Movie recommendations

Started by corn02, October 23, 2007, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Billys Boots

Quote from: Puckoon on November 15, 2010, 06:11:40 PM

Over the weekend I watched a trilogy filmed in the UK about the West Yorkshire constabulary and the corruption of said force during the period of time when the Yorkshire ripper was being investigated. Loosely based on events of the time, it is 3 movies - set in 1974, 1980, and 1983 respectively. Really enjoyable piece of work - perhaps some of you at home are already aware of it - called Red Riding.

http://www.ifcfilms.com/films/the-red-riding-trilogy

Yeah saw that about a year ago - recommended.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

The Iceman

started watching the Box Set of Band of Brothers. Fantastic so far. Don't know why it took me so long to get this. Looking forward to finishing it and watching the Pacific next.
Have Iron Man 2 waiting in the house..... Heard good and bad reports so I'll give it a try....
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

nrico2006

Quote from: The Iceman on November 16, 2010, 04:21:54 PM
started watching the Box Set of Band of Brothers. Fantastic so far. Don't know why it took me so long to get this. Looking forward to finishing it and watching the Pacific next.
Have Iron Man 2 waiting in the house..... Heard good and bad reports so I'll give it a try....

The Pacific is brilliant, took me a while getting though it though as each episode is long enough.  Seen Iron Man a few months ago and it was decent, want to see the new one just for the sake of it. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Capt Pat

I saw Hurt Locker twice in the cinema and thought it was excellent. I don't know where people are getting the its an average movie and didn't deserve the oscars line. There was no better movie in that year.

Tyrones own

Quote from: Capt Pat on November 16, 2010, 05:38:47 PM
I saw Hurt Locker twice in the cinema and thought it was excellent. I don't know where people are getting the its an average movie and didn't deserve the oscars line. There was no better movie in that year.
To each their own as they say Pat.
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

Capt Pat

The new Harry Potter movie is quite good. Nearly 2 and a half hours long, it is good entertainment.

7.5 out of 10.

Capt Pat

Into the wild is on tonight on channel 4.

paco

Watched The Manchurian Candidate last night. Not bad, although I was expecting better. Probably my least favourite Denzel film I've seen. Have a few more Sky+'d, might watch The Pelican Brief tonight. any good?

maximus

Into the wild is a great show with a great soundtrack

Niall Quinn

Quote from: Capt Pat on November 20, 2010, 10:04:13 AM
The new Harry Potter movie is quite good. Nearly 2 and a half hours long, it is good entertainment.

7.5 out of 10.

would agree with that. Hairy potter (as they call him here) has never looked so good.
There was a touch of Dickensian old world magic about that graveyard place.
Back to the howling old owl in the woods, hunting the horny back toad

nrico2006

Quote from: paco on November 20, 2010, 08:38:24 PM
Watched The Manchurian Candidate last night. Not bad, although I was expecting better. Probably my least favourite Denzel film I've seen. Have a few more Sky+'d, might watch The Pelican Brief tonight. any good?

Pelican Brief is very good, watched it again in January.  I like Into The Wild too, was for watching it again last night but have Splice on the hitlist.

Some brilliant Denzel movies are:

- Fallen
- He Got Game
- The Hurrican
- John Q
- Deja Vu
- He Got Game
- Man On Fire
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

JohnDenver

Quote from: nrico2006 on November 21, 2010, 09:51:59 AM
Quote from: paco on November 20, 2010, 08:38:24 PM

Pelican Brief is very good, watched it again in January.  I like Into The Wild too, was for watching it again last night but have Splice on the hitlist.

Some brilliant Denzel movies are:

- Fallen
- He Got Game
- The Hurrican
- John Q
- Deja Vu
- He Got Game
- Man On Fire

Deja Vu there!  :P

Training day has to be up there too, American Gangster aswell.

Canalman

Denzel's best:

Glory
Training Day
Man on Fire.

EagleLord

Seen JFK last night, very long, but very good.

paco

Training Day and Hurricane would probably be my favourite Denzel films. Looking forward to seeing Unstoppable as well.