Old outfield players still plugging away?

Started by Kuwabatake Sanjuro, June 22, 2017, 11:40:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

Quote from: 5 Sams on July 02, 2017, 03:37:19 PM
Mickey Linden scored 3 points for Mayobridge in the Down Reserve Football Championship today. He'll be 54 next month.

Amazing man.

stevecw

Quote from: shark on June 23, 2017, 08:04:44 PM
For Westmeath Denis Glennon (33) is the oldest with the footballers and had only missed 1 year since 2003. With the hurlers Brendan Murtagh is still going at 35. I reckon he probably made his senior debut as a minor, which would have been 2000. Can't be sure though.

It's funny though, I've noticed most of the senior club teams in the county have got older in the past few years. Which goes against the trend at county. May be an outlier though.

Brendan packed it all in today at 35 I think. Amazing player, as is always said about players like him, he would have started on any half forward line over last 15 years. He broke my heart many times scoring last minute frees and goals to draw/win games v Carlow.
Not enough people got to see him play, if he had been born a few miles either direction he'd have been an all star for sure.
Its always the same for Carlow, Westmeath etc...but what a player and hopefully Westmeath hurling will have the brains to keep that guy involved.

nrico2006

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on July 02, 2017, 08:08:28 PM
Quote from: Gold on June 24, 2017, 07:48:23 PM
Quote from: Syferus on June 24, 2017, 12:47:29 AM
Quote from: PMG1 on June 24, 2017, 12:21:06 AM
Ricey is still flying for his club, will be forty this year

He didn't have much ability to lose in the first place.

I take it youre joking?!

Still playing mid 30s ff line senior club. Keeping the beef off as you get older is the hardest part. Lucky not to suffer niggly hamstring injuries etc that retired most ppl my age. Long time retired so keep it going as long as you can

Feet get better with age. Pace doesnt!

He's just jealous. He hasn't got over a Roscommon player trying to act the tough guy in an u21 game a few years ago and being humbled in the exchange.

Brilliant.  I forgot about that actually, embarassing behaviour that day from more than a few of the Roscommon players.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

ApresMatch

Quote from: thewobbler on June 23, 2017, 11:09:00 PM
Ryan McCloskey must be 35/36 at this stage. He's been around since I was young. Which was long ago.

Was chatting to Ronan Murtagh last week in Ballyholland and it would seem that of the Down All Ireland minor team of 99, he's the only one still playing club football still, though Benny the legend has the occasional stab at it between injuries.

A young man's game.

Wobbler, Liam Doyle still playing well for Liatroim, as is John Clarke for his new club St Johns! I'm not sure if there's any others still playing.

AZOffaly

Quote from: stevecw on July 04, 2017, 12:06:48 AM
Quote from: shark on June 23, 2017, 08:04:44 PM
For Westmeath Denis Glennon (33) is the oldest with the footballers and had only missed 1 year since 2003. With the hurlers Brendan Murtagh is still going at 35. I reckon he probably made his senior debut as a minor, which would have been 2000. Can't be sure though.

It's funny though, I've noticed most of the senior club teams in the county have got older in the past few years. Which goes against the trend at county. May be an outlier though.

Brendan packed it all in today at 35 I think. Amazing player, as is always said about players like him, he would have started on any half forward line over last 15 years. He broke my heart many times scoring last minute frees and goals to draw/win games v Carlow.
Not enough people got to see him play, if he had been born a few miles either direction he'd have been an all star for sure.
Its always the same for Carlow, Westmeath etc...but what a player and hopefully Westmeath hurling will have the brains to keep that guy involved.

I was glad to see him come on in Thurles the other day. He deserved to sign off in a game v the All Ireland Champions, in Thurles, and with Westmeath doing themselves good justice. A great player for them. 

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote from: 5 Sams on July 02, 2017, 03:37:19 PM
Mickey Linden scored 3 points for Mayobridge in the Down Reserve Football Championship today. He'll be 54 next month.

Mickey togged out last weekend again

https://twitter.com/mungo4/status/1031230815341039622

lfdown2

Quote from: ApresMatch on July 04, 2017, 12:16:36 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on June 23, 2017, 11:09:00 PM
Ryan McCloskey must be 35/36 at this stage. He's been around since I was young. Which was long ago.

Was chatting to Ronan Murtagh last week in Ballyholland and it would seem that of the Down All Ireland minor team of 99, he's the only one still playing club football still, though Benny the legend has the occasional stab at it between injuries.

A young man's game.

Wobbler, Liam Doyle still playing well for Liatroim, as is John Clarke for his new club St Johns! I'm not sure if there's any others still playing.

A year on and both were on opposing sides last night in the championship.

Orchard park

Its the longer recovery after matches I found the main issue . Yoga , pilates, pool sessions and a much longer stretching programme all very important in injury limitation for the over 35...

And I was only the U8 manager

AZOffaly

Quote from: Orchard park on August 29, 2018, 11:59:42 PM
Its the longer recovery after matches I found the main issue . Yoga , pilates, pool sessions and a much longer stretching programme all very important in injury limitation for the over 35...

And I was only the U8 manager

;D

Feckitt

http://hoganstand.com/Article/Index/290364

55-year-old Linden kicks 'outrageous point' in Down final

Lads this man was playing Inter County Football in 1981 !! 

He's still out kicking 50 yard points in the Down Reserve Final.  Unbelievable.

Jinxy

There's not many his age who could even kick a ball 50 yards, let alone accurately.
Plus, they'd need a child to run after it for them.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

mrdeeds

There's a lad called Barry McGaharn playing for Cootehill Celtic in Cavan at full back. I think he is 43 but maybe more. Cootehill are a divison 1 senior championship team.

Maiden1

Colm McAlarney was man of the match in the 1968 All Ireland final.  He was still playing for Castlewellan I think when they lost the down county final in 1991.  Mickey Linden must have been 41 or 42 when he had unfortunate collusion in the Ulster final with Francie Bellew in 2004.

There are no proofs, only opinions.

timmyot501

Dermot McArdle still lines out for Castleblayney Faughs senior side.  42 I think and playing rather well I hear.  Think he first played for Monaghan around 1996