Movie recommendations

Started by corn02, October 23, 2007, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AbbeySider

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on February 11, 2010, 02:40:48 PM
Quote from: Minder on February 11, 2010, 02:08:33 PM
Anyone seen "Up in the air", any use?
yeah, i thought it was quite good, although alittle slow to get going.
clooney is very good in it

Saw it last night and enjoyed it but it wont change the world or anything.
Good acting by Clooney, snappy dialogue and moralistic story with a twist. Its worth a look.

ONeill

Quote from: Galwaybhoy on January 08, 2010, 11:44:28 PM
I watched District 9 the other day.  The first half was good and it had so much potential, I loved the documentary style method of shooting the early parts of the film.  The way it showed how the aliens were treated and how they lived in the slums, some of them had integrated with the humans while some were hiding weapons and were fighting back against the humans for the way they were being treated.  I thought the storyline was very deep and I loved that, the fact it was set in South Africa there were similarities to the apartheid history of the country as some could say the aliens were oppressed and at times I really didn't know whos side I was on, The humans or the aliens.

But then the second half of the film was a complete letdown, with a very annoying lead and it turned into a film that was basically similar to any hollywood action movie.  It was a shame for a film that had so much potential.

Agree with this. The first half was very enjoyable and engrossing. Then it became Hollywood SFX which was a great shame as the lead role grew on you.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Capt Pat

I saw the wolfman tonight, decent action movie, big budget Hollywood effort. They didn't develop the characters enough or even at all in some cases meaning you don't care enough about the chracters or the love story or whatever. Very gory and fast moving.

7 out of 10.

maddog

Saw Invictus the other day. Really enjoyed it. I like the detail they put into the match scenes but couldn't work out why they couldn't get the Andrew Maertens double to hit each kick off more than about 3 yards. Looked really silly when they had obviously put much research into the remainder of the game to tell it as it developed.

pintsofguinness

watched a few over the weekend
up in the air - chick flick
couples retreat - chick flick
State of play, got bored half way through. 

Is it me getting harder to please or has there been very few decent films over the last 12 months!
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

trileacman

Quote from: maddog on February 12, 2010, 10:43:44 AM
Saw Invictus the other day. Really enjoyed it. I like the detail they put into the match scenes but couldn't work out why they couldn't get the Andrew Maertens double to hit each kick off more than about 3 yards. Looked really silly when they had obviously put much research into the remainder of the game to tell it as it developed.
Saw it too. Have to say I was quite dissapointed. I would have prefered a Mandela biopic than what it was.
These stories of reconciliation between two warring factions really get my goat though. Its not that easy and NI has been the setting for far too many of them.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: pintsofguinness on February 14, 2010, 12:49:30 PM

Is it me getting harder to please or has there been very few decent films over the last 12 months!

Worst post of the year, how is up in the air a chick flick,  State of play was excellent, couples retreat is a comedy but not a good one I will admit.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

pintsofguinness

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on February 14, 2010, 03:23:27 PM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on February 14, 2010, 12:49:30 PM

Worst post of the year, how is up in the air a chick flick,  State of play was excellent, couples retreat is a comedy but not a good one I will admit.
It's a chick flick because women will probably like it!
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Dinny Breen

Of course Up in the Air is a chick flick, strong female characters, good looking lead man and the male characters are all protrayed as emotionally damaged. It's ok Sligonian to like chick flicks nobody's questioning your sexuality unless you are questioning it yourself.

State of Play is an ok movie, could have been better.
#newbridgeornowhere

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: Dinny Breen on February 14, 2010, 04:24:16 PM
Of course Up in the Air is a chick flick, strong female characters, good looking lead man and the male characters are all protrayed as emotionally damaged. It's ok Sligonian to like chick flicks nobody's questioning your sexuality unless you are questioning it yourself.

:D
I just thought it was a meaning of life kinda movie showcasing a male leading a robot lifestyle (Rat race) and finds a way out and it being a woman to get him to realise whats important. I can kinda indenitfy with that.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Tony Baloney

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on February 14, 2010, 06:26:43 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on February 14, 2010, 04:24:16 PM

:D
I just thought it was a meaning of life kinda movie showcasing a male leading a robot lifestyle (Rat race) and finds a way out and it being a woman to get him to realise whats important. I can kinda indenitfy with that.
Which part? Making a man realise what's important or living the robot life? I thought that sort of carryon was frowne upon in the Middle East!

The Worker

I seen that valenites day today, good show

DownFanatic

Green Street 2: Stand Your Ground was on Sky Premiere last night. Worst film I have ever seen.

HULK HOGAN

DownFanatic

Quote from: HULK HOGAN on February 14, 2010, 10:50:12 PM
Y R U RECOMENDING IT THEN

I am making a recommendation to posters not to watch it.