Movie recommendations

Started by corn02, October 23, 2007, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don Johnson

More fucked up than Oldboy?? Hmmm, doesn't sound possible but I will give it a go. It makes up the vengeance trilogy along with Oldboy and Sympathy For Mr Vengeance so I will seek it out next.

Have been on a bit of a foreign movie quest lately, some of the best I have seen the last while:

The Lives Of Others
Un Prophete
La Haine
Mesrine 1 & 2
The Counterfeiters

Then of course City Of God and Downfall which I have seen a few times now but most people will know about them.

Have a Russian war film to watch "Come and see" that is supposed to be good.

CiKe

Quote from: Don Johnson on January 17, 2011, 07:16:16 PM
More fucked up than Oldboy?? Hmmm, doesn't sound possible but I will give it a go. It makes up the vengeance trilogy along with Oldboy and Sympathy For Mr Vengeance so I will seek it out next.

Have been on a bit of a foreign movie quest lately, some of the best I have seen the last while:

The Lives Of Others
Un Prophete
La Haine
Mesrine 1 & 2
The Counterfeiters

Then of course City Of God and Downfall which I have seen a few times now but most people will know about them.

Have seen all of them, all good shows, though struggled a bit with A Prophet. The Lives of Others is one of the best films I've seen in recent years.

You should watch Hidden ("Caché" in French), with Juliette Binoche and Daniel Auteuil. Great psychological thriller, think it was voted film of the decade by The Times.

Don Johnson

Will put it on my 'to see' list, cheers.

flantheman82

Watched half of Carlitos way earlier and planned to watch the 2nd half later on. Seems an excellent movie so far. Can't believe I'd never heard of it before.

Don Johnson

Quote from: flantheman82 on January 17, 2011, 09:31:59 PM
Watched half of Carlitos way earlier and planned to watch the 2nd half later on. Seems an excellent movie so far. Can't believe I'd never heard of it before.

Brilliant show. Better than Scarface in my opinion. Penn i brilliant in it.

The Worker

Whats the most under rated films out there?

for me it has to be the prestige. Only watched it a few months back for the first time, immense show.

Bound to be a few diamonds out there amongst the rough that have slipped under the radar.

Don Johnson

Quote from: The Worker on January 17, 2011, 09:45:32 PM

for me it has to be the prestige. Only watched it a few months back for the first time, immense show.

Bound to be a few diamonds out there amongst the rough that have slipped under the radar.

One of my favourite films ever The Prestige.

Memento by Nolan is another that I think is great. Takes a couple of watches too to get your head round it.

STREET FIGHTER

Quote from: Don Johnson on January 17, 2011, 10:35:59 PM
Quote from: The Worker on January 17, 2011, 09:45:32 PM

One of my favourite films ever The Prestige.

Memento by Nolan is another that I think is great. Takes a couple of watches too to get your head round it.

Memento is class.

nrico2006

The Prestige is very good, as is the Illusionist. 

One of my favourites is K-Pax, never seemed to get much publicity and probably wouldn't be everyones cup of tea. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

mc_grens

On the subject of Sean Penn. I think Mystic River is maybe not underrated by those who've seen it, but its definitely a great movie that's under the radar.

nrico2006

Quote from: mc_grens on January 18, 2011, 09:48:53 AM
On the subject of Sean Penn. I think Mystic River is maybe not underrated by those who've seen it, but its definitely a great movie that's under the radar.

Definitely agree with you.  I have a fondness for films set in Boston too, I loved the setting of Mystic River, Gone Baby Gone and Town.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Milltown Row2

Never tire of the opening scene of "Full Metal Jacket" Drill Sergent is the best

ITV 4 RIGHT NOW
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Minder

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 19, 2011, 10:40:48 PM
Never tire of the opening scene of "Full Metal Jacket" Drill Sergent is the best

ITV 4 RIGHT NOW

+1. I would say I know every line of it.

I am some craic.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Puckoon

Watched 1/3 of shutter island last night before the peepers gave out on me - looking forward to the rest tonight.

tyssam5

Quote from: Don Johnson on January 17, 2011, 07:16:16 PM

The Lives Of Others
Un Prophete
La Haine
Mesrine 1 & 2
The Counterfeiters

Speaking of fucked up and foreign 'antibodies' is a German serial killer type movie that is worth a look.