Movie recommendations

Started by corn02, October 23, 2007, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HiMucker

Black swan looks like a film made for the Oscars, were all the acting and hidden meanings are brilliant but its just not enjoyable, were your an intellect if you say "that was a great film".  I remember watching the daniel day lewis film  "There wiil be blood".  Jaysus the actin was great but afterwards I was askin why the heck i watched it, it was ok at best enjoyment wise.  Did anyone here think that it was a great show?

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: HiMucker on February 16, 2011, 03:51:57 PM
Black swan looks like a film made for the Oscars, were all the acting and hidden meanings are brilliant but its just not enjoyable, were your an intellect if you say "that was a great film".  I remember watching the daniel day lewis film  "There wiil be blood".  Jaysus the actin was great but afterwards I was askin why the heck i watched it, it was ok at best enjoyment wise.  Did anyone here think that it was a great show?

i didnt like there will be blood at all, thought i would, but just didnt like it.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

nrico2006

Quote from: Bogball XV on February 16, 2011, 02:48:46 PM
Quote from: Don Johnson on February 13, 2011, 11:21:31 PM
Quote from: ziggysego on February 13, 2011, 11:08:59 PM
I'm thinking of heading to the cinema some night this week, but not sure what to see. Narrowed it down to two:

1:- The Fighter
2:- True Grit

Which would you all recommend.

Black Swan.

I haven't seen either of them tbf.

Black Swan just doesn't appeal to me at all, I know it's probably very good, but there's nothing I've heard about it that would make me want to see it.

I heard there is a qware bit of female liplocking in it.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

The Iceman

Had a bad stomach flu over the weekend there and managed to take in a few films:

The Condemned: Average show but exactly what I needed early on when I had frequent trips to the toilet. Lots of violence, no real dialogue and don't miss anything if you have to leave. 5 out of 10

Over The Top: Fantastic show, loved it in the 80s and still do. Classic Stallone. Classic 80s. 8 out of 10

Law Abiding citizen: Avoided this one for a while and not sure why, turned out to be a decent show with a nice twist and some good performances. 7 out of 10

The Town: Not as good as I suspected but still a great show. Think it was hyped up too much. Nearly wish I hadn't heard about it first and I would have enjoyed it more. 8 out of 10.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Canalman

Cracking war film on tonight at c 1am in morning (grrrrrrr!!!!) called Days of Glory about a platoon of Algerians fighting for the French in WW2. Think on ITV and well worth a watch or skyplussing .

Saw Pan's Labyrinth at weekend. Fairy Tale theme type film, well worth a watch imo.

Hardy

HiMucker

Quote from: Canalman on February 16, 2011, 05:20:14 PM
Cracking war film on tonight at c 1am in morning (grrrrrrr!!!!) called Days of Glory about a platoon of Algerians fighting for the French in WW2. Think on ITV and well worth a watch or skyplussing .

Saw Pan's Labyrinth at weekend. Fairy Tale theme type film, well worth a watch imo.
DAYS OF GLORY IS A GREAT SHOW

ross matt

I experienced the same with "there will be blood". Love Day Lewis and he was brilliant in it but chewed up everyone else in the movie. I didnt think it was much of  a story and wouldnt watch it again.

Bogball XV

Quote from: ross matt on February 17, 2011, 02:45:31 PM

I experienced the same with "there will be blood". Love Day Lewis and he was brilliant in it but chewed up everyone else in the movie. I didnt think it was much of  a story and wouldnt watch it again.
Funny, I did watch it again over christmas and thought it was much better second time around.  It's definitely worth watching imo, not as good as No Country for Old Men, its big oscar rival that year but a good show all the same.

Capt Pat

There is a'so a masturbation scene gone wromg that makes the movie interesting.

Up The Middle

watched the fighter last night. Best show i have seen in a while. Would reccommend it for Bale alone.
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

Canalman

Watched National Lampoon's Vacation there at weekend. Not seen it for a while........... cracking film.

ziggysego

Quote from: Bogball XV on February 18, 2011, 12:41:02 AM
Quote from: ross matt on February 17, 2011, 02:45:31 PM

Funny, I did watch it again over christmas and thought it was much better second time around.  It's definitely worth watching imo, not as good as No Country for Old Men, its big oscar rival that year but a good show all the same.

The second viewing was worse for me, couldn't sit through it all.

First time I saw it, Daniel Day Lewis was brilliant, but the story dragged on a lot and didnt really go anywhere.
Testing Accessibility

Hardy

I gave up on it after an hour or so.

Celt_Man

On There Will Be Blood, I remember watching it in the last year or so, was very impressed with Day Lewis as usual - although thats nothing out of the ordinary there - but I was very let down by the movie as a whole... nothing bloody happens in it and then it just ends...
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010