Ciaran McKeever

Started by Owen Brannigan, August 15, 2017, 09:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Armamike

Quote from: OakleafCounty on August 18, 2017, 09:47:08 AM
This should be a thread for the Armagh Local GAA Discussion page as it's insignificant on an All-Ireland level.

A very poor role model for young football players who will really only be remembered outside (and maybe inside) Armagh for the 'hard man' image he tried to build for himself.

Remember him dragging Peter Canavan on the grass by the shirt in Croke Park or one winter he learned a bit of Ju Jitsu and decided to practice it before a ball was thrown in the championship. And who can forget when he cried about 'racism' he suffered against Laois despite him being known for sledging shite himself, one incident against Martin Clarke was particularly unsavoury.

Good riddance!

There should also be a thread for any personal gripes in life and pure begrudgery so we can all get it off our chests and feel a bit better about things.
That's just, like your opinion man.

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: Armamike on August 18, 2017, 10:25:04 AM
This should be a thread for the Armagh Local GAA Discussion page as it's insignificant on an All-Ireland level.

A very poor role model for young football players who will really only be remembered outside (and maybe inside) Armagh for the 'hard man' image he tried to build for himself.

Remember him dragging Peter Canavan on the grass by the shirt in Croke Park or one winter he learned a bit of Ju Jitsu and decided to practice it before a ball was thrown in the championship. And who can forget when he cried about 'racism' he suffered against Laois despite him being known for sledging shite himself, one incident against Martin Clarke was particularly unsavoury.

Good riddance!

There should also be a thread for any personal gripes in life and pure begrudgery so we can all get it off our chests and feel a bit better about things.

This. The good thing about the more long winded whines is that most will have already turned off and not picked up on the inaccuracies therein.

Throw ball

Good riddance!

You may be right that it should be on Armagh thread.

I am amazed though how people go to a thread to complain about it. You don't have to read it.

As it is you are wrong on many accounts. Firstly if you are stating that you are happy for people to suffer sectarian abuse you are on the wrong place. Secondly despite the image you protray of him McKeever is great with children at open days , training camps etc. It is this kids remember rather than things you perceive to happen on a football pitch.

Ciaran McKeever is no different to many footballers in many teams. On occasions he went over the line but more often than not it was his determination and will to win that defined him.

Brick Tamlin

Quote from: Throw ball on August 18, 2017, 10:32:03 AM

Good riddance!

I am amazed though how people go to a thread to complain about it. You don't have to read it.

As it is you are wrong on many accounts. Firstly if you are stating that you are happy for people to suffer sectarian abuse you are on the wrong place. Secondly despite the image you protray of him McKeever is great with children at open days , training camps etc. It is this kids remember rather than things you perceive to happen on a football pitch.

Ciaran McKeever is no different to many footballers in many teams. On occasions he went over the line but more often than not it was his determination and will to win that defined him.

This is exactly my point.  I just don't think we need a thread on the main section for every decent county footballer that quit playing for their county after a lengthly service. 
This thread should definitely be moved to the local section of the board.

Syferus

Quote from: Brick Tamlin on August 18, 2017, 10:50:53 AM
Quote from: Throw ball on August 18, 2017, 10:32:03 AM

Good riddance!

This is exactly my point.  I just don't think we need a thread on the main section for every decent county footballer that quit playing for their county after a lengthly service. 
This thread should definitely be moved to the local section of the board.

What nonsense.

Brick Tamlin

AZOffaly

I don't see anything wrong with a bit of a thread for a lad who has given huge service to Armagh. He's also been a bit of a cult hero there, and surely it's no skin off your nose if his retirement is remarked upon?

Armamike

Peoples' views on certain players can be clouded by their own baggage and past grievances.  If you've a problem with a thread on a county footballer retiring, then a) don't read it and b) if you can't say anything decent about someone, say nothing.  In this case nobody's saying Ciaran's a legend of the game, but to belittle his relevance outside Armagh is petty and overlooks his achievements on a wider stage (provincial titles, a national league, international rules). 
That's just, like your opinion man.

OakleafCounty

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 18, 2017, 12:12:00 PM
I don't see anything wrong with a bit of a thread for a lad who has given huge service to Armagh. He's also been a bit of a cult hero there, and surely it's no skin off your nose if his retirement is remarked upon?

Recent threads like this have been for players like Thomás O'Sé and Colm Cooper. No skin off my nose at all but if it's a player who was controversial like him and also average at All-Ireland level then a bit of criticism should also be expected.

He might well be a decent fella off the pitch and good with kids locally but for a young defender watching on TV I think the way he conducted himself was a poor role model.   

AZOffaly

I think the point was there shouldn't be a thread at all. I don't agree with that. I think it's worthwhile to mark the retirement of someone who's been around so long. I never said there shouldn't be any valid criticism of him.

nrico2006

Well said Oak Leaf County
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

LCohen

Quote from: tonto1888 on August 16, 2017, 08:47:48 PM
Quote from: LCohen on August 16, 2017, 05:18:48 PM
A better player than the rest of the country ever gave him credit for. Great pace over the short distance, attacked every breaking ball like his life depended on it and had the football skills good passer and point taker.

Got involved in too much of the side show on and off the field for my liking. Probably not as good a player as the current eulogies make out. Strong and long lasting intercounty player but not quite all star material. Even on a good day.

Time for someone to step up and take his role

What off the field stuff did he ever get involved in

Some of his media interventions wouldn't highlight him as one of the great thinkers of the game. That's being kind.

Solo_run

If McKeever is reading this he is probably laughing at Oak Leaf. There is no need to defend Ciaran he was liked by his own and that is all that ever mattered.

He is a true Gael... Stuck with Armagh through the good times,  the bad times and the awful times.  He didn't give up unlike some.

LCohen

Quote from: Armamike on August 18, 2017, 01:11:07 PM
if you can't say anything decent about someone, say nothing.

Utter rubbish.

Plenty on here are blind to mckeever's playing qualities. Often due to their own baggage and loyalties. Plenty are blind to his failings for the same reason. But there is always room for genuine opinion. Otherwise it is not a discussion forum

Brick Tamlin

I merely suggested moving it to the local thread. Id also advocate the same for any half decent footballer retiring.
Don't think it merits a place on the main section. We could end up it being full of threads for average county footballers retiring.