Movie recommendations

Started by corn02, October 23, 2007, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paco

I liked The Shining, but it never really scared me. One that did was Mirrors, it's on Channel 4 tonight at 10pm I think. It was such an unpleasant experience that I haven't watched a horror film in the cinema since!

Tony Baloney

Quote from: nrico2006 on May 23, 2011, 09:14:02 AM
On another note, watched Deja Vu and John Q at the weekend for the 20th time each.  I think I will hoke out Fallen, Man On Fire and He Got Game this week.
The boner for Denzel remains? Your missus should concerned.

AFS

Quote from: The Iceman on May 23, 2011, 04:58:56 PM
Quote from: SLIGONIAN on May 23, 2011, 10:58:59 AM
Quote from: AFS on May 20, 2011, 04:36:57 PM
Quote from: The Iceman on May 20, 2011, 01:27:10 PM
Don't get to the Cinema that often but heading tonight to see Thor in 3D.
Looking forward to the experience if nothing else.

Don't be. Wasn't shot in 3D, so they've just jazzed up a couple of scenes in order to rob an extra few pounds off you. Complete gimmick.
:o Ive seen 2d and 3d, and about 45 mins of is in 3d, all the asgard stuff is proper 3d, and some on earth, enjoy iceman, visually stunning imho.
I went to see it in 2D on the recommendations earlier, wish I read your post first. Thought the film was a good adaption of the comic story. Wasn't sure how they would pull it off but it worked.
Will hopefully see a 3D movie soon.

The Transformers movie this summer sounds like it'll be worth seeing in 3D.

Were those couple of scenes worth the extra 3 or 4 quid though Sligonian? Not in my book. Half arsed 3D retrofits like this are money grabs, pure and simple.

Bogball XV

do they charge more to watch 3d??

Capt Pat

Quote from: Denn Forever on May 23, 2011, 07:13:37 PM
If you want to be scared tonight, The Shining is on ITV4 at 22.00 tonight.

Is it from this film that "Heres Johnny" is from?

I think it might have been from the introduction of Johnny Carson on tye late show that was copied in the film in his madness.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Bogball XV on May 24, 2011, 10:06:37 AM

found that out to my cost one day, kids birthday she invited 9/10 kids cant remember but the look on my wifes face when she came away from the counter told its own picture!!

Nearly took the kids out of the place when i found the bill
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: AFS on May 24, 2011, 12:52:02 AM
Quote from: The Iceman on May 23, 2011, 04:58:56 PM
Quote from: SLIGONIAN on May 23, 2011, 10:58:59 AM
Quote from: AFS on May 20, 2011, 04:36:57 PM
Quote from: The Iceman on May 20, 2011, 01:27:10 PM
Don't get to the Cinema that often but heading tonight to see Thor in 3D.
Looking forward to the experience if nothing else.

Don't be. Wasn't shot in 3D, so they've just jazzed up a couple of scenes in order to rob an extra few pounds off you. Complete gimmick.
:o Ive seen 2d and 3d, and about 45 mins of is in 3d, all the asgard stuff is proper 3d, and some on earth, enjoy iceman, visually stunning imho.
I went to see it in 2D on the recommendations earlier, wish I read your post first. Thought the film was a good adaption of the comic story. Wasn't sure how they would pull it off but it worked.
Will hopefully see a 3D movie soon.

The Transformers movie this summer sounds like it'll be worth seeing in 3D.

Were those couple of scenes worth the extra 3 or 4 quid though Sligonian? Not in my book. Half arsed 3D retrofits like this are money grabs, pure and simple.
To me its was proper 3d, and it was all the asgard stuff (more than half the movie) and thors hammer time on earth, to me specifically Thor 3d was not a money grab and well worth seeing and justifable. You seem to have a chip on your shoulder regarding money grabbing 3d and thats fair enough but not in case imho.

Transformers was also shot in proper 3d like Avatar so it should visually spectacular, but the 2nd one was a disaster, rubbish and if he has as many transformers in this one, shit acting and poor story the effects wont save it imo. The trailer looks worrying in that regard but action look typically intense.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Bogball XV

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 24, 2011, 12:43:24 PM

found that out to my cost one day, kids birthday she invited 9/10 kids cant remember but the look on my wifes face when she came away from the counter told its own picture!!

and is it for the glasses?  which I presume you don't get to keep either, so is it for rental for the glasses?  I presume the glasses aren't like the ones you get with the 3d tv's?

Capt Pat

All these 3d movies so far have been second rate. If you want to see fast clourful moving objects in 3 dimensions then go watch the traffic. Start making movies where all the effort goes into the storyline first and visual effects second.

paco

I have yet to see a film in 3D. On a fairly similar note, has anyone here played the new Nintendo 3DS which supposedly gives 3D without the need for glasses?

AFS

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on May 24, 2011, 01:48:21 PM
To me its was proper 3d, and it was all the asgard stuff (more than half the movie) and thors hammer time on earth, to me specifically Thor 3d was not a money grab and well worth seeing and justifable. You seem to have a chip on your shoulder regarding money grabbing 3d and thats fair enough but not in case imho.

I don't know what you mean by 'proper 3D'. 3D movies are either shot in 3D, or shot in 2D then converted to 3D. Thor was shot in 2D, and was intended to be released in 2D, before someone got the idea to convert it. That idea was motivated by money, there are any number of commentators that came to this conclusion.

I found Thor decent enough craic, and 3D can offer a good experience when done well, but I and many, many others just thought Thor 3D to be a poor representation of the technology.

Orangemac

Quote from: Bogball XV on May 24, 2011, 03:07:41 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 24, 2011, 12:43:24 PM

and is it for the glasses?  which I presume you don't get to keep either, so is it for rental for the glasses?  I presume the glasses aren't like the ones you get with the 3d tv's?
Extra £2 each in our local cinema. £22 for me and 3 kids last time I went for 2 or 3 scenes that characters come out from the screen. Novelty wears off quickly although a good horror in 3d might be worth the money.

Luckily most films are in both 2 and 3d so can fob the kids off that we missed the 3d version.

Nally Stand

Best film to see for 3D effects.... Discuss
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

AbbeySider

Quote from: Nally Stand on May 25, 2011, 02:24:17 AM

I liked Tron in 3D, I preferred Avatar in 2D

Cant wait for Titanic in 3D

andoireabu

Quote from: AbbeySider on May 25, 2011, 09:12:12 AM
Quote from: Nally Stand on May 25, 2011, 02:24:17 AM

I liked Tron in 3D, I preferred Avatar in 2D

Cant wait for Titanic in 3D
Wonder will it still sink?

Saw a couple of 3d films.  Alice in Wonderland and Clash of the Titans.  AIW was a decent enough film but didn't see the need for 3d and CotT was dung.  Both ways.  Kinda put me off the idea of 3d but a good experience might change my mind
Private Cowboy: Don't shit me, man!
Private Joker: I wouldn't shit you. You're my favorite turd!