Movie recommendations

Started by corn02, October 23, 2007, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pintsofguinness

Quote from: longrunsthefox on December 28, 2009, 06:51:12 PM
I see Brokeback Mountain is on tonight. Is it worth watching? I know it is about two gay boys and the Fox is 110% hetro with not a feminine chromosome whatsoever. What you would call a man's man in the traditional back slapping, spitting and chewing tabacco sense, but I am fairly open minded on these things... about 6 out of 10 on the homophobe scale which is very tolerant around these parts. So, is it a good movie?
I seen it in the cinema when it came out, it was interesting to see how they addressed the issue but really it's just another boring oul love story only with men.  No men jumped out from the screen to try and kiss me.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

AFS

Saw Avatar today. Pretty average I thought. While there's no denying the visuals are impressive, the story itself was bland and predictable, and some of the dialogue was cringeworthy. Wouldn't advise bringing kids to it, the ones around me were bored out of their skulls half way through and spent the rest of the movie playing with Coke bottles and running to the toilet.

Bogball XV

Quote from: Celt_Man on December 29, 2009, 06:48:47 PM
Quote from: Bogball XV on December 28, 2009, 11:12:13 PM

it was better than i thought it would be, verdict - worth watching.

What's the story with that day of the triffids, any good?  will it be repeated shortly?

Ahh I thought it was decent enough, keep me entertained for the 90 mins and I'll watch the concluding part tonight...   I reckon it'll be available on BBC iPlayer
can we get iplayer down here in the south?  think i remember being told it wasn't available on other occasions.

Celt_Man

Quote from: Bogball XV on December 29, 2009, 08:59:21 PM
Quote from: Celt_Man on December 29, 2009, 06:48:47 PM
Quote from: Bogball XV on December 28, 2009, 11:12:13 PM

it was better than i thought it would be, verdict - worth watching.

What's the story with that day of the triffids, any good?  will it be repeated shortly?

Ahh I thought it was decent enough, keep me entertained for the 90 mins and I'll watch the concluding part tonight...   I reckon it'll be available on BBC iPlayer
can we get iplayer down here in the south?  think i remember being told it wasn't available on other occasions.

Nope  >:(  Just after trying and it's just available in the UK
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

Shazam

Films I have seen recently:

Zombieland - really enjoyed it. Woody Harrelson great as usual, brilliant camoe from Sir Bill and Emma Stone is a roide.

The Assassination Of Jesse James - Normally I don't like Brad Pitt but this was good, if a bit slow.

Law Abiding Citizen - Decent enough thriller, bit far fetched at times and could have been a lot better in my book if the ending was different.

Downfall - Great show, the fella who plays Hitler was brilliant.
Shazam Bang

Bogball XV

Quote from: hardstation on December 30, 2009, 01:29:10 AM
Ahhh, sorry yis are missing out.
aye, but we get tv3, which isn't available everywhere in the north - more than adequate compensation imo :'(

ziggysego

I get TV3 up here and those who can't, can just watch UTV.
Testing Accessibility

gerry

watching The Butcher Boy on tg4 never saw it before, hope it turns out to be a good film.
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

tbrick18

Quote from: gerry on December 30, 2009, 10:55:35 PM
watching The Butcher Boy on tg4 never saw it before, hope it turns out to be a good film.

I thought this was a class show....havent seen it in years mind you so not sure what I'd think of it now, but I thought it was very good the first time I saw it.

I saw The Hangover the other night...average enough IMO.
I also saw The Condemned, with Stone Cold Steve Austin....pure pish.

Has this been the worst Christmas ever for tv movies? There's hardly been one worth watching.

Minder

Gonna get a DVD out tonight, can't be arsed reading through the last few pages. Any recommendations?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

blewuporstuffed

went to see sherlock holmes last night & quite enjoyed it.
robert downey jr & jude law are very good in it and you can see little guy richie touches all over it.
7.5/10
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Minder

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on December 31, 2009, 01:10:31 PM
robert downey jr & jude law are very good in it and you can see little guy richie touches all over it.
7.5/10

I thought Guy Richie was a big lad.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Tony Baloney

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on December 31, 2009, 01:10:31 PM
7.5/10
That's a shame.

Celt_Man

Quote from: tbrick18 on December 31, 2009, 09:21:40 AM
Quote from: gerry on December 30, 2009, 10:55:35 PM

I thought this was a class show....havent seen it in years mind you so not sure what I'd think of it now, but I thought it was very good the first time I saw it.

I saw The Hangover the other night...average enough IMO.
I also saw The Condemned, with Stone Cold Steve Austin....pure pish.

Has this been the worst Christmas ever for tv movies? There's hardly been one worth watching.

Aye saw the Hangover in the last week, very funny some great quotes and scenes in it.

Inglorious Basterds was very good but you had to hang in there, slow moving in parts...  Will enjoy it a lot more the second time around

Movies on TV at Christmas never have the same appeal as when you were younger - the older you get the more you see, so very few of the movies you will be seeing for the first time....

But the best to watch on tv are the golden oldies, like Where Eagles Dare yesterday, a few John Wayne classic... still waiting on Von Ryan's Express to come on though  :-\
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

Shazam

Quote from: Minder on December 31, 2009, 09:41:29 AM
Gonna get a DVD out tonight, can't be arsed reading through the last few pages. Any recommendations?

Downfall - The story of Hitlers last few days

OR

Zombieland - f**k that actually get Shaun Of The Dead instead
Shazam Bang