Movie recommendations

Started by corn02, October 23, 2007, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: nrico2006 on November 23, 2009, 09:45:57 AM
I have Terminator Salvation at the house, watching it tonight - any good?  Never got into Star Trek either but a friend who is freakish about it said the new one is brilliant and takes it from the start so you need not know anything about it previously.

Terminator Salvation was excellent imo, it has the grimness of the war and isolation down to a tee. 9/10.

On Star Trek, i went to see with a mate who hates spaceship movies as he calls them but he like the trailer so he said hed tag along. I was blown away and he thought it was brilliant. Im a sci fi geek anyway, more a star wars man, but this Star Trek when it came out on dvd I watched 8 times in 3 weeks. Its definitly the best Star Trek, with First contact the only one close in recent yrs. Up there with the critically acclaimed old ones. Your mate is right, its basically how Kirk and Spock started out from birth to there early yrs. 10/10.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Galwaybhoy

I have Terminator Salvation at the house, watching it tonight - any good?  Never got into Star Trek either but a friend who is freakish about it said the new one is brilliant and takes it from the start so you need not know anything about it previously.

Absolutely crap.  Terrible film, way behind the first two and a lot worse than the third as well.  Bits of it would make you cringe, pure Hollywood rubbish.  So much wrong with this film but I wont ruin it for you.  Oh and this is coming from a massive Terminator fan, I thought I couldn't hate any Terminator film no matter how bad it was...I was wrong.

5 Sams

Hearing good reports about A Serious Man the new Coen Bros movie...anyone seen it yet?
The Aristocrat Years

pintsofguinness

Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

ziggysego

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on November 23, 2009, 09:56:15 AM

Terminator Salvation was excellent imo, it has the grimness of the war and isolation down to a tee. 9/10.

On Star Trek, i went to see with a mate who hates spaceship movies as he calls them but he like the trailer so he said hed tag along. I was blown away and he thought it was brilliant. Im a sci fi geek anyway, more a star wars man, but this Star Trek when it came out on dvd I watched 8 times in 3 weeks. Its definitly the best Star Trek, with First contact the only one close in recent yrs. Up there with the critically acclaimed old ones. Your mate is right, its basically how Kirk and Spock started out from birth to there early yrs. 10/10.

I didn't like Star Trek. Visually I thought it was up there with the best SE I've seen, but the story itself was stupid, boring and predictable.

The only satisification I took away from it was that hit the re-boot button and all 'knowledge' Trekkies had collected regarding the series and films is now void. :)
Testing Accessibility

ballinaman

New Moon....dragged to see it by the GF was friday. I would go as far as saying i'd rather go blind than see that movie again. Nothing happens and yer one isn't even that deadly. Shocking. If there wasn't books, i'd say it would be one of the worst movies of all time, just getting carried along by the books.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Alco Pup on November 20, 2009, 11:05:36 AM
Any one seen / heard anything about Law abiding citizen??

From trailers it looks pretty good...
Seen it at the weekend, it's alright, enjoyable.  I wouldnt rush out to watch it but you could do worse. 

ballinaman

Quote from: 5 Sams on November 23, 2009, 10:26:41 AM
Hearing good reports about A Serious Man the new Coen Bros movie...anyone seen it yet?

Yep, I saw it on Monday. Not they're best work, funny in parts...typical Coen brothers though, bit mad and they starting to get up their own arses with the ambiguous ending yet again, like they got plaudits for it a few times but it's starting to become tiresome. 6/10.

amallon

Sorry for going off topic but can anyone recommend a good online movie rental service where you get the DVD's in the post and send them back when you are ready.
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: amallon on December 02, 2009, 12:15:58 PM
Sorry for going off topic but can anyone recommend a good online movie rental service where you get the DVD's in the post and send them back when you are ready.
Lovefilm  - been using them for years.  Used blockbuster for a good while too, equally as good.

Only thing about any of those services if you create rental lists you won't always get the titles on the top of your list.

Canalman

Saw bits of an Israeli flick called Beaufort on BBC4 some weeks ago about Israeli soldiers in Lebanon. Great flick(from what I seen of it) and watching out for it again so I can see it all.

Brilliant scene in it involving bomb disposal.

leenie

watch seven pounds last night and thought it was brilliant....

real conscience film....

as for using the jellyfish.... man i felt a tear in my eye!
I'm trying to decide on a really meaningful message..

WhoAreYaWhoAreYa!

DO NOT ever watch a film called 'Donkey punch'...sounded good to us, violence and graphic sex scenes it said ont back..we thought this will be worth a watch..my arse!

Celt_Man

Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi on now on ITV 1....

Some show!!!
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

playwiththewind1st

Quote from: 5 Sams on November 23, 2009, 10:26:41 AM

anybody know when this is due in belfast? moviehouse had it advertised as opening on novmber 20, then seemed to pull the plugs for some reason.