Movie recommendations

Started by corn02, October 23, 2007, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Estimator

Watched Mike Leigh's Another Year - It had a lot of excellent reviews, but it was just plain boring and quite depressing.
Also watched Let Me In - the remake of the Let The Right One In.  Though not as eerie as the original its certainly good viewing.
Ulster League Champions 2009

Puckoon

Watched Buried with Ryan Reynolds last night. Watchable - 6.5 out of 10.

Norf Tyrone

King's Speech. Very good. Thought the guy that played Lionel Logue the therapist was fantastic with some great lines.

I'd give it 8.5 out of 10!
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

Capt Pat

Lock stock and 2 smoking barrels starting on utv now.

Niall Quinn

I thought Rango was a very stylish effort.
On a 0-11 utility scale of life experiences, I'd give it a 6.3.
Back to the howling old owl in the woods, hunting the horny back toad

Canalman

Saw London Boulevard last night...... watchable but imo could have been better. Brilliant cast, however I still cannot see how Knightley became such a star.

nrico2006

Quote from: Canalman on March 25, 2011, 09:35:36 AM
Saw London Boulevard last night...... watchable but imo could have been better. Brilliant cast, however I still cannot see how Knightley became such a star.

Spot on.  I dunno if it was my copy I watched it on or not, but there seemed to be bits of the film that skipped on without you really knowing what happened.  An example being the time where Winstone came in to the Doctor on the bed, had he killed Farrrels sister or not?  Definitely thought it could have been a whole lot better, there really wasn't much of a story to it. 

SPOILER ALERT

These type of films are very predictable at the end.  I am fed up watching a film where you know they are going to kill of the main character, and in this films case by a wimp.  The same happened in Layer Cake and I also watched The American recently which was again predictable.  On a side note your doll in The American has as great a set as I have seen in a while.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Capt Pat

Quote from: nrico2006 on March 25, 2011, 10:33:45 AM

Spot on.  I dunno if it was my copy I watched it on or not, but there seemed to be bits of the film that skipped on without you really knowing what happened.  An example being the time where Winstone came in to the Doctor on the bed, had he killed Farrrels sister or not?  Definitely thought it could have been a whole lot better, there really wasn't much of a story to it. 

SPOILER ALERT

These type of films are very predictable at the end.  I am fed up watching a film where you know they are going to kill of the main character, and in this films case by a wimp.  The same happened in Layer Cake and I also watched The American recently which was again predictable.  On a side note your doll in The American has as great a set as I have seen in a while.

Always makes a movie pleasant when they have assets like those in them. i don't know how people could have been so disappointed with the American because of those 2 special features.

nrico2006

Quote from: Capt Pat on March 25, 2011, 11:41:26 AM
Quote from: nrico2006 on March 25, 2011, 10:33:45 AM

SPOILER ALERT

Always makes a movie pleasant when they have assets like those in them. i don't know how people could have been so disappointed with the American because of those 2 special features.

I thought the American was actually very good.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

SLIGONIAN

Saw the Adjustment Bureau with matt damon and emily blunt, was blown away tbh, 9.5 out of 10, thought it was briiliant story and well paced action. Best film of 2011 so far for me.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

nrico2006

Thinking of getting Unstoppable, Monsters or Secreteriat?  Anyone seen them?

Armamike

Hall Pass, very very funny.  Some typical Farrelly Brothers moments.
That's just, like your opinion man.

ross4life

Quantum of Solace on UTV at 9pm tonight.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Tony Baloney

Quote from: nrico2006 on March 25, 2011, 04:20:59 PM
Thinking of getting Unstoppable, Monsters or Secreteriat?  Anyone seen them?
You'll get Unstoppable cos you've a root for Denzel. Is Secretariat about the horse?

mc_grens

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on March 25, 2011, 01:16:45 PM
Saw the Adjustment Bureau with matt damon and emily blunt, was blown away tbh, 9.5 out of 10, thought it was briiliant story and well paced action. Best film of 2011 so far for me.

I thought it was excellent. Right in my wheelhouse with the fate versus choice thing and all.

Oh, and I'm in love with Emily Blunt.