He told you so...

Started by Uladh, May 17, 2007, 04:04:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Uladh

Greenan says "I told you so"
17 May 2007

Outspoken former Ulster Council chairman Michael Greenan has slammed the decision to no longer allow GAA teams to train at Croke Park before big games.

The same rules will not apply for international soccer and rugby teams playing at the venue as such familiarization sessions are a key part of pre-match preparations under UEFA, FIFA and IRB guidelines.
The new rules were introduced in order to reduce the amount of wear and tear the Croke Park surface is subjected to. It has also been announced that Croke Park will no longer host triple-headers for the same reason.

"I can see their point, but the soccer and rugby teams are holding five or six training sessions on it before their matches," said Greenan, who was fiercely opposed to the opening up of Croke Park to other sports.

"Then you had our own teams' limited access to it for 20 minutes. What can you do in 20 minutes but have a few kicks at goal?

"The whole thing is gone pear-shaped but I knew that was on the cards anyway. If we didn't know before, we know now. It is a total joke. I'll say one thing to you: I'm not always right but I'm seldom wrong.

"I saw this all coming. We're seeing the after-effects of the decision to open the stadium up. It pains me to say it, but I told you so."

©2007 Lynn Publications 

thewobbler

If it was explained to Michael Greenan that soccer and rugby aren't being played in Croke Park during the Championship season, and therefore have no effect on the pitch during its peak season, do you think it would help?

downredblack

It's a bit rich though that the International teams can familiarize / have training sessions in Croke Park and County teams will not be afforded the same courtesy .

tayto

Is he whinging about the decision to give all the money made from the international to the county boards as well?

Deal_Me_In

The majority of team that will be playing in croke this summer already have experience of the atmosphere and surroundings. I think that if it is a teams first time to play in Croke since its redevelopment then it is only fair that they get to experience it before their game, however teams such as tyrone, kerry, mayo, armagh, dublin etc who are accustomed to playing here do not need to be on the pitch in the week(s) leading up to their games to familiarise themselves

Billys Boots

QuoteI'm not always right but I'm seldom wrong.

QuoteIt pains me to say it ...

Deliberate mistake?   :P
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

muppet

I'll say one thing to you: I'm not always right but I'm seldom wrong.

"I saw this all coming. We're seeing the after-effects of the decision to open the stadium up. It pains me to say it, but I told you so."

Will his whinging ever end?
MWWSI 2017

ONeill

Uladh, when are you gonna stop cutting and pasting......ahem.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

muppet

QuoteThe better question is, when are you going to get over that he is going to respond to things things?
::)

Ok let's do this then.

The really super dooper better question is when are you going to get over me not getting over that he is never going to stop whinging in the media for eternity about a democratic vote?

MWWSI 2017

Uladh

Quote from: ONeill on May 17, 2007, 06:55:43 PM
Uladh, when are you gonna stop cutting and pasting......ahem.

You wouldn't be paranoid on that particular subject?

ONeill

You're right.

Good to see you're mimicking the master.....
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Louth Exile

I was in favour of letting the foreign games into croker, (f^%k it, take the money, what was it 7.5M, its all being pumped into our games)
But when soccer and rugby teams can train five times on the pitch and they wont let senior intercounty teams out onto it before a championship game, thats just wrong.
I agree that counties like Dublin, Armagh, Tyrone, Kerry, Mayo, Donegal, & Laois hardly need to familiarise themselves to the place, but cavan only recently played in the redeveloped croker for the first time!
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

muppet

Quotebut cavan only recently played in the redeveloped croker for the first time!

And why was that you absolute moron?
MWWSI 2017

Louth Exile

Quote from: muppet on May 18, 2007, 04:08:37 AM
Quotebut cavan only recently played in the redeveloped croker for the first time!

And why was that you absolute moron?

whats your main problem? Muppet is right! Its a simple point that it would be unfair to not let teams who would be unfamiliar with croker to train on it
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

saffron sam2

Magpie seanie about to say "I told you so"

18 May 2007

the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet