Movie recommendations

Started by corn02, October 23, 2007, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: leenie on November 17, 2009, 11:56:30 PM
Quote from: ziggysego on June 12, 2009, 12:13:40 AM
Quote from: hardstation on June 12, 2009, 12:08:04 AM
Quote from: ziggysego on June 12, 2009, 12:00:03 AM
Watched Role Models tonight in the house. Not a bad wee film. Not the film I was expecting, but there was a few good wee laughs in it :)
The wee lad is worth about two laughs. Once you past the fact that a wee lad is cursing for the sake of cursing, there is very little humour in this film.
Crap, really.

You said you didn't like Zach and Miri, so your taste isn't up to much.

watched zach and miri last nite and thought it was dung!

the premise for the film is good and expected better but since every other word was a curse and very few one liners, i was very disappointed!

I enjoyed it
You'll Never Walk Alone.

leenie

I'm trying to decide on a really meaningful message..

haranguerer

Quote from: pintsofguinness on November 19, 2009, 08:27:02 PM
anyone see this 2012? might go and see it at weekend if it's any good

Was thinking about it myself, but all the reviews I've heard say its atrocious

stew

Quote from: pintsofguinness on November 19, 2009, 08:27:02 PM
anyone see this 2012? might go and see it at weekend if it's any good

I thought it was ket.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Arthur_Friend

I have seen 2012 and can confirm that it is one of the worst films I have ever watched. Terrible and the special effects/last minute escapes are just tiresome.

pintsofguinness

I love all those disaster films though...independence day, the day after tomorrow etc etc
hmmm

What's so terrible about it arthur?  It's at 6.5 on imdb.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

AFS

Quote from: pintsofguinness on November 19, 2009, 09:21:44 PM
I love all those disaster films though...independence day, the day after tomorrow etc etc
hmmm

Only 37% on rotten tomatoes though, its generally more reliable. Got some pretty damning reviews.

On another note, can't wait to see The Road. Brilliant book and seems to have been well cast with Viggo Mortensen.

Galwaybhoy

Quote from: pintsofguinness on November 19, 2009, 09:21:44 PM
hmmm

Is imdb that reliable though when it comes to ratings?  Keep in mind they have The Dark Knight in the top 10 films of all time.  ::) ???

I'm not a big fan of disaster films, thought the day after tomorrow was terrible.  Will still probably go and see this though.

AbbeySider

Quote from: Arthur_Friend on November 19, 2009, 09:20:35 PM
I have seen 2012 and can confirm that it is one of the worst films I have ever watched. Terrible and the special effects/last minute escapes are just tiresome.

Gimmi a break.

I saw 2012 and its like this...
If you are willing to leave your brain at the door and you enjoy excellent (although far fetched) special effects and eye candy then you wont be disappointed.
If you like your action films like Independence Day and the Transformers series then this film is for you.

Its fun, but dont take it seriously as its more of a piss take of disaster films.
Visually its ground-breaking and a good cinematic experience in that way only; as the plot is so hysterically far-fetched it actually pokes fun at itself.

I have also seen The Men Who Stare At Goats this week.
Pure shite, avoid it like the plague.

AbbeySider

Quote from: leenie on November 17, 2009, 11:56:30 PM
watched zach and miri last nite and thought it was dung!

the premise for the film is good and expected better but since every other word was a curse and very few one liners, i was very disappointed!

She's a Lady. Whoa whoa whoa, She's a Lady.

Man Marker

I saw 2012 last weekend and its likeAbbeysider said, leave your brian at the door and just enjoy the special effects, they are brilliant. The plots nuts, so don't take it seriously, but again the special effects are what this movie is about.

screenexile

Quote from: AbbeySider on November 19, 2009, 11:07:50 PM
Quote from: Arthur_Friend on November 19, 2009, 09:20:35 PM

Gimmi a break.

I saw 2012 and its like this...
If you are willing to leave your brain at the door and you enjoy excellent (although far fetched) special effects and eye candy then you wont be disappointed.
If you like your action films like Independence Day and the Transformers series then this film is for you.

Its fun, but dont take it seriously as its more of a piss take of disaster films.
Visually its ground-breaking and a good cinematic experience in that way only; as the plot is so hysterically far-fetched it actually pokes fun at itself.

I have also seen The Men Who Stare At Goats this week.
Pure shite, avoid it like the plague.

Saw it last night and was very wary of it as my brother said it was possibly the worst film he'd ever seen.

I actually thought it was quite funny. Not brilliant or anything and probably not to everyone's taste but it was dark and very quirky and I thought Clooney's performance was exceptional. He has that loveable weirdo quality which he has displayed so well before in films like O Brother Where Art Thou and Leatherheads. It's actually the same kind of humour as those 2 films so if you enjoyed them you will enjoy this.

ballinaman

Harry Brown......Michael Cane will get an oscar.

AbbeySider

Quote from: screenexile on November 20, 2009, 10:27:12 AM
...The Men Who Stare at Goats...

Saw it last night and was very wary of it as my brother said it was possibly the worst film he'd ever seen.

I actually thought it was quite funny. Not brilliant or anything and probably not to everyone's taste but it was dark and very quirky and I thought Clooney's performance was exceptional. He has that loveable weirdo quality which he has displayed so well before in films like O Brother Where Art Thou and Leatherheads. It's actually the same kind of humour as those 2 films so if you enjoyed them you will enjoy this.

I dont know could you compare it to Oh Brother Where Art Thou but The Men Who Stare at Goats certainly tried its hardest to look and feel like Oh Brother but fails miserably.

Its a largely pointless film with very few laughs. I didnt think it a dark comedy, as it was laught hearted and more pointing fun at hippies and conspiratory theories.

Clooney was Ok, not at his best but at least he was Ok. Spacey was very annoying and I cant understand how he took the role.
Ewan McGregor had an American accent for a whole 5 minutes at the start and then proceeded to use a Scottish accent for the rest of the film. Lazy stuff by him and the director.

Alco Pup

Any one seen / heard anything about Law abiding citizen??

From trailers it looks pretty good...