Meath vs Kildare 1st July 12 Croke Park

Started by squire_in_navy_slacks, June 17, 2012, 07:35:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Muck Savage on June 20, 2012, 07:11:11 AM
Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on June 18, 2012, 03:03:34 PM
Heard this morning that Rob Kelly's injury is not serious and he'll be back training this week.

Very nasty carry on by Kelly at the weekend chewing on Ross Brady chest, there is no place in the game for that type of carry on. Hope this isn't the type of tactics that is creeping into the game. Croke Park need to stop this early on but there doesn't seem to be any mention of it anywhere.

That's the kind of hungry we want to see in Kildare..
#newbridgeornowhere

Dinny Breen

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 20, 2012, 10:50:08 AM
Quote from: mup on June 20, 2012, 07:43:37 AM
Have you got a source for this allegation?

Ross Brady. But sure look, no one saw it, and I doubt anything will be made of it. One mans word against another, and how do we know it wasn't an accident in the middle of a scuffle. Only the two boys themselves know.

Saw this allegation from Shane Lowry of all people on twitter.
#newbridgeornowhere

Donnellys Hollow

I presume the alleged incident occured when Brady wrestled Kelly to the ground in front of the terrace early on in the match? If it was a deliberate act then Rob should be investigated and face a long ban because it would be a vile and reprehensible thing to do to an opponent. However, as AZ points out it could have been accidental as Rob tried to free himself. I will trot out the overused Irish rugby journalists' favourite line here and say that Rob would not be that kind of player and any violent incident would be totally out of character. I can't recall him ever getting sent off for either club or county during his career.

Surely there is footage of the two of them wrestling on the ground because it would have occured directly in line with the camera gantry and why are we only hearing about this now on twitter? Why wasn't it flagged directly after the game by Offaly?
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

AZOffaly

I know Ross Brady was pretty agitated after the incident, but I presume Offaly decided not to go yapping about it. Obviously Ross said it to Shane Lowry, who is a friend of his.

Donnellys Hollow

Surely this alleged incident is of such seriousness that the referee could have been alerted at half time or even after the game? If Brady was marked then this could have been shown to the referee who could then have included it in his report and asked the relevant authorities to investigate the matter further? Maybe this was done?

Trial by internet does nobody any favours. I know that if anyone carried out such an act on me (god forbid) then I'd want them investigated and facing sanction.

AZOffaly

I think he did show the marks to the ref. Anyway, as you say, all hearsay and there's nothing official about it yet,  so we probably shouldn't speculate too much.

Fear ón Srath Bán

And there was I thinking it was the Kildare women that were the man eaters!
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Bord na Mona man

Immediately after the incident a fairly animated Ross Brady showed the ref some marks that were on his chest under his jersey.
On seeing them, the referee called back Kelly who had jogged away and yellow carded him.
At the time I thought they were just nail scratch marks. A Kildare fan on the terrace piped up about Kelly needing to lose the fake finger nails.

In GAA terms the issue would be considered to have been dealt with by the ref, so I doubt it'll be revisited.
Even if it was what it appeared to be (innocent until proven guilty obviously), I'm not so sure Offaly have much energy to go chasing up on it.

Personally, I don't see much point. There is a Qualfier for Offaly in 10 days time and they'll again be struggling to get organised for it. There is no use sending days on a crusade that won't actually benefit anyone apart from the top 6 or 7 counties. 

Go chasing it and I doubt anyone in HQ will be too pushed either, unless the Sunday Game and the media were leading the charge of course. Eventually it'll just seem like sour grapes from Offaly's part.

Let sleeping dogs bite lie.

Ohtoohtobe

You can mention the incident but I think it's very bad judgment to name a player when this is complete speculation. Indeed I'd wonder if it's libel.

Any 'evidence' is about as reliable as Chinese whispers at this stage and yet this now attaches itself to the player's reputation. I really think the administrators should remove the player's name.

Muck Savage

Quote from: Ohtoohtobe on June 20, 2012, 01:11:31 PM
You can mention the incident but I think it's very bad judgment to name a player when this is complete speculation. Indeed I'd wonder if it's libel.

Any 'evidence' is about as reliable as Chinese whispers at this stage and yet this now attaches itself to the player's reputation. I really think the administrators should remove the player's name.

As BNM points out the Ref booked him for it but pretty sure it won't make it's way into any Referees report because this sort of stuff gets brushed under the rug. It a pretty nasty sort of a crime and hope this isn't what's going to creep into the game, the time to address it is early on. If he wasn;t booked for this what was the booking for?

As AZ points out, the Offaly CB are unlikely to try follow up on this but it still doesn't make the crime any worse.

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Muck Savage on June 20, 2012, 09:30:12 PM

As BNM points out the Ref booked him for it but pretty sure it won't make it's way into any Referees report because this sort of stuff gets brushed under the rug. It a pretty nasty sort of a crime and hope this isn't what's going to creep into the game, the time to address it is early on. If he wasn;t booked for this what was the booking for?

As AZ points out, the Offaly CB are unlikely to try follow up on this but it still doesn't make the crime any worse.

The two of them were wrestling on the ground off the ball. It was the linesman that brought this to the referee's attention and presumably it was him that recommended both players be booked for wrestling with one another. If either official clearly witnessed one player deliberately biting another do you seriously think the referee would deem only a yellow card to be a suitable punishment?

To accuse a player of deliberately biting another is a serious allegation to make and therefore it should be properly investigated and if intent is proven then the perpetrator should face a long ban because of the vile nature of the act. Trial by internet however is to nobody's benefit.

Muck Savage

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on June 20, 2012, 10:08:12 PM
Quote from: Muck Savage on June 20, 2012, 09:30:12 PM

The two of them were wrestling on the ground off the ball. It was the linesman that brought this to the referee's attention and presumably it was him that recommended both players be booked for wrestling with one another. If either official clearly witnessed one player deliberately biting another do you seriously think the referee would deem only a yellow card to be a suitable punishment?

To accuse a player of deliberately biting another is a serious allegation to make and therefore it should be properly investigated and if intent is proven then the perpetrator should face a long ban because of the vile nature of the act. Trial by internet however is to nobody's benefit.

Look, the lad was clearly irate with what happened, after he showed it to the Ref he took action to book the player. Sure you can get into a he said she said after the wrestle on the ground, but the Ref took action after he saw the marks and called the player back.

I'm very confused how someone can bite someone else "by mistake", hitting or kicking by mistake, yeah you could argue, but locking jaws on a lad.

I'll take BNM advice and let sleeping dogs ......

thejuice

Referee is Michael Collins. Sure what chance do we have now.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Jinxy

Game over.
He never forgave ollie murphy.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

AZOffaly

How will he handle McGeeney's new tactics?