Movie recommendations

Started by corn02, October 23, 2007, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trileacman

Banshees looks nice, promises much but has the worst ending of nearly any film I've seen. Only over thinking arthouse gobshites could infer any meaning from that ending. I seen mark kermode singing its praises, a sure sign it's cat.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Captain Obvious

Banshees of Inisherin was ok watch a metaphor for the Irish Civil War it seems.  Gleeson, Farrell well acted again but were their performances better than In Bruges? Kerry Condon nailed her role a very good actress.

trueblue1234

Quote from: trileacman on December 18, 2022, 11:18:47 PM
Banshees looks nice, promises much but has the worst ending of nearly any film I've seen. Only over thinking arthouse gobshites could infer any meaning from that ending. I seen mark kermode singing its praises, a sure sign it's cat.

Watched it last night. Meh!! Passed couple of hours and acting was all good. But just didn't have enough to carry it. Certainly wouldn't ever think of going back for a second viewing. Wife hated it, fell asleep. (A regular occurrence) and asked what all happened. Not fecking much was the answer.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Hound

You definitely need to know in advance that it's a 'dark tragi-comedy' in order not to be disappointed.

Not nearly as enjoyable as In Bruges. Some nice nostalgic moments around old rural Ireland (although not sure how yanks would get it, or even the brits, but it's still getting all the award nominations). Also a different type of nostalgia was a D'unbelievables sketch in one short scene in the bar - not 'laugh out loud' but great fun. Kerry Condon and Barry Keoghan were both very good.

I was annoyed with one part of the ending, this was a small rural community, it just would not have been allowed happen with zero people trying to intervene.

Overall, in my rating system, about 6 or 6.5/10.

Gold

Appreciate its a dark, tragi-'comedy" but it was too much of a spoof for me, too silly to get invested in.

Farnell playing a stupid fool, too silly to get behind the character. Gleeson chopping fingers off etc...honestly a load of balls.

She too thought it was shite and fell asleep...I perservered but wasted my time

Sure sign of a shite film is you wouldn't watch it again
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

BrotherMore6592

Absolute muck. It was like a film made for Americans and their notions of what Irish people are

J70

I enjoyed Banshees.

Also liked White Noise, which I was very skeptical about.

Tony Baloney

I enjoyed Banshees.

Watched The Menu at the weekend. It was "interesting" - I think I enjoyed it.

J70

The Menu was fun.

Was slightly disappointed in Glass Onion. Good film, just not as good as the first one.

JimStynes

Quote from: Gold on January 09, 2023, 08:15:36 AM
Appreciate its a dark, tragi-'comedy" but it was too much of a spoof for me, too silly to get invested in.

Farnell playing a stupid fool, too silly to get behind the character. Gleeson chopping fingers off etc...honestly a load of balls.

She too thought it was shite and fell asleep...I perservered but wasted my time

Sure sign of a shite film is you wouldn't watch it again

Complete crap

nrico2006

Really liked The Menu. 

Thought White Noise was terrible.

The Christian Bale Edgar Poe one was OK just.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Jell 0 Biafra

I'd skip The Menu.  All style and no substance. 

lurganblue

All quiet on the western front, on Netflix. Harrowing to say the least. Such a difficult watch but it's must see in my opinion.

Turf

I guess the Golden Globe judges don't read the gaaboard....

Milltown Row2

Well the Irish are a bit sore on themselves, bunch of begrudging cnuts
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea