Movie recommendations

Started by corn02, October 23, 2007, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Baloney

Quote from: screenexile on February 09, 2011, 11:10:59 AM
Watched 'The Fighter' last night . . . thoroughly enjoyed it. It was a bit like the Wrestler only good.

Bale is superb in it. Having seen the roles he has played previously where he is usually the strong, arrogant buff guy he played the vulnerability role very well. Also the transformation of his physique was interesting as well as he managed to turn himself into an awkward gangly character.

Wahlberg was ok but the sisters stole the show with some great lines in it. All in all very enjoyable if slightly too long.
Most reviews I've read have favoured Wahlberg's performance.

lurganblue

Quote from: Tony Baloney on February 09, 2011, 07:55:46 PM
Watched 'The Fighter' last night . . . thoroughly enjoyed it. It was a bit like the Wrestler only good.

Bale is superb in it. Having seen the roles he has played previously where he is usually the strong, arrogant buff guy he played the vulnerability role very well. Also the transformation of his physique was interesting as well as he managed to turn himself into an awkward gangly character.

Wahlberg was ok but the sisters stole the show with some great lines in it. All in all very enjoyable if slightly too long.

I'm looking forward to seeing this film tbh i thought it would have finished with the first Gatti fight but i hear it doesnt so.

CiKe

I'd have thought so too, but apparently ends against the Shamrock Express Shea Neary. For me that makes it more intriguing actually, as gives me impression it will have less of a Holywood coating.

Puckoon

Lots of touting for Bale picking up the oscar for supporting actor - he seems to have stolen the movie from what Ive read.

Don Johnson

Quote from: Canalman on February 07, 2011, 10:01:06 AM
Saw a Korean movie called Oldboy at the weekend on DVD. Seriouslly shocking ending to the film and I don't shock too easily. A headwrecker of a flick. Can't reallly see "Hollywood" queuing up to remake it due to its ending.

Word is that Will Smith (possibly others) have bought the rights to remake Oldboy. Please God don't. They will ruin it.

Milltown Row2

Another film they will make a balls up with.

one of the most disturbing films I've ever seen.

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Bogball XV

Quote from: Dinny Breen on February 08, 2011, 04:05:53 PM
QuoteAnd it's very debatable that any film with Matt Damon in it could be called good

Serious, you don't like any of

Good Will Hunting
Rounders
Saving Private Ryan
Green Zone
Invictus
The Bourne Trilogy
Oceans XI
the talented mr ripley anyone? 

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Puckoon on February 09, 2011, 08:52:35 PM

Lots of touting for Bale picking up the oscar for supporting actor - he seems to have stolen the movie from what Ive read.
The academy always like any actor who undergoes a physical transformation. Having said that apparently Wahlberg trained for 5 years for the part.

nrico2006

Anyone seen Skyline or London Boulevard?  Any good?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Fluffy Che

Skyline = Whyline..  shite.  Don't waste your time, 3rd rate drivel.
Midnight to Six..

ballinaman

The Iceman

The remake with Forest Whitaker is a good show
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

pintsofguinness

Quote from: ballinaman on February 08, 2011, 11:04:02 PM
Quote from: ross matt on February 08, 2011, 09:02:49 PM
Quote from: ballinaman on February 08, 2011, 01:54:55 AM
Watched True Grit......average to say the least, expected more from the Coen brothers!

Really Ballinaman?
Feck! Was hopin' in would live up to the hype. Have'nt watched it yet.
I'll give it another watch to make sure but wasn't all that great to be honest. Also, subtitles were needed for Jeff Bridges....
Seen it tonight, really enjoyed it though could have been a bit longer imo
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

stiffler

Anyone seen the mechanic or neds? Any of them worth a watch?
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

Orangemac

Just saw a trailer for a new movie coming out soon.Looks good.

Big Mommas. Like Father, Like Son. :D

There are people starving in the world. How much was spent on this crap?