Movie recommendations

Started by corn02, October 23, 2007, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Look-Up!

Movies are subjective, same way beauty is in the eye of the beholder. You don't have to be a begrudger to not find the film to your taste. Personally I thought it was shite, touch of paddywhackery crap about it but in a more subtle way than say Darby O'Gill. That too also won a Golden Globe.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Look-Up! on January 11, 2023, 03:29:51 PM
Movies are subjective, same way beauty is in the eye of the beholder. You don't have to be a begrudger to not find the film to your taste. Personally I thought it was shite, touch of paddywhackery crap about it but in a more subtle way than say Darby O'Gill. That too also won a Golden Globe.

No, I'm talking about the bregrdging Irish cnuts who ain't fussed on Irish success, regardless of what ya think personally..

The threads are littered with people begrudging Irish sports stars or people that do well

Not everyone from Ireland drinks Guinness or speaks Irish or live in a white pebbledash cottage on a cold wet island off the shores on Connemara, but hey its winning awards

I think we hate people thinking we are backwards, and while I haven't seen it and its bound to be as slow f**k (from what Ive read on here by the real experts) its obviously ticking the right boxes
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Look-Up!

So you haven't watched it. Maybe watch it so before commenting on others. I haven't seen anyone on here begrudging the success of the film, just people a bit perplexed by the hype after watching it. I will admit the acting is very good, the only thing that stops you switching off. The story itself is nonsense, there'd be more depth in an episode of Fair City.

CK_Redhand

When considering how good a movie is, we can look at it from 2 viewpoints.
How entertaining is it?
How much should we value it's artistic merit?

Think of these as a graph with x,y axes.
High entertainment, high art = Shawshank Redemption
High entertainment, low art = Con Air
Low entertainment, high art = The Seventh Seal
Low entertainment, low art = Freddy Got Fingered

Where any movie can be rated on a sliding scale for both. I just picked random examples off the top of my head.

I think the Oscars and other awards tend to favour the high art, low entertainment movies. Yes they are good.  They are thought provoking, well acted, beautifully shot, original, etc. But you will not want to watch these types of movies again, or at least not on a regular basis. There is also an element of snobbery where critics favour the artistic over the entertainment value.

So a movie can be "good" and yet not rewatchable.  I think Banshees of Inisherin falls into that category.

Look-Up!

All very true Redhand. The acting and the scenery are good and "arty" but you can't help but feel a bit cheated (for want of a better word) after watching.

An analogy I'd use are those arseholes that put up those 5 minute videos on the internet with the caption "epic, must watch till end" or similar. What follows are 5 minutes of monotonous shite and then the video ends with nothing. 5 minutes of your life you'll never get back. That's what the "artistic element" of this film is, a caption that promises it'll be worth it if you stick to the end. Then nothing. 2 hrs of your life you'll never get back.

Look-Up!

Watched The Wizard of Lies lately, movie on Bernie Madoff. Robert De Niro and Michelle Pfeiffer star. I enjoyed it. Probably more sympathetic to his wife and kids more so than to the thousands of others that lost everything but still a good watch.

Saw Free Solo, excellent documentary. Some crazy bastards out there. Gives a good insight into their mentality and difficulty they have in cultivating "normal relationships" into their lives. Some of the video photography is literally edge of the seat spine tingling. 

Anyone ever see the movie Property of the State or know where to get it. Movie on the murderer Brendan O'Donnell, through the eyes of his sister. Supposed to be very good.

BrotherMore6592

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 11, 2023, 03:48:17 PM

No, I'm talking about the bregrdging Irish cnuts who ain't fussed on Irish success, regardless of what ya think personally..

The threads are littered with people begrudging Irish sports stars or people that do well

Not everyone from Ireland drinks Guinness or speaks Irish or live in a white pebbledash cottage on a cold wet island off the shores on Connemara, but hey its winning awards

I think we hate people thinking we are backwards, and while I haven't seen it and its bound to be as slow f**k (from what Ive read on here by the real experts) its obviously ticking the right boxes

Give it up, we all know the movie is sh#te. You're digging yourself in deeper

Milltown Row2

Where did I say it wasn't shite? If you can read my post again.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 12, 2023, 07:45:27 AM
Where did I say it wasn't shite? If you can read my post again.
Don't you go having a different opinion from others!

screenexile

Quote from: BrotherMore6592 on January 12, 2023, 02:04:45 AM

I'd say that's harsh by and large Irish people back their own. For me the only sportspeople I don't like from Ireland are McGregor and Keane and any Tyrone player past or present or any that should exist in the future. You can't like everyone and everything just because they're from here what a sorry existence that would be!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: screenexile on January 12, 2023, 09:55:06 AM

I'd say that's harsh by and large Irish people back their own. For me the only sportspeople I don't like from Ireland are McGregor and Keane and any Tyrone player past or present or any that should exist in the future. You can't like everyone and everything just because they're from here what a sorry existence that would be!

No again I'm not asking anyone to like someone because they are Irish, most people I hate are Irish ;D

Its this bit, not recognising the achievements (sport, acting, singing, writers,  celebrities) regardless of their personality, this film could be pure piss, I've no issues with that, its just we do have a begrudging nature, we are all cynics, the chances of an Irish film winning the big awards is very slim and we just can't embrace that someone else, like movie critics, actually like it!!

Look-Up!

In all fairness the thread title is Movie recommendations, not Irish Film appreciation thread.

You basically watch a movie and say what you think of it and would you recommend it to others.

J70

Who is this "we" you speak of?

Taylor

Watched it over Xmas and thought it was dead on - watchable but by no means a classic.

6.75/10

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Taylor on January 12, 2023, 01:05:56 PM
Watched it over Xmas and thought it was dead on - watchable but by no means a classic.

6.75/10

Neither was Driving Miss Daisy, it won best picture and best actress

Better films that year, sorry more popular films that year .. Glory, Fields of Dreams, Harry met Sally, Dead poet society and my favourite that year and won f**k all Weekend at Bernies!!

Who knows what these critics look for really1