Movie recommendations

Started by corn02, October 23, 2007, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stiffler

Watched the expendables last night, not a bad action flick.

Much better than the A Team IMO
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

Capt Pat

The expendables is a rough old movie, but entertaining enough. The best thing in it is the impact the big gun makes. Don't expect gone with the wind.

spuds

Watched Saving Private Ryan during week for first time, great film would have been fantastic to see it on the big screen. Opening scenes of the beach landing were shocking gruesome, very real.
9/10
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

Capt Pat

Thanks for telling us about that one. By the way the Allies won the war. I hope I haven't ruined the surprise.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Capt Pat on August 14, 2010, 01:02:32 PM
Thanks for telling us about that one. By the way the Allies won the war. I hope I haven't ruined the surprise.
FFS I was going to watch it tonight until you spoiled the ending!  >:(
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

tyroneboi

I watched Invictus last night and was average enough I thought. The rugby scenes were cheesy as hell but overall was watchable enough I suppose.

I also watched Friday Night Lights during the week (again!!) and it is a quality flick though I am a sucker for them American football movies!

I bought City of God today seen it in HMV and head good reports about it so thought i would pick it up. Anybody seen it?

Schkite

Quote from: tyroneboi on August 14, 2010, 08:40:35 PM
I bought City of God today seen it in HMV and head good reports about it so thought i would pick it up. Anybody seen it?

Excellent film.

paco

Yeah, City of God is class. Coach Carter on RTE2 at 9.30, always an enjoyable film.

ziggysego

Was at The A-Team tonight. I enjoyed it very much and I felt like I was transported back to the 80s again, when I was a small child. The banter being the characters was great and of course hearing the theme blast out in the cinema was brilliant. It's by no means a 'thinker', leave your brains at the door. Way over the top, but sure that's what you want from The A-Team.
Testing Accessibility

Niall Quinn

Get him to the Greek involves two very watchable caricatures, but little more than the sum of those rudiments.
Inception is slick, quite clever and easy to watch, but probably doesn't quite merit its hype. I think memento is a better movie.
Toy story 3 is just one too many tales about buzz lightyear and woody - I've read it was a brilliantly executed variant on the original concept, but I just no longer care for those little toys.

Back to the howling old owl in the woods, hunting the horny back toad

Tony Baloney

Watched The Blind Side last night. Enjoyed it but fail to see what was so special about Sandra Bullock's performance that merited an Oscar.

CiKe

Saw Shutter Island last night, I thoroughly enjoyed it, though the missus didn't think it was up to watch. Also saw "Sin Nombre" during the week - very good film linking story of one family's attempted illegal immigration to the US, and Mexican gang violence

spuds

Quote from: Capt Pat on August 14, 2010, 01:02:32 PM

on Film 4+1 again tonight at 10pm all with your happy ending !
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

The Iceman

seen The Expendables last night.
Not real story and won't be nominated for any Oscars but I wasn't expecting it to be.
Old School action heroes, muscle trucks, motorbikes, gun fights, shoot-outs, hand to hand fights, blood, sweat and bodies everywhere.  Great show for the lads.
Lungren and Li had perfect roles with Lungren surprisingly good. Jason Statham had a great performance.  Stone Cold was Stone Cold.

Can see where this could have went had he got JVD and Segal but all in all a leave your brains at the door, action movie from the 80's - perfect Sunday night viewing.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Celt_Man

Just watching Ladder 49 on BBC at the minute... it's a great show

Saw Green Zone last night, top flick - as good as I've seen in a while.  Decent plot and well directed action scenes
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010