Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Bob

It's underneath and to a lesser extent above the kneecap. Haven't run since Friday and eased off a bit when descending stairs but it's still there

imtommygunn

I don't *think* that is ITB which is what MR is talking about. More likely to be runners knee though BM is your man for this kind of thing. If your ITB is giving you problems then you would feel it up the side of their leg. Stretching out your quads would definitely do you no harm and probably things like glute medius.

Ethan Tremblay

Question for runners. 

The mrs is interested in doing the Dublin Marathon but it appears to now be sold out.  Is there anyway of getting her into it at this stage?
I tend to think of myself as a one man wolfpack...

mrdeeds

Fair play to Thomas Barr.

Jim Bob

Me again. Applied an ice pack to my knee and left on for half hour. Am now left with a red burn mark around my knee. Ice pack burn I assume. Not sore but quite a red mark. Anyone ever experience this?. From reading online I am seeing stuff from " it ll go away eventually no harm in it " to " get medical treatment immediately possibility of developing into more serious condition"

Insane Bolt

Some double by the 17 year old Ingerbrigtsen

ballinaman

Quote from: Jim Bob on August 11, 2018, 05:34:03 PM
Me again. Applied an ice pack to my knee and left on for half hour. Am now left with a red burn mark around my knee. Ice pack burn I assume. Not sore but quite a red mark. Anyone ever experience this?. From reading online I am seeing stuff from " it ll go away eventually no harm in it " to " get medical treatment immediately possibility of developing into more serious condition"
Patellafemoral pain/runners knee. Just keep on eye on how much miles you are doing and not spike your training volume / intensity. This is the cause of gradual onset of knee pain in majority of runners in my experience ....get the load right

Ice burn will resolve. No need to leave ice application on much >10 minutes at a time as cryotherapy affects have reached peak then research says. Better off applying 10 minute intermittently than continuously.

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: ballinaman on August 12, 2018, 05:18:59 AM
Quote from: Jim Bob on August 11, 2018, 05:34:03 PM
Patellafemoral pain/runners knee. Just keep on eye on how much miles you are doing and not spike your training volume / intensity. This is the cause of gradual onset of knee pain in majority of runners in my experience ....get the load right

Ice burn will resolve. No need to leave ice application on much >10 minutes at a time as cryotherapy affects have reached peak then research says. Better off applying 10 minute intermittently than continuously.
Standing in a lake, sea or stream is even better

CD

Just had MRI to confirm my fourth partial ACL tear. First one was 12 years ago' then 2012, 2014 and last month. Physio got me through the last few but it's much sorer this time. Anyone with experience of this? Waiting on an orthopaedic appointment to discuss next steps. In 2014 surgeon said he was 50/50 and basically let me make the call. Keeps going though so I reckon surgery this time. A niggling lower back pain is definitely linked and I have had limited movement in that knee/leg for a decade. Any one know risks and time for recovery?
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

ballinaman

Quote from: CD on August 21, 2018, 08:51:19 PM
Just had MRI to confirm my fourth partial ACL tear. First one was 12 years ago' then 2012, 2014 and last month. Physio got me through the last few but it's much sorer this time. Anyone with experience of this? Waiting on an orthopaedic appointment to discuss next steps. In 2014 surgeon said he was 50/50 and basically let me make the call. Keeps going though so I reckon surgery this time. A niggling lower back pain is definitely linked and I have had limited movement in that knee/leg for a decade. Any one know risks and time for recovery?
If you want to participate in multi directional cutting sports...current evidence favours surgery. However surgery accelerates the arthritic process in the knee joint which you need to be aware up. 3 months post surgery you can jog usually , 9-12 months before pitch ready. (Generally)

If you just want to run and do non contact linear sports, running..cycling..ACL deficient knee is absolutely fine. Comes with the caveat of really working hard on your rehab for a sustained period. No accelerated arthritis however .

CD

Quote from: ballinaman on August 22, 2018, 09:22:57 AM
If you want to participate in multi directional cutting sports...current evidence favours surgery. However surgery accelerates the arthritic process in the knee joint which you need to be aware up. 3 months post surgery you can jog usually , 9-12 months before pitch ready. (Generally)

If you just want to run and do non contact linear sports, running..cycling..ACL deficient knee is absolutely fine. Comes with the caveat of really working hard on your rehab for a sustained period. No accelerated arthritis however .
Thanks ballinaman. That's the toss up - I think surgery will end the associated back pain and enable me to run unencumbered for a few years but arthritis could be accelerated. A bit like getting the eyes lazered!! No longer short sighted but now I need reading glassses!
Sports are done for me so just running. Would running with a knee support help in long term?
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

ballinaman

Quote from: CD on August 22, 2018, 01:53:48 PM
Quote from: ballinaman on August 22, 2018, 09:22:57 AM

Thanks ballinaman. That's the toss up - I think surgery will end the associated back pain and enable me to run unencumbered for a few years but arthritis could be accelerated. A bit like getting the eyes lazered!! No longer short sighted but now I need reading glassses!
Sports are done for me so just running. Would running with a knee support help in long term?
Back pain is complex and can be due to a number of factors , id be hesitant to pin it all down on recent knee pain.
Id highly recommend Enda King in Santry Sports Clinic to look after you.
Knee support when running would have a placebo affect initially as they aren't really able to do much vs ground reaction force when running , but if makes you feel more confident and better...fire away for a short time ...don't want to create a dependency in the long term though. throw us a pm if you unsure of anything

mrdeeds

Looking for advice. I have a lower back problem which has being ongoing for five months and I am in agony with it at times. It is on the right side and pain shoots down into the leg too at times.  I have tried both physio and a chiropractor for it and neither has worked fully. Couple quick questions. Would physio or a chiropractor be more effective. Also if these options aren't working what next?

imtommygunn

Have you had an MRI? Back pain running down the leg could be disc related, sciatica or could just be tightness round piriformis (wish) muscle.

If you have private health you could get an MRI quickly or see a GP and get on the waiting list. It could rule the serious stuff in or out.

(Disclaimer BM is a physio so knows much more than any of us but the above is based on previous experience!)

ballinaman

Quote from: mrdeeds on August 30, 2018, 08:46:14 PM
Looking for advice. I have a lower back problem which has being ongoing for five months and I am in agony with it at times. It is on the right side and pain shoots down into the leg too at times.  I have tried both physio and a chiropractor for it and neither has worked fully. Couple quick questions. Would physio or a chiropractor be more effective. Also if these options aren't working what next?
Where are you based ? Can you see a chartered physiotherapist with a good reputation?

https://www.independent.ie/life/health-wellbeing/health-features/10-myths-about-back-pain-and-how-to-cope-when-it-strikes-35330563.html