Previous topic - Next topic

mouview

Quote from: DirtyDozen12 on January 04, 2011, 05:27:53 PM
Quote from: mc_grens on January 04, 2011, 10:57:53 AM
Quote from: nrico2006 on January 04, 2011, 09:18:08 AM
Quote from: ziggysego on January 03, 2011, 10:27:47 PM
Quote from: Big Puff on January 03, 2011, 05:55:49 PM
Quote from: ziggysego on January 03, 2011, 05:46:02 PM
Seen Inception last night. Still don't like Leo. Didn't think it was all that confusing. Tell me, spoiler alert, did the spinner fall over in the end? My sister and I argued about this.

thats the whole point, no one knows

That was my side of the arguement.

I have read Michael Caine claim that the spinner fell over but their view holds no weight IMO, its what you actually see happening on screen that counts.  He also said that it was reality at the end because if he is present then it is real, as he is never in the dream.  But how does him being in the dream mean it is real, as there are others in the dreams created by LDC's subconcious that weren't hooked up either.

One wee clue that most people missed... It was two different kids at the end. They looked different than they did in his dream earlier in the flick. To me that means that he wasn't dreaming as time had moved on and they'd aged. Whereas if it was his dream he'd still be seeing them in the same way every time. Apparently there are other clues pointing to the same conclusion.

Most over-rated film ever produced, utter shite in my opinion.  I forgot what they went into the drams for again, pure dung

Wouldn't go that far, but strange to see how a film so inherently silly is rated so highly on IMDB and is mentioned as a possible Oscar winner.

Speaking of which, Best Film would seem at the moment to be between The King's Speech and Social Network, with the latter possibly being slight favourite as it's American. Best Actor looks like it'll go to Colin Firth, especially after he missed out last year, though James Franco could surprise for 127 Hours. Natalie Portman for Black Swan is in pole for Actress.. which would leave Annette Benning jilted at the altar again. Fincher strongly fancied as Director, but as there's usually a surprise every year the Coens for the well-received True Grit may be worth a wager. Would like to see the always good Mark Ruffalo get a nod for Supporting Actor, or even the equally good Geoffrey Rush, but the increasingly annoying Christian Bale will take beating (and some would love to); Supporting Actress is fairly open though Melissa Leo for longevity would be a popular victor.

mc_grens

Quote from: mouview on January 05, 2011, 11:56:37 AM
Seen Inception last night. Still don't like Leo. Didn't think it was all that confusing. Tell me, spoiler alert, did the spinner fall over in the end? My sister and I argued about this.

I have read Michael Caine claim that the spinner fell over but their view holds no weight IMO, its what you actually see happening on screen that counts.  He also said that it was reality at the end because if he is present then it is real, as he is never in the dream.  But how does him being in the dream mean it is real, as there are others in the dreams created by LDC's subconcious that weren't hooked up either.

One wee clue that most people missed... It was two different kids at the end. They looked different than they did in his dream earlier in the flick. To me that means that he wasn't dreaming as time had moved on and they'd aged. Whereas if it was his dream he'd still be seeing them in the same way every time. Apparently there are other clues pointing to the same conclusion.

Most over-rated film ever produced, utter shite in my opinion.  I forgot what they went into the drams for again, pure dung

Wouldn't go that far, but strange to see how a film so inherently silly is rated so highly on IMDB and is mentioned as a possible Oscar winner.

Speaking of which, Best Film would seem at the moment to be between The King's Speech and Social Network, with the latter possibly being slight favourite as it's American. Best Actor looks like it'll go to Colin Firth, especially after he missed out last year, though James Franco could surprise for 127 Hours. Natalie Portman for Black Swan is in pole for Actress.. which would leave Annette Benning jilted at the altar again. Fincher strongly fancied as Director, but as there's usually a surprise every year the Coens for the well-received True Grit may be worth a wager. Would like to see the always good Mark Ruffalo get a nod for Supporting Actor, or even the equally good Geoffrey Rush, but the increasingly annoying Christian Bale will take beating (and some would love to); Supporting Actress is fairly open though Melissa Leo for longevity would be a popular victor.

I'm REALLY looking forward to True Grit.

Doogie Browser

Seen Social Network over the holidays, very good show, fascinating story into the Facebook phenomenon and how quickly it grew.

Denn Forever

To Kill a Mockingbird is on UTV tonight at 02.40.

Oh to have Sky+ or a Video/DVD recorder.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

nrico2006

Quote from: Denn Forever on January 05, 2011, 02:07:38 PM

Have to tape this, never saw it before but heard it is very good.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Tony Baloney

I wanted to like it but I found it just too pretentious. The producers and directors were at pains to show that this is no popcorn flick and instead is deep, man. It might pass muster to some 16 year old art student but in my book it's just pretentious shit.

Minder

Quote from: nrico2006 on January 05, 2011, 02:11:11 PM

Have read the book, wonder how the film ends  ;)
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Hardy

I watched True Grit last night. I was disappointed. There's nothing really wrong with it, but we expect more than that from the Coens. The performances by Hailee Steinfeld and Matt Damon were good but Jeff Bridges was disappointing for me and a pale shadow of John Wayne in the role. It might have helped a bit if I could have picked up more than half of what he was mumbling.

The language throughout was intentionally stilted ("I do not think", for "I don't think", etc.). Maybe this was authentic for the period -  I don't know, but it came across as a silly device that was distracting.

It was a good yarn, well told and well filmed, but all in all just another standard Western. My main question is why? I just don't understand why they felt the need to remake it and I didn't see anything that they did better than the original, or even much different to it (as far as I remember it), with the exception that the original was much more tongue in cheek, while this one seems to be taking itself very seriously for the most part.

beer baron

Felt the social network was attrocious!Feeble attempt at a movie and just another way to make millions out of  the followers of facebook!
Ok i'm over exaggerating but i was very disappointed when i watched it,few witty remarks and the lad that played Zuckerberg did a good job but all in all was a very bland movie!

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Minder on January 05, 2011, 03:27:55 PM
Quote from: nrico2006 on January 05, 2011, 02:11:11 PM

Have read the book, wonder how the film ends  ;)
Done the book for my Leaving Cert,great book.
I must record the film tonight
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Celt_Man

Watched Piranha 3D the other day and it was quite honestly one of the best movies I have ever seen - it contained one of the most breathtaking, captivating scenes ever display on the sliver screen...

Kelly Brook in the nip

GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

beer baron

Quote from: Celt_Man on January 05, 2011, 04:21:51 PM
Watched Piranha 3D the other day and it was quite honestly one of the best movies I have ever seen - it contained one of the most breathtaking, captivating scenes ever display on the sliver screen...

Kelly Brook in the nip

Nom nom nom

Man Marker

now thats what i call a serious woman, no skinny BS there, curves in the correct places

Croí na hÉireann

Watched Taken last night, very slow to start (almost turned it off) but was good when it got going.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

STREET FIGHTER

Training Day gets better every time I watch it.