Movie recommendations

Started by corn02, October 23, 2007, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canalman

Personally think that DDL spoilt both Gangs of New York and There Will be Blood by overegging the acting in both. Massively disappointed by both films.

Watched ending of Glory after the Dublin games. Some film........... absolutely class.

Denn Forever

Interesting programme on BBC4 tonight.  Looks liked a good introduction to the book of film.

22:00 To Kill a Mockingbird at 50 (R) (T) Andrew Smith marks the 50th anniversary of the Pulitzer Prize-winning novel. He heads for Monroeville in Alabama to investigate the inspiration behind author Harper Lee's southern Gothic tale, and to discover how much has changed in the half-century since the book was first published.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

STREET FIGHTER

Watched Dinner @ the Schmucks recently.

One of the worst films i have ever seen.

Avoid at all costs.

CiKe

Quote from: STREET FIGHTER on February 21, 2011, 07:47:50 PM

Avoid at all costs.

Not seen it, but watch "le diner de cons" (?) the french original, is very good.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: CiKe on February 21, 2011, 08:35:39 PM

Avoid at all costs.

Not seen it, but watch "le diner de cons" (?) the french original, is very good.
If there was a good film in English would you watch it or prefer to seek it out in Swahili?

CiKe

Quote from: Tony Baloney on February 21, 2011, 08:59:49 PM

Avoid at all costs.

If there was a good film in English would you watch it or prefer to seek it out in Swahili?

Funny. I'm fairly open minded Tony, will watch most languages - I guess it comes from studying languages (and actually immersing myself in the culture as opposed to typical farting about on Erasmus) and living abroad / living with foreigners.

Incidentally, at the weekend just bought Life is Beautiful (Italian) - never seen before, really enjoyed it - and Katyn (Polish).

My current English language films to watch are Valkyrie (have heard is a bit crap), Two Lovers (meant to be good) and Lord of War (heard mixed things about it), in addition to trying to get to see Black Swam, The Fighter and True Grit (don't really see the better half bee enthusiastic about any of these though...)

Orangemac

Quote from: Don Johnson on February 20, 2011, 08:33:29 PM
Quote from: bigfrank on February 20, 2011, 08:22:08 PM
never heard of the prestige don....went to the info section there on tv guide tho and seems like something i might like...might just give it a few hours later

Chris Nolan directed it. For a film starring Hugh Jackman, Christian Bale, Scarlett Johansson and Michael Caine it sort of went under the radar for a while. Highly recommended.
Watched this last night. Very good although hard enough to follow. Just 1 thing did Hugh Jackman's clone survive at the end?

Better film than Inception imo. Illusionist which was out around the same time is also a good watch.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: CiKe on February 21, 2011, 10:35:35 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on February 21, 2011, 08:59:49 PM

Avoid at all costs.

Funny. I'm fairly open minded Tony, will watch most languages - I guess it comes from studying languages (and actually immersing myself in the culture as opposed to typical farting about on Erasmus) and living abroad / living with foreigners.

Incidentally, at the weekend just bought Life is Beautiful (Italian) - never seen before, really enjoyed it - and Katyn (Polish).

My current English language films to watch are Valkyrie (have heard is a bit crap), Two Lovers (meant to be good) and Lord of War (heard mixed things about it), in addition to trying to get to see Black Swam, The Fighter and True Grit (don't really see the better half bee enthusiastic about any of these though...)
Do you own a cravat?

ONeill

Quote from: Orangemac on February 21, 2011, 10:44:33 PM
never heard of the prestige don....went to the info section there on tv guide tho and seems like something i might like...might just give it a few hours later

Chris Nolan directed it. For a film starring Hugh Jackman, Christian Bale, Scarlett Johansson and Michael Caine it sort of went under the radar for a while. Highly recommended.
Watched this last night. Very good although hard enough to follow. Just 1 thing did Hugh Jackman's clone survive at the end?

Better film than Inception imo. Illusionist which was out around the same time is also a good watch.

Enjoyed it too but would like to see it again.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Don Johnson

Quote from: ONeill on February 21, 2011, 11:19:42 PM

Yeah it is a lot better the second viewing. Everything falls into place and you see a lot of things you missed the first time around.

Orangemac - no, Bale shot him.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Don Johnson on February 21, 2011, 11:29:34 PM

Yeah it is a lot better the second viewing. Everything falls into place and you see a lot of things you missed the first time around.

Erm spoiler alert?

Capt Pat

Full metal jacket just startedn utv.

Capt Pat

25 years old and it still packs quite a punch. I must have seen it about a dozen times.

Don Johnson

Quote from: Tony Baloney on February 21, 2011, 11:59:06 PM
Quote from: Don Johnson on February 21, 2011, 11:29:34 PM

Erm spoiler alert?

Yup.

Orior

I watched Paradise Lost last night on Film 4.

Good film with something for everyone. Might put some people off travelling to South America, but then again, that sort of thing could happen anywhere.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians