Movie recommendations

Started by corn02, October 23, 2007, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AFS

Quote from: Marty2002 on February 05, 2010, 11:03:38 PM
A good alternative to that twilight tripe is Let the Right One, its swedish with subs, a really made well movie.

Heard about this one, think Jonathon Ross mentioned it as one of his favourite films of last year. Must try to download it.

Celt_Man

Quote from: AFS on February 06, 2010, 01:50:35 PM
Quote from: Marty2002 on February 05, 2010, 11:03:38 PM
A good alternative to that twilight tripe is Let the Right One, its swedish with subs, a really made well movie.

Heard about this one, think Jonathon Ross mentioned it as one of his favourite films of last year. Must try to download it.

Think RTE.ie named it as their no. 1 movie of last year - one I'll have to make it my business to watch
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

pintsofguinness

Seen invictus there this evening, run of the mill feel good sports film but enjoyable.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

longrunsthefox

This has probably been well discussed, but watched Bruno on DVD the other night. Jees! it was outragous but to be honest I was in tears laughing. Hilarious. 

ONeill

Feck me. Just finished watching The Road there. I normally love those bleak and depressing films but Jaysus that gave me with an awful feeling in the gut throughout. Engrossing and glad I watched it but I never want to see it again.

I haven't read the book and I know it's worse. I never want to read it.

I won't sleep. The wife looks hungry.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Dinny Breen

Tell me about it, still waking up in cold sweats.
#newbridgeornowhere

mylestheslasher

Quote from: ONeill on February 09, 2010, 10:08:36 PM
Feck me. Just finished watching The Road there. I normally love those bleak and depressing films but Jaysus that gave me with an awful feeling in the gut throughout. Engrossing and glad I watched it but I never want to see it again.

I read the book and I can tell you it is amazing but there is no way I want to watch that film, the sadness of it is overwhelming.

Tony Baloney

You know what that means Shane ;)

ONeill

Tis ok - chucked her up a ham shank.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

blewuporstuffed

exactly how i felt too, stunning film, but not sure i could watch it again. read the book and felt the exaxt same. One of the few truly moving films i have seen
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

The Iceman

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on February 10, 2010, 12:03:41 AM

exactly how i felt too, stunning film, but not sure i could watch it again. read the book and felt the exaxt same. One of the few truly moving films i have seen

havent seen the film but loved the book.  although is was very sad and moving there was a real hope and innocence from the boy that warmed the heart too
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Minder

Anyone seen "Up in the air", any use?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Minder on February 11, 2010, 02:08:33 PM
Anyone seen "Up in the air", any use?
yeah, i thought it was quite good, although alittle slow to get going.
clooney is very good in it
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Billys Boots

For anyone interested in the Millenium trilogy by Steig Larsson, all three books have been filmed in (their native) Swedish in the last year - all have had a cinema release and the first two are out on DVD.

I watched 'The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo' last weekend, and it was good.  For the record, I enjoyed the books, though they were a bit one-dimensional from a characterisation perspective.  And the fact that the 'hero' was a journalist stuck in the craw quite a bit.  Lisbet Salander (the 'Girl') is a very interesting focal point however, both in the books and the movie.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

mc_grens

Quote from: Billys Boots on February 11, 2010, 02:52:32 PM
For anyone interested in the Millenium trilogy by Steig Larsson, all three books have been filmed in (their native) Swedish in the last year - all have had a cinema release and the first two are out on DVD.

I watched 'The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo' last weekend, and it was good.  For the record, I enjoyed the books, though they were a bit one-dimensional from a characterisation perspective.  And the fact that the 'hero' was a journalist stuck in the craw quite a bit.  Lisbet Salander (the 'Girl') is a very interesting focal point however, both in the books and the movie.

the books are certainly great page turners, but could end up a bit Dan Brownish in fil form as there isn't quite enough action in them.