Movie recommendations

Started by corn02, October 23, 2007, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: ballinaman on February 19, 2011, 12:12:53 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 19, 2011, 12:10:51 AM
Enjoyable romp tho, What movie can we not predict now days??
Memento

Asked for that, and any film regarding Alzheimer's
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

ziggysego

Quote from: ONeill on February 19, 2011, 12:09:39 AM
Finally got to watch Inception. Don't get the fuss. After an hour it became predictable and I couldn't give a damn.

Thank God for that. Anytime I said the same to my friend, I was put down and told I didn't understand the complexities of the film. It was just popcorn made to look smart.
Testing Accessibility

ONeill

Quote from: ziggysego on February 19, 2011, 12:23:14 AM
Finally got to watch Inception. Don't get the fuss. After an hour it became predictable and I couldn't give a damn.

Thank God for that. Anytime I said the same to my friend, I was put down and told I didn't understand the complexities of the film. It was just popcorn made to look smart.

Couldn't agree more. Had heard so much about this being a thinking film. Balls to that. Just a mind fcuk for 20 mins at the start and then it's a bit Disney.

Ballinaman - World's Greatest Dad is a hidden gem. Watched it twice in 2 weeks and Robin Williams' performance gets better.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

ross4life

Quote from: ballinaman on February 19, 2011, 12:12:53 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 19, 2011, 12:10:51 AM
Enjoyable romp tho, What movie can we not predict now days??
Memento

Yep Memento a good example others would be Se7en,Mulholland Dr & Identity
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

bigfrank

Seen the fighter 2nite in the cinema....and i have to say i loved it...thought it was great film and would recommend it...maybe not to a woman tho :)

ross matt

Quote from: ONeill on February 19, 2011, 12:29:31 AM
Quote from: ziggysego on February 19, 2011, 12:23:14 AM

Couldn't agree more. Had heard so much about this being a thinking film. Balls to that. Just a mind fcuk for 20 mins at the start and then it's a bit Disney.

Ballinaman - World's Greatest Dad is a hidden gem. Watched it twice in 2 weeks and Robin Williams' performance gets better.

Only seen it recently. Must have missed the hype (if there was any when it was in the cinema). Very intelligent movie. Williams was class.

Don Johnson

Today I have been sick so I have watched True Grit then The Town.

True Grit was ok, I think my expectations were too high for it. Still ok, about a 6.5. I had heard The Town was a Heat Mk 2 so I couldn't stop thinking about that the whole time I watched it. But was stil enjoyable enough and kept me excited until the end.

For anyone who hasn't had the pleasure of it yet, BBC2 10pm The Prestige is on. I shall be watching for about the twentieth time.

bigfrank

never heard of the prestige don....went to the info section there on tv guide tho and seems like something i might like...might just give it a few hours later

Don Johnson

Quote from: bigfrank on February 20, 2011, 08:22:08 PM
never heard of the prestige don....went to the info section there on tv guide tho and seems like something i might like...might just give it a few hours later

Chris Nolan directed it. For a film starring Hugh Jackman, Christian Bale, Scarlett Johansson and Michael Caine it sort of went under the radar for a while. Highly recommended.

Radda bout yeee

Watched a few films recently:

The Town - Good enough show 7/10
Takers - Similar kind of storyline but not as good 5/10 (actually nodded of for about 20mins woke up and hadn't lost the plot)
Social Network - was really looking forward to this show due to the hype but even though it was good enough it wasn't as good as they are making out. 6.5/10

But by far THE best show I have seen in a long time is CATFISH I would reccommend it to everyone. 10/10

Banana Man

seen the fighter the other night, very good show, would recommend it

nrico2006

Quote from: Radda bout yeee on February 21, 2011, 03:21:26 PM

Takers - Similar kind of storyline but not as good 5/10 (actually nodded of for about 20mins woke up and hadn't lost the plot)
Social Network - was really looking forward to this show due to the hype but even though it was good enough it wasn't as good as they are making out. 6.5/10

But by far THE best show I have seen in a long time is CATFISH I would reccommend it to everyone. 10/10

Takers was dung, and I agree with you on The Social Network too.  Weirdly directed film in my opinion, too much jumping from present to past in the first half hour without clearly indicating, and the twins just disappeared.  There was alot of focus on them and that was it, suddenly their involvement just stopped, weird.

Bought an old favourite of mine at the weekend, haven't seen it in years either - Pet Semetary.  Freaky as hell.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

ONeill

Of Gods and Men (Des hommes et des dieux)

Excellent account of the Trappist Monks in Algeria who were told to leave the country but refused to do so. Beauitful film.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: nrico2006 on February 21, 2011, 03:58:18 PM
Quote from: Radda bout yeee on February 21, 2011, 03:21:26 PM

Takers was dung, and I agree with you on The Social Network too.  Weirdly directed film in my opinion, too much jumping from present to past in the first half hour without clearly indicating, and the twins just disappeared.  There was alot of focus on them and that was it, suddenly their involvement just stopped, weird.

Bought an old favourite of mine at the weekend, haven't seen it in years either - Pet Semetary.  Freaky as hell.
You just didn't understand it. At least admit that fact.

bloodybreakball

would have to agree with you lads that i preferred no country to there will be blood, theres a great atmosphere in both films but the storyline in there will be blood is poor enough and the ending is a bit unsatisfactory i thought. Although at the time those films were released bradd pitt and casey affleck's Assination Of Jesse James was also out have to say i probably enjoyed it more than the other two, fantastic cinematography. thought that the three films were sort of along the same lines being about the wild west
seen a fantastic film at the weekend, had it saved on the sky+ from the father ted special over the new year on channel 4: The Heartbreak Kid, very funny, the lead actor reminded me of Larry David which is never a bad thing, and its a great madcap story and cybill shepherd is absolutrely lethal looking in it