Movie recommendations

Started by corn02, October 23, 2007, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nally Stand

Only thing I remember about No Country for Old Men was being disgusted at the ending! Never watching it ever again!

Seen Inception tonight and it seriously messed with my head!

REALLY CANNOT WAIT TO THIS ONE:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6WOoUG1eNo
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

nrico2006

Quote from: Capt Pat on August 09, 2010, 11:27:09 PM
"No country for Old Men" is the over rated movie. After all the great movies the cone ???brothers made and they give them a hat full of oscars for this one. They knew their time had come and it was made for oscars but was not a great movie.

I agree, to call it the best movie of the past decade is taking the le tiss, you would be here all day listing more suitable candidates for that title. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Canalman

Once again agree that NCfOM is massively overrated. Really let down after watching it.

Goats Do Shave

Quote from: Canalman on August 10, 2010, 01:04:13 PM
Once again agree that NCfOM is massively overrated. Really let down after watching it.

I loved it... Loved the ending too! - Why do you need to be told what happens? - You've got an imagination!

Possibly the Best "baddy" ever!

Hardy

I agree on NCOFM - best I can think of in a long time. Agreed with Benny on performances and Goats on best baddy ever (with the possible exception of Lee Marvin in The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance).

In the cinema I thought the ending was terrible, but within an hour I had re-thought it and thought it was perfect. Goats said it right.

Zapatista

I thought NCfOm was just OK. I can't remember the end right now ??? PM please? I remember it for being the only ever time I liked Tommy Lee Jones in a movie.

There Will be Blood was fantastic. I loved it.

One of my favourite movies of the last 10 years or so was Blood Diamond. Loved Dark Knight too.

Billys Boots

I really liked NCfOM.  Different strokes I suppose.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Celt_Man

Saw Avatar there the other night.  I thought it was a decent movie very watchable and enjoyable, decent storyline (even if it's a rehash of The Last Samurai and Dances With Wolves) but it has to be said I wasn't blown away and I reckon the movie is overhyped to a certain extend.

Unfortunately I saw it on DVD and I would reckon the 3D version would be amazing to watch although I kinda want the movie to be top quality in its own right before talking about the 3D 'effects'

I saw Clash of the Titans too in the last while, enjoyable enough movie - at one stage I was kinda questioning the plot but I realised whats the point, thats not what the film was about.  Decent effects in it, likeable characters and some collection of women to be fair too which always helps Gemma Arterton, Alexa Davalos, Polly Walker and Kaya Scodelario...

GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

Puckoon

Quote from: Celt_Man on August 10, 2010, 03:46:20 PM

I saw Clash of the Titans too in the last while, enjoyable enough movie - at one stage I was kinda questioning the plot but I realised whats the point, thats not what the film was about.  Decent effects in it, likeable characters and some collection of women to be fair too which always helps Gemma Arterton, Alexa Davalos, Polly Walker and Kaya Scodelario...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OlCnPKr4Q8

paco

Watched Invictus last night, decent enough film although it gets a bit cheesy towards the end. Seen Inception at the weekend as well, great film! It and Shutter Island were probably the best 2 films I've seen this year, and hoping that The Expendaples will challenge both! The wait is almost over...

MasterShake

Quote from: bennydorano on August 09, 2010, 10:48:04 PM
Thought there will be blood was middling at best, Lewis was good but verging on hamming it up IMO, thought the same with his character English Bob? in Gangs of NY.  Took the kids to see Toy Story 3 and have to say I was very disappointed considering the rave reviews it got.

Best movie i have seen this past decade is No Country for Old men, that is a movie.  There isn't a bad performance it in but Javier Bardem is just fantastic.

Think you're mixing up 'English Bob' from Unforgiven (played by Richard Harris), and 'Bill the Butcher' from Gangs of New York.

Thought There Will Be Blood was a great film - maybe I'm reading too much into it, but I saw it as an allegory of two vying powers of American society - religion and capitalism (materialism / gain) - for dominance and control. Lewis clearly hammed it up a bit but appeared to be channeling some of the characteristics of Noah Cross in Chinatown.

As Jack Gittes asks Cross in Chinatown: "how much is enough...what more can you buy?" Cross's answer is "the future Mr. Gittes". Daniel Plainview seems determined to own the same thing if he can.

Films seen recently:
Inception: 7/10
Restrepo: 9/10

"Calmer than you are".

bennydorano

Knew it wasn't correct.

I love you philip morris is a great show too. I guess a lot of people mightn't take to it because of the Gay relationship, Ewan mcgregor is as gay as christmas throughout, great performance.

trileacman

Hated NCFOM. Loved TWBB. Suppose its just personal taste!
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Capt Pat

Quote from: Goats Do Shave on August 10, 2010, 02:36:20 PM

I loved it... Loved the ending too! - Why do you need to be told what happens? - You've got an imagination!

I paid for an ending. I refuse to provide my own when going to the cinema. My imagination is not that good. The same goes for the Blair B*itch project

Goats Do Shave

Quote from: Capt Pat on August 10, 2010, 11:12:25 PM
Quote from: Goats Do Shave on August 10, 2010, 02:36:20 PM

I paid for an ending. I refuse to provide my own when going to the cinema. My imagination is not that good. The same goes for the Blair B*itch project

:D :D