Seafoid - The Free State - Any Clubs/Townlands in Irish

Started by Clinker, October 29, 2011, 01:51:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clinker

http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=20532.0

Just came across this and wondered would there be be any Free State clubs and teams that have translations of their  names in Irish.  Would be interesting to hear from any Free Staters like Seafoid in his topic about names and clubs and how they came about in the Free State and their origins if any.

Mike Sheehy

Hardy

Quote from: Clinker on October 29, 2011, 01:51:02 AM

Just came across this and wondered would there be be any Free State clubs and teams that have translations of their  names in Irish.  Would be interesting to hear from any Free Staters like Seafoid in his topic about names and clubs and how they came about in the Free State and their origins if any.

I doubt there are any. Maybe a few in Afrikaans.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Hardy on October 29, 2011, 03:58:12 PM

Is that the Orange Free State? I thought that was further North!
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

norabeag

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on October 29, 2011, 08:08:35 PM

Judging by some of your posts it could well be " Orange " Free State

Clinker

Irish people up here find Oulart The Ballagh an interesting one.
Any Staters have the ability to explain the origin?
Or have youse Suitable Total Amnesia regarding everything?
STA

seafoid

Down south at the entrance to every village there is a signpost in English and Irish.
Who compiles the names in Irish up North?   

5 Sams

Quote from: seafoid on October 31, 2011, 04:57:48 PM
Down south at the entrance to every village there is a signpost in English and Irish.
Who compiles the names in Irish up North?

Same in Newry & Mourne Council Area and a few others I think with nationalist majorities.

AFAIK it's the Council's Irish Language Officer's role to do the translations....most of them are correct as well ;)

Mar shampla...

The Aristocrat Years

Eamonnca1

Didn't the people of Dingle kick up a stink about a proposal to change the official name of the town back to its original Irish version? I hear they fought tooth and nail again it.

Farrandeelin

Farrandeelin - Fearann Díleann. Meaning townland of the floods.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Onlooker

The official name of every GAA club in the country is in Irish.  I am sure you are not really interested, clinker, but Oulart and The Ballagh are 2 neighbouring villages in Co. Wexford.  The official name of the club (in Irish) is Abhalloirt-An Bealach.

AQMP

One of the more unusual names I've come across is Newtownbutler First Fermanagh's so called because they were the first club in Fermanagh to affiliate to the GAA.  It's rendered something like An Chead Chumann Fhear Manach An Baile Nua although Newtown also use the more "more Irish" version of Achadh Gé for the town.

Rossfan

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on November 01, 2011, 04:24:03 AM
Didn't the people of Dingle kick up a stink about a proposal to change the official name of the town back to its original Irish version? I hear they fought tooth and nail again it.

The authorities wanted to call it "An Daingean" but it had always been Daingean Uí Chúis with Dingle as the Anglicised version.
A bit like Brí Cúlainn becoming Bré  ::) in official circles .
What next I  wonder ?  "Corc" instead of Corcaigh for that place by the Laoi/Lee?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

5 Sams

Quote from: Rossfan on November 01, 2011, 02:04:13 PM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on November 01, 2011, 04:24:03 AM

The authorities wanted to call it "An Daingean" but it had always been Daingean Uí Chúis with Dingle as the Anglicised version.
A bit like Brí Cúlainn becoming Bré  ::) in official circles .
What next I  wonder ?  "Corc" instead of Corcaigh for that place by the Laoi/Lee?

Apart from that the authorities wanted to use the Irish version only on signage and the locals were up in arms because they thought it would confuse tourists!!
The Aristocrat Years

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: norabeag on October 29, 2011, 08:10:50 PM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on October 29, 2011, 08:08:35 PM

Judging by some of your posts it could well be " Orange " Free State

Ya think so? Very much doubht it, unless it is my views on it being a Green, White and Orange state, not just a Green one
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.