Provincial Championship Draws 2018 tonight

Started by Shamrock Shore, October 19, 2017, 12:52:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shamrock Shore

If winter comes can spring be far behind?

Draw tonight live on RTE2 at 8.30 pm.

Longford hoping to draw anyone but Dublin, Meath, Kildare, Carlow, Louth, Wexford, Westmeath, Wicklow, Offaly tonight!

;)

tonto1888

WT4E

Please not Derry again - we're sick of hammering them.

Monaghan in the preliminary round is what i would like - as I won't be attending next year I don't mind the extra matches as it doesn't add any expense on for me!

ck

Looking forward to the draw but the Leinster championship is now laughable with Dublin V the rest

AZOffaly

Quote from: ck on October 19, 2017, 03:22:49 PM
Looking forward to the draw but the Leinster championship is now laughable with Dublin V the rest

Actually that would be a good game.

Itchy

Cavan will be an excellent draw for everyone, even Antrim.

rodney trotter

They should make the draw mid way through the League. Teams become obsessed with who they are playing 7/8 months before they play them in the Championship.

AZOffaly

Quote from: rodney trotter on October 19, 2017, 03:43:12 PM
They should make the draw mid way through the League. Teams become obsessed with who they are playing 7/8 months before they play them in the Championship.

Or base it on where you finish in the league. It's not as if they have to make mad travel arrangements.

magpie seanie

Quote from: rodney trotter on October 19, 2017, 03:43:12 PM

Ara if you did that you couldn't have an Bainisteoir trotting out the "we've had this one marked on the calendar for 8 months...." stuff!!!

magpie seanie

I think I'm right in saying we have a revenge mission to Ruislip up first and Laythrum are heading for the Big Apple.

longballin

Anything for the GAA to get the focus back on the county teams and away from the clubs... time enough doing this in February... most borefest the football anyway

Redhand Santa

Quote from: longballin on October 19, 2017, 03:54:57 PM
Anything for the GAA to get the focus back on the county teams and away from the clubs... time enough doing this in February... most borefest the football anyway

I'd have thought it was more to do with getting a master fixtures schedule in place for the following year allowing the counties to know when they will play and in theory plan club fixtures etc around it. I'm sure the gaa would get more exposure out of the draw if it was closer to championship time but it just isn't appropriate. I don't see tonight's draw having a huge impact on the focus on club games.

Esmarelda

Quote from: Redhand Santa on October 19, 2017, 04:00:45 PM

I'd have thought it was more to do with getting a master fixtures schedule in place for the following year allowing the counties to know when they will play and in theory plan club fixtures etc around it. I'm sure the gaa would get more exposure out of the draw if it was closer to championship time but it just isn't appropriate. I don't see tonight's draw having a huge impact on the focus on club games.
Of course it. longballin, do you actually believe what you've just typed or are you just being mischievous?

longballin

Quote from: Esmarelda on October 19, 2017, 04:03:30 PM

Of course it. longballin, do you actually believe what you've just typed or are you just being mischievous?

I believe GAA has little regard for club games and view them as a necessary nuisance even to point of putting on Aussie Rules game right in middle of club championship rather than February or preferably never...

Redhand Santa

Quote from: longballin on October 19, 2017, 04:29:55 PM
Quote from: Esmarelda on October 19, 2017, 04:03:30 PM

I believe GAA has little regard for club games and view them as a necessary nuisance even to point of putting on Aussie Rules game right in middle of club championship rather than February or preferably never...

The vast majority of players club seasons will be finished up by November and those still playing will be happy to miss the international rules. So maybe with the odd exception (seems unlikely this year) the players playing won't miss any club games as the season is over.  The games will be on tv early in the mornings so won't clash with club games. How do you see them impacting the club games? Personally I wouldn't begrudge any player going on the trip to represent their country providing they aren't missing important club games.