Cheeky Dubs to field 3 senior teams next year?

Started by Lecale2, May 17, 2007, 07:19:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lecale2

Hoganstand

Dublin to field three hurling teams

The Dublin county board is considering fielding three senior hurling teams in 2008.

As well as fielding in the Leinster championship, the Metropolitans could also enter teams into the Christy Ring and Nicky Rackard Cups. It's proposed that a team from South Dublin will play in the Christy Ring Cup, with a North Dublin selection competing in the third tier Nicky Rackard Cup.

A few years ago, the GAA's Strategic Review Committee proposed that Dublin should consider fielding two teams in certain competitions and this has already happened at underage level.

Jinxy

A good idea i think. Give as many players as possible the opportunity to play intercounty hurling. It's all very well having a great underage system but you can have a situation where players becoming disinterested/disillusioned because they don't make the senior team within their first couple of years out of minor level. This way they still get to play hurling at a high level and the experience will stand to them if they move up the ladder. Hope the DCB have the balls to run with it.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

tayto

With that many players playing inter-county it should help raise the standard of club hurling in Dublin which is obviously a major steping stone to raising the standard of the senior county team.

full back

Sure why not just play amongst yourselves next year.
Get a new competition going, you could call it the Capital Cup or Jackeen Jug
That way at least you know there would be silverware every year!

Bacon

Personnaly I think this is a good idea. I'd love to see Dublin win an All Ireland hurling title. It would do the game the power of good.
Down Championships Prediction League Winner 2009

Gnevin

Will these teams be subject to regulation and promotion ? Could we have 2 Dublin teams in Ring or Even the McCarthy?
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

tayto

Quote from: full back on May 17, 2007, 10:12:59 AM

Eh yea, i think thats called the county championship.  :P

full back

Quote from: tayto on May 17, 2007, 11:13:18 AM
Quote from: full back on May 17, 2007, 10:12:59 AM

Eh yea, i think thats called the county championship.  :P

With only 3 teams - interesting ???

tayto

Ye, there's only three clubs in dublin, didnt you know?

anyways seems the DCB have poo pooped the idea saying there'll be a north dublin in the rackard and that's all.

Gnevin

Quote from: tayto on May 17, 2007, 11:19:33 AM
Ye, there's only three clubs in dublin, didnt you know?

anyways seems the DCB have poo pooped the idea saying there'll be a north dublin in the rackard and that's all.
Why ? Any links to it?
Its seems mad
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Declan

Dublin board rejects three teams claim
Thursday, 17 May 2007 09:26

The Dublin County Board have rejected reports that they intend to enter three teams into the Hurling Championship next year.

They have confirmed that their senior team will compete for the Liam McCarthy Cup, with a North Dublin selection taking part in the Nicky Rackard Cup.

They have dismissed suggestions that another team would play in the Christy Ring Cup.

Dublin County Board secretary John Costello released a statement on the issue yesterday.

It read: 'Reports that Dublin will enter three teams in the All-Ireland hurling championships in 2008 are incorrect. Congress 2007 decided that Dublin that Dublin will enter the Liam MacCarthy competition and a representative team from North Dublin will participate in the Nicky Rackard Cup.

'Our county committee will be seeking an assurance that this is not a surreptitious attempt by the Hurling Development Committee to pressurise Dublin to enter a team in the Christy Ring Cup also.'

'Dublin have consistently argued that the proposed format for Division One of the National Hurling League for 2008 does nothing for the second-tier hurling counties and its revised format was designed for the elite counties only. Perhaps Dublin should apologise for surviving in Division One of the Hurling League.'

The GAA confirmed yesterday that a second team from Down would also compete in the Nicky Rackard Cup.

tayto

Quote from: Declan on May 17, 2007, 11:46:43 AM
Perhaps Dublin should apologise for surviving in Division One of the Hurling League.'

::) ::) ::)

feck sake john, less of the whinging.

Gnevin

I cant really see what harm having a 3rd team would do/

tayto

i thought it was passed that dublin south would be in the league next year. makes little or no sense to have only a fingal team. oh well. 

dublinfella

probably stupid question but is the Fingal panel going to include guys in the full Dublin setup?

do northsiders in the DCC area get to play for them?

Im opposed to this. Its franchise hurling and the start of a slippery slope. Fingal isnt a county no matter how much they say it is.