Movie recommendations

Started by corn02, October 23, 2007, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AbbeySider

Quote from: Celt_Man on March 20, 2010, 10:39:28 PM
The Departed starting on Channel 4 now... some show!!

Quick question, that guy that is showing Matt Damons character the apartment with the view, is he making a pass at him in that scene with the probing questions to if he is single or if he has a co-signer as the apartment is expensive?

Its a strange scene. Matt Damons character gets a bit impatient and edgy after the estate agents comments and looks a bit uncomfortable.

Celt_Man

Quote from: AbbeySider on March 20, 2010, 10:56:10 PM

Quick question, that guy that is showing Matt Damons character the apartment with the view, is he making a pass at him in that scene with the probing questions to if he is single or if he has a co-signer as the apartment is expensive?

Its a strange scene. Matt Damons character gets a bit impatient and edgy after the estate agents comments and looks a bit uncomfortable.

Na I reckon it's just the estate agent is being a nosey cnut and our boy Sully is pissed off at him
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

AbbeySider

Quote from: Celt_Man on March 20, 2010, 11:00:02 PM

Na I reckon it's just the estate agent is being a nosey cnut and our boy Sully is pissed off at him

I dont know, its a bit suggestive or something the way the estate agent mumbles something about a "house guest" and asked questions of a co-signer.
I reckon he thinks that Sully either earns more than his job suggests or that the fact that Sully is not open about the cosigner that he is hiding his sexuality.
If its the latter, then the only reason the estate agent would say something to that effect is that he would be curious and thus the subtle pass... so Sully offended at the insinuation and impatient with the estate agent.
As I said, strange and subtle scene.

There is a couple of references Sullys sexuality in the film, including the the bits where Sully cant get it up and I think the shrink blames it on post dramatic stress.

haranguerer

Quote from: JimStynes on March 15, 2010, 09:17:30 PM
I agree about Di Caprio, hes an excellant actor and is in some cracking movies.

Brilliant actor, prob my fave ever, Love most of his stuff, inc titatanic. beach which has had mixed reviews is in my top 5 films. Also like the fact i dont hear shit about him in the papers every week

Celt_Man

Quote from: AbbeySider on March 20, 2010, 11:15:07 PM

I dont know, its a bit suggestive or something the way the estate agent mumbles something about a "house guest" and asked questions of a co-signer.
I reckon he thinks that Sully either earns more than his job suggests or that the fact that Sully is not open about the cosigner that he is hiding his sexuality.
If its the latter, then the only reason the estate agent would say something to that effect is that he would be curious and thus the subtle pass... so Sully offended at the insinuation and impatient with the estate agent.

There is a couple of references Sullys sexuality in the film, including the the bits where Sully cant get it up and I think the shrink blames it on post dramatic stress.

Jaysus read into things much??  ;D  Yea most of that kinda makes a bit of sense

AbbeySider

Quote from: haranguerer on March 20, 2010, 11:20:28 PM

Brilliant actor, prob my fave ever, Love most of his stuff, inc titatanic. beach which has had mixed reviews is in my top 5 films. Also like the fact i dont hear shit about him in the papers every week

Apart from his save the world, global warming drum banging stuff?  ;)
He is not the worst I suppose

Celt_Man

Quote from: AbbeySider on March 20, 2010, 11:24:28 PM
Quote from: haranguerer on March 20, 2010, 11:20:28 PM

Apart from his save the world, global warming drum banging stuff?  ;)
He is not the worst I suppose
Good interview with him about all that craic in this week's RTÉ Guide about how working with Scorsese stopped him going down that pretty boy celebrity road to his acting CV benefit

AbbeySider

Quote from: Celt_Man on March 20, 2010, 11:23:41 PM

Maybe I do, I have been referred to as being overly analytical sometimes, but I think those messages are in that scene.  ;D

Also reflecting on it, there could be deliberate correlation between those passes and suggestions by the real estate agent and Sullys lack of performance and libido against Costigans successful relationship with the shrink and her ending up with the main character / hero.

thebigfella

Quote from: AbbeySider on March 20, 2010, 11:36:01 PM

Maybe I do, I have been referred to as being overly analytical sometimes, but I think those messages are in that scene.  ;D

Also reflecting on it, there could be deliberate correlation between those passes and suggestions by the real estate agent and Sullys lack of performance and libido against Costigans successful relationship with the shrink and her ending up with the main character / hero.

Or maybe you just can read? Most of this observations are readily available from the net, easy to pass off another persons observations on a forum not primarily aimed at movie buffs. I've already caught Ziggy paraphasing Mark Kermode's reviews/observations a few times, although only pulled him up on it once.  ;)

AbbeySider

Quote from: thebigfella on March 20, 2010, 11:48:46 PM
Quote from: AbbeySider on March 20, 2010, 11:36:01 PM

Or maybe you just can read? Most of this observations are readily available from the net, easy to pass off another persons observations on a forum not primarily aimed at movie buffs. I've already caught Ziggy paraphasing Mark Kermode's reviews/observations a few times, although only pulled him up on it once.  ;)

Show me where im paraphrasing about the estate agent making a pass at Sully? I have had this conversation and aired what I thought was happening in the scene to friends so my opinion is my own, whether someone else has said it on a forum before or not. You cant say someone is paraphrasing by them having an opinion, whether or not a single person or thousands have said something along those lines. All I can say is that im not.
(cant believe im even entertaining you with an answer!  :D ;) )

JimStynes

Seen that film Precious tonight in Lisburn cinema, thought it was a good show. Its a bit of a disgusting story and quite sad at times but definatley worth going to see. The big black girl who plays the lead role in the film was brilliant

Tony Baloney

The Departed had a good auld soundtrack too.

Celt_Man

Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 21, 2010, 12:14:16 AM
The Departed had a good auld soundtrack too.

Indeed it has.... Gimme Shelter during the opening really sets the tone

JimStynes

In the Name of the Father on channel 3 here now. One of my fav movies of all time.

Agnes Dipesto

Di Caprio is a great actor. He was excellent in Blood Diamond and the Basketball Diaries is another of my favourites.
Has anyone seen Shutter Island? Hoping to go and see this tomorrow night.