Grimley tongue-lashing for Brolly and Co.

Started by cavanmaniac, May 15, 2007, 11:25:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Bottom Brick

QuoteI fear Brolly has a limited lifepan.  you can only shite through your mouth so long.  Makes a change form running down his leg.

Ha ha v good
33, 35, 47, 48, 52, 07!

TheHeckler

Quote from: Gnevin on May 15, 2007, 02:29:27 PM
Which of the two where saying longford needed more farmers on the team?

taken from RTE site ("Who said what"):

'I was just looking through the occupations of the teams and it's all students, students, students, a building contractor, IT consultant, this type of thing. The one noticeable thing is there isn't a farmer in either team. Who does the bullocks in the country anymore? The poor auld farmers. Every good team needs a couple of farmers.' The Sunday Game's Colm O'Rourke offers one reason why Dublin won't be challenging for honours this year.

AN other

Quote from: TheHeckler on May 16, 2007, 04:39:11 PM

taken from RTE site ("Who said what"):

'I was just looking through the occupations of the teams and it's all students, students, students, a building contractor, IT consultant, this type of thing. The one noticeable thing is there isn't a farmer in either team. Who does the bullocks in the country anymore? The poor auld farmers. Every good team needs a couple of farmers.' The Sunday Game's Colm O'Rourke offers one reason why Dublin won't be challenging for honours this year.

Seeing something like that printed in the press is exactly what O'Rourke and Brolly love to see. They crave the attention. O'Rourke is the exact same in his piece in the Sunday Independent whenever I read it, always trying to bring a bit of smugness into it and quoting it in big bold writing in the middle of the piece. Pathetic the both of them! If either of them were half as professional as the amateur players they persistently mock, they might just have the capability of carrying out some enjoyable analysis.
There have been comparisons to Dunphy on this thread. The difference between Dunphy and these pretenders is that Dunphy is actually amusing at times. O'Rourke and Brolly are just spas...

INDIANA

i always thought dooher was a  decent player anyway - there was plenty of average players on o rourke's team  far inferior to dooher- but in o rourke's eyes they'd be great players anyway.
I thought o cinneide's/mc stay's/tohill's comments on sunday about longford and westmeath were scandalous. They said it wasn't "a real game of football" because it hadn't 12 men behind the ball. i actually enjoyed that game - good pace -plenty of scores etc and the teams actually kicked the ball- jus it wasn't between 2 superpowers they did their best to belittle it- it was a hell of better than the wars of attrition we have to endure in clones every year.

Tyrone Dreamer

Watching the FA cup final today brought it home to me the damage GAA journalists are doing to our games. That match today was absolutely terrible and involved the 2 best teams in the country. If the same had happened in an All Ireland final you'd here bout it from Spillane and co for years, with each journalist trying to out do each other on how gaelic footabll is finished bla bla bla. Negative tactics ruining the game etc. Althouigh Im sure it will be in the papers that the fa cup final was a poor match you'll not get the same sensationalist headlines that soccer is finished and the game will quickly be forgotten about. For some reason are journalists seem to use there influence to continually tell us football is finished. You here far more about Kerry and Tyrone in 2003 and diving than you do about the terrific Tyrone games in 2005. At a time when the GAA are competing with others sports our journalists should be using their influence to hype up the game a bit. I couldnt believe today McHugh criticising the Cavan game last week and how it shows that gaelic has become to clean and not physical enough - what planet is he on and this is totally hypocritical! Although the championship has quite a few poor games, overall it will provide much more entertainment than the over hyped prima donna's in the premiership.

hobart

Is this not a gaelic site? Stop comparing our game to soccer and all the wrongs that are in built there. If you pay £100 on a sunday to take the family and go and watch your county you have every right to critise what you have just watched. Spillane may be hard to listen to but he is right in saying that the exection of the basic skills in the modern game is woeful. Its Ok the rte lads having a go as they played the game and understand what its about. If its another poor championship the gaa need to sit down and look at the rules - 13 a side is the only way to open up the game again and make it the spectacle it once was (eg) when Brolly starred in 93. My prediction is for a poor season giving the pundits loads of opportunities to slate the game.

darbyo

If you pay a £100 to go to the game you can bitch all you like in the pub afterwards, in fact you can say what you like whether you went to the match or not but when you get paid much more than £100 a night to analyse the game then they should be able to come up with more than moaning. Hobart have you ever watched All-ireland Gold?, these same 'experts' were involved in plenty of poor games, most of which were played at a slower pace. There have been many great games since 1993 and I think we will see a good few again this year. I agree a few things could be done to help keep a greater flow to the games but making it 13 a-side is too drastic. Roll on the summer I say.

thejuice

This all reminds me of the adds for Spillanes articles in the Sunday World............Love Him, Hate Him, Read Him!!
These boys just want to raise thier own profile. they all tak shite except (and I dont think im being biased here) Antony Tohill and Bernard Flynn are pretty good. Cyril Farrell is pretty good on the hurling although he's hard to keep up with. Talks a million words a minute
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Tyrone Dreamer

Hobart Ive no problem when the experts come out and say a match was bad if it was bad. My problem is that a lot of GAA journalists only seem to concentrate on the bad games and seem to be constantly saying football is finished etc. McHugh today complained that football is finished because its not physical enough yet only last year he was saying it was finished becasue it was to negative and physical. What I would like to see is a bit more balanced coverage. Last week I thought for the 1st match of the championship and considering that neither were 2 of the top teams that the Longford match provided excellent entertainment. Yet afterwards Spillane spent half the analysis talking about there being two much handpassing in the game. The reason I was comparing it to soccer was only in terms of journalism. These guys are geting a free run. Ive noticed on RTE teletext various times after a GAA championship being described as dour etc in the main headlines. Yet after that crap today the headline simply read Drogba scores winner for Chelsea. At a time when competition from other sports is high it would be a welcome change if our journalists who make a bit of money from the game could provide a bit of positive coverage. All this focus on handpassing by Spillane and lack of skills compared to the past is nonsense. Go and watch the 2005 all ireland final between Tyrone and Kerry and you'll see points of the highest quality from the boot from both teams throughout the match. Then go and watch a match from the 70's/80's and come back and try and argue they could kick the ball better. You get focus now on nearly every team in the championship yet the focus on the 70's and 80's is only on a handful of teams. Them handful of teams couldnt kick the ball particularly well so you could imagine what the teams were like who arent featured. Its an absolute myth that players in the 70's/80's could kill the balll better than the players now. Also four of the best gaelic football matches ever have been played in the last 3 years so the talk about the game being finished is well of the mark. The games Im referring to are Dublin Mayo, Tyrone Kerry, Tyrone Armagh and Tyrone Dublin. Lets hope for a few more this summer.

orangeman

Grimley was and is a tough man and when he puts the time and effort into a team, I feel he is entitled to an opinion - if people criticise his team, then he is entitled to be critical back - I do like Brolly - I think he reads the game well and is very knowledgeble - However I do take issue when individual players are singled out- remember Brian Dooher - 2003 - Francie Bellew and the Armagh full back line ??? The Sunday game is an entertainment show - the entertainment is not confined to the football / hurling -the analysts are also very entertaining - so that's TV - We'll have to get used to it.