Previous topic - Next topic

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: weareros on June 21, 2017, 08:17:51 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on June 21, 2017, 07:35:11 PM
Quote from: Syferus on June 21, 2017, 03:56:39 PM
Quote from: omagh_gael on June 21, 2017, 03:47:03 PM
Quote from: Syferus on June 21, 2017, 01:38:12 PM
Quote from: Manning18 on June 21, 2017, 11:49:40 AM
You'd have to expect a severe backlash from the Rossies, last years replay was their biggest embarrassment since the Gay Referendum.

On a different note, complete joke that the provincial losers get to join the qualifiers at R4. They should join at R3 and have the R3 winners facing off in R4

System is stacked enough as it is against provincial final losers. That would be a mental change tbh.

It's a total disgrace that Roscommon could beat Leitrim and get beat by Galway and still are one match away from a QF. Monaghan have to beat Fermanagh, Cavan, Down, lose against Tyrone then win a R4 game to reach the same spot. The Rossies have 'er handy.

Ulster is shite lad. Ye beat the Donegal U21 team and suddenly eejits think ye'll not only give Dublin a game but beat them.

I believe Roscommon have been tossed out by Ulster sides in 4 of the past 5 Championships.

True. But in the last 4 or 5 years, outside province, Roscommon have only been able to knock out Ulster sides - Cavan a few times, and Armagh.

I believe it's also 16 or 17 years since Roscommon beat either Mayo or Galway in Championship football.

Beat both in 2001, previous to that in 90 and 91. High time we altered that. I believe the current group of players, right now a very young team,  have enough talent to change that.

What is interesting about the batch of Roscommon underage teams that had moderate to decent success over the past 7/8 years is how many of them have turned out to be crocks?

Were they just thrown into senior too early and flogged? They've been hyped up quite a bit over the last few years and I think there has been a very soft core in them, I think they believe a lot of the hype and when things tend to go bad for them, they fold rather than dig in and turn it around. The Clare game being a prime example.

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: Cunny Funt on June 21, 2017, 03:46:56 PM
Last two Galway v Roscommon Connacht finals went to replays. The replay date for this final is Sat 15th July and if that happens the loser of a replay will only have 6 days to recover before playing their round 4 tie and if they manage to win (stats against them) they will have to face a well rested Kerry in the last eight. Anyone else find this scheduling to be total nonsense?

What do you suggest instead Cunny?

weareros

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on June 21, 2017, 08:27:41 PM
What is interesting about the batch of Roscommon underage teams that had moderate to decent success over the past 7/8 years is how many of them have turned out to be crocks

Were they just thrown into senior too early and flogged?

Yes. The lads on that minor winning team of 2006 were brought into senior football very quickly. You had players like David O'Gara, David Keenan and Conor Devanney (only 1 of 2 survivors) playing senior under John Maughan in the league of 2008, shipping big hammerings in the latter half of that league. They were also brought into very dodgy senior setups. Maughan had got rid of a lot of the established players. There hadn't been any great stability until Fergal O'Donnell and later Evans came in and in fairness, a lot of those players were responsible for bringing Roscommon from Div 4 to Div 1 within 5 years.

[/quote]

They've been hyped up quite a bit over the last few years and I think there has been a very soft core in them, I think they believe a lot of the hype and when things tend to go bad for them, they fold rather than dig in and turn it around. The Clare game being a prime example.

Many have been plagued with injuries. I think this Connacht final is the first time you'll see some of them fully fit since their underage days. I have a feeling that RTE and some of the papers may even get their names right after the match. Maybe the odd poster has hyped them up but in general, I don't see any of that. There was talk about the performances in the league last year but everyone knew by time time Mayo pushed us around in the lakes of Hyde Park, and Kerry hammered us in the league semi-final that those performances were only because we had started training earlier. Reality has now set in and we'll go into the final as underdogs. Galway and Tyrone now are the teams being talked up as the potential to dislodge the top 3: Dublin/Mayo/Kerry. And in fairness, both have served up the two best performances of the championship so far.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on June 21, 2017, 08:50:46 PM
Last two Galway v Roscommon Connacht finals went to replays. The replay date for this final is Sat 15th July and if that happens the loser of a replay will only have 6 days to recover before playing their round 4 tie and if they manage to win (stats against them) they will have to face a well rested Kerry in the last eight. Anyone else find this scheduling to be total nonsense?

One thing i would suggest is that Connacht final loser has at least two weeks to prepare for their qualifier game even if the final goes to a replay. 

Syferus

Quote from: Cunny Funt on June 21, 2017, 08:59:39 PM

One thing i would suggest is that Connacht final loser has at least two weeks to prepare for their qualifier game even if the final goes to a replay.

Don't worry Cunny, we'll get rid of Galway in 70 this year so they have a fair shot at R4.

Rossfan

The Bomber's unhealthy obsession with Ros has returned.
Go back to your doctor and get some tablets quick.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Syferus

Quote from: Rossfan on June 21, 2017, 09:15:52 PM

Who??

Il Bomber Destro

Unhealthy?

Obsession?

I'm just reporting facts, guy. If they rile you perhaps you should seek the tablets, maybe mind-altering ones.

IolarCoisCuain

But how, Cunny? There are only so many weekends in the summer. If teams don't win games fixtures will backlog. It's as inevitable as day following night.

In the Qualifiers earlier iterations I think the fixture-makers were blind-sided by the difference loss of recovery-time made, but right now it seems to me the gaps are as good as can be hoped for, not least with the introduction of A- and B- streams in the qualifiers. It's to allow for as long a gap as is feasible that they were introduced. But if teams are drawing and not winning games, there will be consequences. There are only so many weekends in the summer, as I say.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on June 21, 2017, 09:26:38 PM

But how, Cunny? There are only so many weekends in the summer. If teams don't win games fixtures will backlog. It's as inevitable as day following night.

In the Qualifiers earlier iterations I think the fixture-makers were blind-sided by the difference loss of recovery-time made, but right now it seems to me the gaps are as good as can be hoped for, not least with the introduction of A- and B- streams in the qualifiers. It's to allow for as long a gap as is feasible that they were introduced. But if teams are drawing and not winning games, there will be consequences. There are only so many weekends in the summer, as I say.

How? well better scheduling of fixtures for example play the Connacht final on July 2nd instead of July 9th. Galway played in a league final and still had to wait for 8 weeks i think to play their first championship game while Roscommon had a 11 week wait. Only so many weekends in the summer you say yet the two finalist had many weekends waiting around.

Avondhu star

Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on June 21, 2017, 09:26:38 PM

Get used to it because when the Super 8 kicks there will be a big rush to get rid of the no hopers
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

Rossfan

We'll be in the Super 8s in accordance with our (amended) 3 year plan. ;)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Syferus

Quote from: Rossfan on June 22, 2017, 12:21:04 AM
We'll be in the Super 8s in accordance with our (amended) 3 year plan. ;)

We've been in the Super 8 the last two seasons.

Lar Naparka

Ah, for small mercies let us be truly grateful, O Lord. Amen.
At least the busturd has found another crowd to annoy and is giving Mayo a bit of a break.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on June 21, 2017, 08:27:41 PM
Quote from: weareros on June 21, 2017, 08:17:51 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on June 21, 2017, 07:35:11 PM
Quote from: Syferus on June 21, 2017, 03:56:39 PM
Quote from: omagh_gael on June 21, 2017, 03:47:03 PM
Quote from: Syferus on June 21, 2017, 01:38:12 PM
Quote from: Manning18 on June 21, 2017, 11:49:40 AM
You'd have to expect a severe backlash from the Rossies, last years replay was their biggest embarrassment since the Gay Referendum.

On a different note, complete joke that the provincial losers get to join the qualifiers at R4. They should join at R3 and have the R3 winners facing off in R4

System is stacked enough as it is against provincial final losers. That would be a mental change tbh.

It's a total disgrace that Roscommon could beat Leitrim and get beat by Galway and still are one match away from a QF. Monaghan have to beat Fermanagh, Cavan, Down, lose against Tyrone then win a R4 game to reach the same spot. The Rossies have 'er handy.

Ulster is shite lad. Ye beat the Donegal U21 team and suddenly eejits think ye'll not only give Dublin a game but beat them.

I believe Roscommon have been tossed out by Ulster sides in 4 of the past 5 Championships.

True. But in the last 4 or 5 years, outside province, Roscommon have only been able to knock out Ulster sides - Cavan a few times, and Armagh.

I believe it's also 16 or 17 years since Roscommon beat either Mayo or Galway in Championship football.

Beat both in 2001, previous to that in 90 and 91. High time we altered that. I believe the current group of players, right now a very young team,  have enough talent to change that.

What is interesting about the batch of Roscommon underage teams that had moderate to decent success over the past 7/8 years is how many of them have turned out to be crocks?

Were they just thrown into senior too early and flogged? They've been hyped up quite a bit over the last few years and I think there has been a very soft core in them, I think they believe a lot of the hype and when things tend to go bad for them, they fold rather than dig in and turn it around. The Clare game being a prime example.
give us a few examples?

its the third level colleges who seem to be doing all the flogging. And not a word about it in the GAA when burnout is mentioned