Movie recommendations

Started by corn02, October 23, 2007, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AFS

Quote from: ballinaman on February 02, 2010, 07:07:58 PM
If Avatar wins best picture at the Oscars it'll be a joke. Really enjoyed the movie but it was more of a spectacle than a great movie. The plot was fairly sh1te, as was the dialogue. Not sure if a movie with no acting nominations deserves best picture to be honest.

Agree. Avatar was more like a big three hour long advert for this new wave of 3D stuff than a real movie.

screenexile

Watched Brothers tonight. Good storyline and some great acting but extremely dark. If you're sad or feeling down I wouldn't watch it as it could drag you even further!

I would give it 8/10.

tbrick18

Quote from: Schkite on February 01, 2010, 11:10:02 PM
Quote from: ziggysego on February 01, 2010, 09:24:52 PM
Watched Epic Movie this evening. Christ it was bad. I used to like spoof movies. Are they getting worst, or am I just getting older?

It's not just you, they're absolutely shite nowadays.

I agree. I got the Naked Gun trilogy at xmas and I still laughed my ass off. Nothing quite as good these days when it comes to these spoofs. Hot shots was good as well but part deux was a bit crap.

playwiththewind1st

Quote from: sandwiches_in_the_boot on February 01, 2010, 02:30:38 PM
If you like your gangster films and don't mind subtitles check out 'A Prophet', very good prison based French film that's been praised from pillar to post lately. Also another French one: 'Mesrine: Parts 1 and 2. Part 1 is called 'Killer instinct' and part 2 is called 'Public Enemy Number 1'.

There's a Mexican film 'Sin Nombre' that I have, but haven't watched it yet, it's meant to be very good as well.

Went to see "A Prophet" a week or 2 ago - good enough, too many sidelines at 1 stage - I lost track of how many other gangs he was taking on, but have to say that the 2 Mesrine films were far better.

"Sexy Beast" was on Film 4 the other night, missed it & hope it's repeated.

I saw "The Godfather Part 1" at the flicks a few weeks ago. But, Godfather Part 1 is on Film 4 this Friday night & Godfather Part 2 on Saturday night [repeated next Weds/Thurs, I think] - that's my weekend's viewing sorted [even though Mrs Playwiththewind1st asked "did you not see it a few weeks ago"?]. They must rank among the greatest films ever made, imho.

ziggysego

Quote from: tbrick18 on February 03, 2010, 12:38:42 PM
Quote from: Schkite on February 01, 2010, 11:10:02 PM
Quote from: ziggysego on February 01, 2010, 09:24:52 PM
Watched Epic Movie this evening. Christ it was bad. I used to like spoof movies. Are they getting worst, or am I just getting older?

It's not just you, they're absolutely shite nowadays.

I agree. I got the Naked Gun trilogy at xmas and I still laughed my ass off. Nothing quite as good these days when it comes to these spoofs. Hot shots was good as well but part deux was a bit crap.

I was just thinking the same myself in bed last. My mind tends to drift in bed...

My top 3 spoofs are

1. Airplane
2. Top Secret!
3. Naked Gun
Testing Accessibility

Bogball XV

Quote from: ziggysego on February 02, 2010, 09:22:35 PM
If Avatar wins best picture at the Oscars it'll be a joke. Really enjoyed the movie but it was more of a spectacle than a great movie. The plot was fairly sh1te, as was the dialogue. Not sure if a movie with no acting nominations deserves best picture to be honest. The Hurt Locker or The Blind Side are my two shouts for a deserving winner.

I thought Avatar was fantastic, but I agree, not Oscar fantastic. I'd like to see Christoph Waltz win the Best Supporting Actor award for Inglorious Basterds.
Aye, wouldn't be in the same league as Titanic ;D ;D

ONeill

Can't recommend The Hurt Locker any higher. Finally watched it tonight. Some great nail-biting scenes.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

ziggysego

Quote from: Bogball XV on February 03, 2010, 03:30:05 PM
Quote from: ziggysego on February 02, 2010, 09:22:35 PM
If Avatar wins best picture at the Oscars it'll be a joke. Really enjoyed the movie but it was more of a spectacle than a great movie. The plot was fairly sh1te, as was the dialogue. Not sure if a movie with no acting nominations deserves best picture to be honest. The Hurt Locker or The Blind Side are my two shouts for a deserving winner.

I thought Avatar was fantastic, but I agree, not Oscar fantastic. I'd like to see Christoph Waltz win the Best Supporting Actor award for Inglorious Basterds.
Aye, wouldn't be in the same league as Titanic ;D ;D

It'll get the Oscars. As BBC film critic Mark Kermode says, in an period when cinema attendances is down, Avatar is breaking all records. So they'll give it to Avatar for that reason only.

Testing Accessibility

Tony Baloney

Quote from: ONeill on February 04, 2010, 10:52:44 PM
Can't recommend The Hurt Locker any higher. Finally watched it tonight. Some great nail-biting scenes.
Same. Best I've seen in the past year at least. If there is any justice Kathryn Bigelow will the Oscar for direction. Yer man Brenner in the lead role will be expecting some bigger
movies off the back of his performance.

ONeill

Just finished A Serious Man - hit and miss. I love that Coen style but not their best work. Sort of film that's worth a second look to make sense of it, even though some will never make any sense.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Marty2002

A good alternative to that twilight tripe is Let the Right One, its swedish with subs, a really made well movie.

The Worker

just watched true romance, great show

clarshack

watching boogie nights on itv4 - still a classic!

Agnes Dipesto

Quote from: The Worker on February 05, 2010, 11:08:53 PM

True Romance is very good.

Invictus looks like a good show, will have to go and see it and seems to be getting good enough reviews.

ballinaman

Quote from: Agnes Dipesto on February 06, 2010, 12:29:02 AM
Quote from: The Worker on February 05, 2010, 11:08:53 PM

True Romance is very good.

Invictus looks like a good show, will have to go and see it and seems to be getting good enough reviews.
It's 2 and a bit hours of Hollywood schmaltz by Eastwood doing everything he could to get an Oscar! The Rugby scenes are embarrassing too. Read the book, so much better than the movie.

The Blind Side - Don't be put off by the fact that Sandra Bullock is in it, not a chick flick at all. Amazing true story and a very good movie.