Movie recommendations

Started by corn02, October 23, 2007, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puckoon

Quote from: bannside on January 17, 2017, 10:36:03 PM
Went to see La La Land and was seriously underwhelmed. Couldn't recommend it to anyone. If Mamma Mia (6.5) was a pleasant singalong with a large dollop of feelgood factor this claptrap is a 4 at best and possibly that is being generous.

Hard to know what to really expect from it, it wasn't the worst I've seen.

Ties Titanic with 14 oscar nominations

blewuporstuffed

2016 was a particularly poor year for movies i think, im hoping for big things from Trainspotting to try and turn things around for 2017.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Hardy

I was disappointed with Arrival. I can't understand all the fuss, Oscar nomination, 8.3 IMDB score etc. Totally forgettable, muddled, no tension, unsympathetic characters and I didn't care (or understand) what happened.

J70

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on January 18, 2017, 02:04:49 PM
Seen Moana recently and its one of the best cartoons ive seen in a long time 9/10 for me.

Passengers was good solid entertaining movie I thought, 7.5/10

Arrival is 9.5/10 for me, brilliant original sci-fi

Hunt for the Wilderpeople is 9.5/10 excellent and hilarious

I enjoyed Moana too. My two young kids are obsessed! Some very good songs in it as well from yer man who wrote and starred in Hamilton.

Animated movies, especially from Disney, have really improved following the success of Toy Story, Shrek etc., and not just in terms of graphics. Stories work much better on both adult and child levels.

lurganblue

Watched Supersonic last night. I thought it very interesting.  The 2 brothers are obviously cockheads but for some reason i enjoy listening to their shite talk.

Was very suprised at the amount of video footage of them from the early years of Oasis.

In hiding

bennydorano

Just back from watching it. Underwhelming but ok, wasn't expecting much tbh - which is pretty much the central message of the movie.

Main Street

Innocents 2016  https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_innocents_2016/  A French film  set in immediate post war  of SU occupied Poland, about a French red cross doctor who becomes a shared part of a nearby convent, helping them deal with the physical and psychic aftermath of Soviet soldiers repeated brutal sexual assaults enacted upon them. It's based on events recorded in a French doctor's diary from that place and time.

It's an outstanding film which covers the subtle multi layers involved in that part of history  with an objective sympathy. Considering the storyline there are no graphic depictions of rape, there is no need.

5 Sams

Wouldnt be as up to date as youse lads on the movie front but caught up with Argo....excellent show...about the hostages in Tehran.
The Aristocrat Years

Tony Baloney

Argo fcuk yourself. It's a good show alright.

5 Sams

The Aristocrat Years

trileacman

Thought Argo was typical yank-w**k shite about the glorious competence of the CIA.

Just out of t2. Seen a middling review here and a mediocre enough IMDb and rotten tomatoes ratings so was I was prepared to be disappointed by it. Must say the opposite though. Not just as brilliant as trainspotting but a brilliant blend of comedy and tradgedy all the same. The ending is somewhat weak but doesn't diminish the film all that much.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

5 Sams

Quote from: trileacman on January 29, 2017, 12:05:59 AM
Thought Argo was typical yank-w**k shite about the glorious competence of the CIA.

Just out of t2. Seen a middling review here and a mediocre enough IMDb and rotten tomatoes ratings so was I was prepared to be disappointed by it. Must say the opposite though. Not just as brilliant as trainspotting but a brilliant blend of comedy and tradgedy all the same. The ending is somewhat weak but doesn't diminish the film all that much.

Good to see you're keeping up the ole yank beating tradition...it's a fuckin movie....it was good entertainment...easy to watch.get over yourself...

What are you gonna say next....typical Brit bastards coming over ridin our women and shooting our men in Ryan's Daughter.....
The Aristocrat Years

trileacman

Quote from: 5 Sams on January 29, 2017, 12:15:24 AM
Quote from: trileacman on January 29, 2017, 12:05:59 AM

Good to see you're keeping up the ole yank beating tradition...it's a fuckin movie....it was good entertainment...easy to watch.get over yourself...

What are you gonna say next....typical Brit b**tards coming over ridin our women and shooting our men in Ryan's Daughter.....

What the fcuks got you so annoyed? I didn't like Argo, its only an opinion. Some lad earlier said he thought t2 was underwhelming, I didn't feel the need to throw a hissy fit about it.

Calm your tits.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014