a breath of fresh air in the twilight of his career.

"It's a new experience for me. I've been playing there for the club now the last year and a half or so, and I'm playing where I'm put," said Connelly.

"It's a different role. You're playing in front as opposed to man marking, and you're trying to get free and getting loose and timing your runs correctly.

"I've had a long career now and it suits me better than defending all the time. I'm enjoying it."

Does anyone know the team yet? Id say it will be a good curtainraiser...

BTW what time is throw in for this one?

muscles magoo

Quote from: AbbeySider on May 18, 2007, 03:04:02 PM
Connelly looks forward
17 May 2007

Former Mayo captain Noel Connelly will line out at full forward at Pearse Stadium on Sunday (May 20th), but the westerners supporters need not worry, senior manager John O'Mahony has not lost the plot.

Connelly, who played at right half back in the 1997 All-Ireland defeat to Kerry, will line out for Mayo juniors against Sligo in the Connacht championship final at Pearse Stadium.

The provincial decider is a curtainraiser to the eagerly awaited senior clash between Galway and Mayo as the venue is expected to be full to capacity.

However, Connelly is focused on winning a provincial junior medal and admits that his new role is a breath of fresh air in the twilight of his career.

"It's a new experience for me. I've been playing there for the club now the last year and a half or so, and I'm playing where I'm put," said Connelly.

"It's a different role. You're playing in front as opposed to man marking, and you're trying to get free and getting loose and timing your runs correctly.

"I've had a long career now and it suits me better than defending all the time. I'm enjoying it."

Does anyone know the team yet? Id say it will be a good curtainraiser...

BTW what time is throw in for this one?

Throw in is at 2pm. Looking forward to it as well - promises to be a close run thing if recent meetings are anything to go by.

MacDanger

Mayo won  anyway, not sure what score.........