Movie recommendations

Started by corn02, October 23, 2007, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capt Pat

I saw Shutter Ireland today, more like Shudder Island. A dark psychological thriller in a great movie setting. It looks really good but it is a bit predictable. Although I think there may be a few loose ends to tie up and I will go back to see it again.

7.5 out of 10.

Puckoon

Watched the boys and girls of county clare last night - not ground breaking by any means but a decent watch if only for seeing the american hippies tits.

tyssam5

Quote from: mouview on March 14, 2010, 11:40:07 PM
Quote from: Celt_Man on March 14, 2010, 11:31:49 PM
Quote from: mouview on March 14, 2010, 10:31:54 PM
He was rubbish; I repeat an extremely limited actor. Mindless action films are the extent of his range. Di Caprio, quite astonishingly, alongside Fermiga were the stars of the very ordinary The Departed.

What a statement!!!  ;D ;D

Why? Was it better than Taxi Driver, The Age of Innocence or Goodfellas? Or even the brilliant mess that was Gangs of New York? A number of written critics have wondered at this movie winning the Oscar when it's so inferior to the aforementioned. That's the Oscars for ya I suppose!

I'm fairly sure those movies weren't released in the same year as 'The Departed' so I'm not sure how them being better would preclude 'The Departed' from getting an Oscar in the year it did?

One of the few films I went to see twice in the cinema, with 2 different birds as well.  ;)
Didn't even have to try that hard to still be shocked when yer man came hurtling off the roof second time round.

leenie

Quote from: AbbeySider on March 15, 2010, 11:46:19 AM
Quote from: mouview on March 14, 2010, 10:55:10 PM
Yes, the Bournes were pretty ropey with implausible plot jumps, especially the first one. Probably the biggest weakness in Saving Private Ryan was why anyone would want to go to so much trouble to save Damon? You cannot even begin to compare him to the likes of (off the top of my head) Day Lewis, Ralph Fiennes, Depp, Buscemi, Turturro, rapidly improving Mark Ruffalo, Sean Penn etc.etc. All these are real character actors who bring depth and range to their roles. Damon is just Damon; the parody of him in Team America is spot on.

Rubbish.

Your saying that Depp is a real character actor with depth and range??
Depp hasnt done anything of note for years. He is an annoying overacter playing the same re-hashed character over and over. He has about as much real acting talent as Jim Carey.
And apart from "I am Sam" Sean Penn hasnt exactly got much depth either. I always felt his Oscar for Mystic River was very lucky as it was a very weak year at the Oscars in 2004.
You critisisms of Damon are too harsh. He was excellent in:
Invictus
The Departed
The Talanted Mr Ripley

and very enjoyable in The Bourne series. End of.

Even the suggestion of using a parody of Team American kind of sums it up!  ;)

have you seen dead man walking? i think that is a very indept preformance he did!
despite what some are saying i don't think many could carry off fear and loathing las vegas as well as depp, even captain jack sparrow for that matter....

imo one of the best actors today is leo di caprio and he has yet to win an oscar... i hope when he does win it will be for an excellence preformance an not be like "oh merly u've been nominated 15 times, heres one..." or "oh sandra, you're the highest paid actor in the world, better justify it so heres an oscar" etc.
I'm trying to decide on a really meaningful message..

pintsofguinness

imo one of the best actors today is leo di caprio and he has yet to win an oscar
Excellent in the aviator
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

JimStynes

I agree about Di Caprio, hes an excellant actor and is in some cracking movies.

leenie

evening from day one in the likes of what's eating gilbert grape and this boys life...

we'll forgive him for titanic...

also i think matt damon is very good in the talented Mr Ripley... he oozes creepiness and obsessiveness but in a subtle way...

ziggysego

Leonardo is a pain in the hole. Never liked him in anything. Sickens me.
Testing Accessibility

Celt_Man

Quote from: ziggysego on March 15, 2010, 09:25:53 PM
Couldn't abide him for a spell a while back but that was all Titantic's fault... But credit where it's due... it has been in some cracking movies in the last couple of years turning in some serious performances
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Celt_Man on March 15, 2010, 09:29:26 PM
Couldn't abide him for a spell a while back but that was all Titantic's fault... But credit where it's due... it has been in some cracking movies in the last couple of years turning in some serious performances
Same here and I blame the Titantic (and you know I watched it recently and it was enjoyable - he's good in it - I think we were just sickened with the hype at the time)
Love catch me if you can and the aviator.  He's excellent in both - same with departed. 
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

ziggysego

Quote from: pintsofguinness on March 15, 2010, 09:32:14 PM
Same here and I blame the Titantic (and you know I watched it recently and it was enjoyable - he's good in it - I think we were just sickened with the hype at the time)
Love catch me if you can and the aviator.  He's excellent in both - same with departed.

Exactly the reason I don't like him. Didn't like Catch Me If You Can either. I'll keep an eye out for Aviator and Departed and see if my opinion has changed.
Testing Accessibility

Celt_Man

Quote from: ziggysego on March 15, 2010, 09:33:45 PM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on March 15, 2010, 09:32:14 PM

Exactly the reason I don't like him. Didn't like Catch Me If You Can either. I'll keep an eye out for Aviator and Departed and see if my opinion has changed.

Didn't particularly enjoy Catch Me If You Can but thought he was good in it nonetheless.... he is excellent in Aviator and Departed especially and first class in Blood Diamond - one of my favourites from the last decade
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

leenie

do you know an actor who i think has gone down hill and into the "bland" category is ewan mcgregor.. i wonder what he is like in I love you phillip morris...

jim carrey does my head in... i don't find him funny at all..

with regards to leo its very hard to forget titanic but i was just thinking of some of his films and i think hes a powerful actor!

leenie

Kate Winslet and her husband Sam Mendes have separated after nearly seven years of marriage.

The split, announced by their legal representatives, was said to be "entirely amicable".

AbbeySider

I really like Di Caprio, however his biggest critics would say he always plays a character on the edge, which makes him one dimensional.

I dont know do I agree, as I really enjoy everything he is in. Bar perhaps (off the top of my head) Body of Lies.

Ans yes, I liked Titanic and still do.
Its a guilty pleasure I guess  :D  :-[