Movie recommendations

Started by corn02, October 23, 2007, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bingobus

Must keep an eye out fo Bad Santa on the tv schedules, seems worth watching if it made O'Neill laugh. The only other thing that made him laugh this year was Henrys handball  ;)

Can't believe some are knocking The Hangover, really enjoyed it.

supersarsfields

I saw bad santa advertised last night. I've a funny feeling it said Sunday nite. T'is definitely worth the watching.

screenexile

Quote from: nrico2006 on December 09, 2009, 09:45:51 AM
QuoteWhen is Elf on?? Best Christmas film ever made bar none!!!

"I just like to smile smiling's my favourite!"

You are not serious?  Its good but nowhere near the top Christmas movie.  Alot of people go over the top regarding anything Will Ferrell is in - the like of Anchorman or Old School were good enough films but not classics yet people seem to put them on a pedestal as some noughties classic.  Home Alone is hard to beat at Christmas, my favourite film for that time of the year.

The Hangover was very disappointing.  Hugely overrated.

Ah now Elf is completely different from Anchorman or Old School and even though I do like both those I wouldn't rate Elf as the same.

As a comedy kids film I think it's great with some really great moments and Ferrell playing the innocent elf to a T. The look on his face all the time is one of amazement at everything and how he keeps it up for the whole time I do not know. Also I'm a big Zooey Deschanel fan and think she's deadly which also adds to the film.

Home Alone of course is a great Christmas film and there are a few about like Miracle on 34th St and Santa Claus (with Dudley Moore), but I just like Elf most out of them all. I haven't seen Bad Santa though and I look forward to catching it this year!

nrico2006

I actually love watching 'I'll be Home for Christmas' when its on.  Good show with a good vibe.  I love the Christmas movies that remind me of when I was younger, when watching them now you sorta can forget any problems etc you are having and just let the nostalgia kick in.  The like of Home Alone, Santa Claus the Movie etc hit the spot.   
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Canalman

There can't be many better experiences imo than sitting in during the Christmas and watching films like Zulu, Where Eagles Dare, Guns of Navarone, Kelly's Heroes  etc. Oldie but Goldies.

aontroim

Quote from: supersarsfields on December 09, 2009, 12:25:10 PM
I saw bad santa advertised last night. I've a funny feeling it said Sunday nite. T'is definitely worth the watching.

Monday night on Five - 9pm

Celt_Man

Quote from: Canalman on December 09, 2009, 02:03:27 PM
There can't be many better experiences imo than sitting in during the Christmas and watching films like Zulu, Where Eagles Dare, Guns of Navarone, Kelly's Heroes  etc. Oldie but Goldies.

Couldn't have put it better myself... those kind of movies are the first ones I look for when checking out tv over the holidays!! top quality
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

screenexile

Watched 'The Box' last night. . . one word to describe it!

KET!

AbbeySider

I watched Paranormal Acitivity last night.

Woeful

How anybody found it scary is unbelievable. Dont believe the hype and save your money by staying well away from this one.

What started out as a great and novel idea was laughable towards the end. So disappointed with it.

AbbeySider

Watched 28 weeks later the night before last.

Its not half bad in the Zombie (sort of) genre.

I think it surpasses 28 days later IMO...

ballinaman

Quote from: AbbeySider on December 10, 2009, 03:52:23 PM
I watched Paranormal Acitivity last night.

Woeful

How anybody found it scary is unbelievable. Dont believe the hype and save your money by staying well away from this one.

What started out as a great and novel idea was laughable towards the end. So disappointed with it.
Didn't think it was woeful now,tad harsh! Something a bit different at least. Law Abiding Citizen...some seriously laugh out loud moments(mobile phone part for example) which i don't think were intended by the director. So many holes in the plot it was crazy but some laugh of a movie, worth a look, brainless but enjoyable.

Capt Pat

Quote from: screenexile on December 10, 2009, 02:08:58 PM

KET!

Could we have a real word to describe it. I am guessing you thought it was bad.

Capt Pat

Quote from: Canalman on December 09, 2009, 10:55:05 AM
Couldn't agree more ....... Bad Santa is imo one of the best/funniest films I have ever seen. The car chase scene towards the end is class.

"Did you get dropped on your head as a baby"...........very funny part of the movie

screenexile

Quote from: Capt Pat on December 10, 2009, 05:00:32 PM
Quote from: screenexile on December 10, 2009, 02:08:58 PM

KET!

Could we have a real word to describe it. I am guessing you thought it was bad.

Sorry but I was pretty outraged by it, as bad a film as I've ever seen. I'll explain as much as I can without ruining it I guess.

The premise was pretty good which drew me into the film from the trailer. You get a box with a button on it and if you press the button you get a million dollars but someone who you don't know dies. . . Pretty intriguing!

Anyway it all unfolds but starts getting into Governement experiments and Aliens running the show and brainwashing people and just ends up a real mess! The film then gets back to the main storyline and what everyone knew was going to happen from the first half an hour.

Sketchy plot with too many questions throughout and when they do finally get round to answering them it's not believable at all. A lot of dramatic acting to convey important moments but the storyline just threw me off course too much.

So to sum it up in one word... KET  :D :D :D

nrico2006

QuoteWatched 28 weeks later the night before last.

Its not half bad in the Zombie (sort of) genre.

I think it surpasses 28 days later IMO...

28 Weeks Later was not a patch on 28 Days Later.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'