Movie recommendations

Started by corn02, October 23, 2007, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Baloney

Quote from: AbbeySider on March 15, 2010, 10:21:39 PM
I really like Di Caprio, however his biggest critics would say he always plays a character on the edge, which makes him one dimensional.

I dont know do I agree, as I really enjoy everything he is in. Bar perhaps (off the top of my head) Body of Lies.

Ans yes, I liked Titanic and still do.
Its a guilty pleasure I guess  :D  :-[
History may show that Titanic has cast a long shadow across his career. I think he'd have won at least a supporting actor gong by now if he hadn't done Titanic. The fact that he is a "pretty boy" probably counts against him.

Capt Pat

Di Caprio has made some of the best Hollywood movies in the past 10 years, Blood Diamonds, the Aviator, Catch me if you can, Body of Lies, Shutter Island, The Beach, Gangs of New York, The departed, Revelutionary Road(didn't watch that gem). Titanic is not included on that list. He only made 10 movies in the last 10 years the other one being Dons Plum???????

EagleLord

Quote from: Capt Pat on March 16, 2010, 12:39:27 AM
The Beach, Gangs of New York,

2 of my favourite films ever. Thought he was class in both, and titanic too i suppose ::)

Canalman

Saw 2001 A Space Odyssey on dvd today for the first time . A very odd film.

Puckoon

I really like Di Caprio, however his biggest critics would say he always plays a character on the edge, which makes him one dimensional.

I dont know do I agree, as I really enjoy everything he is in. Bar perhaps (off the top of my head) Body of Lies.

I think that is one of his best.

Theres something about him that bothers me no doubt, but I enjoy his movies greatly.

Who can forget that back window slap he makes Kate Winslet make in the titanic.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Puckoon on March 17, 2010, 08:14:19 PM

I think that is one of his best.

Theres something about him that bothers me no doubt, but I enjoy his movies greatly.

Who can forget that back window slap he makes Kate Winslet make in the titanic.
Kate is now free to reprise that scene if you want to give her a call.

Puckoon

I could never make her slap it (the window) with such fervour.

Plus theres not much humidity here so the effect would be the same.

Although as the woman often tells me - that car is in the automobile museum here in Reno...

http://www.automuseum.org/exhibits.html

ONeill

Watched The Blind Side yesterday. Alright just, feelgood yoke and although Bullock has regrettably gone down the standard blonde-sunken-face-stick-thin road, she's hypnotic at times. Surprised Bullock won the gong for it but maybe she was up against little else.

For anyone who has watched it - at the start there's an action sequence where the QB is poleaxed. There's no reference to it again I think but it's the starting point to the film. What happened there? I wasn't paying attention.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Archie Mitchell

Quote from: ONeill on March 18, 2010, 12:50:18 PM
Watched The Blind Side yesterday. Alright just, feelgood yoke and although Bullock has regrettably gone down the standard blonde-sunken-face-stick-thin road, she's hypnotic at times. Surprised Bullock won the gong for it but maybe she was up against little else.

For anyone who has watched it - at the start there's an action sequence where the QB is poleaxed. There's no reference to it again I think but it's the starting point to the film. What happened there? I wasn't paying attention.

She was explaining the importance of the Left Tackle in the team. As due to this incident, they became more important in protecting the QB, as this particular QB got poleaxed and never played again, and the lad in the film turned out to be a Left Tackle.

AbbeySider

I watched Precious last night.

Harrowing, heartbreaking, depressing, did I mention harrowing?

Im kind of depressed since I saw it and I cant say I enjoyed it or could even recommend it as I found it so sad and disturbing.
Some great acting performances and its a film that brings a lot to the table but its not a film I can say I enjoyed

pintsofguinness

Watched the blind side today - decent show, thought it would be a load of soppy shite but not really like that.

Watched, did you hear about the morgans too, surprised with it, thought it would be shite but it was a bit of a laugh.

Downloading Precious now abbey....
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

AbbeySider

Quote from: pintsofguinness on March 20, 2010, 09:07:23 PM
Watched the blind side today - decent show, thought it would be a load of soppy shite but not really like that.

Watched, did you hear about the morgans too, surprised with it, thought it would be shite but it was a bit of a laugh.

Downloading Precious now abbey....

You have been warned! I didnt even sleep well after it...

ardal

Enjoyed the "History Boys". Not sure which shelf to put it on though; probably black comedy

Celt_Man

The Departed starting on Channel 4 now... some show!!
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

AbbeySider

Quote from: Celt_Man on March 20, 2010, 10:39:28 PM
The Departed starting on Channel 4 now... some show!!

Great call cheers!

(strange the way I get excited when these films come on TV, even though I own them on DVD  :D )