Movie recommendations

Started by corn02, October 23, 2007, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dinny Breen

Quote from: laoislad on December 28, 2016, 02:57:30 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on December 28, 2016, 02:40:59 PM
Quote from: Orior on December 28, 2016, 02:39:36 PM
The David Brent movie was awful. Every joke he ever made was just recycled.

Never liked the Office. What does that make me?
I loved the Office. I'm so offended that you didn't.

Snowflake!!
#newbridgeornowhere

HiMucker

Watched zootropolis and deepwater horizon.  Both very good.  Kids loved zootropolis and it had plenty of adult themed humour.

Jim Bob

Quote from: laoislad on December 28, 2016, 02:57:30 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on December 28, 2016, 02:40:59 PM
Quote from: Orior on December 28, 2016, 02:39:36 PM
The David Brent movie was awful. Every joke he ever made was just recycled.

Never liked the Office. What does that make me?
I loved the Office. I'm so offended that you didn't.

Why are you offended?

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Main Street on December 28, 2016, 12:24:36 AM
Back to basics,
Stalingrad, german film 1993, no cgi just pure quality, subbed version only, leave well alone the dubbed version.

How does it compare to Enemy at the Gates?

Main Street

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on December 29, 2016, 03:05:29 AM
Quote from: Main Street on December 28, 2016, 12:24:36 AM
Back to basics,
Stalingrad, german film 1993, no cgi just pure quality, subbed version only, leave well alone the dubbed version.

How does it compare to Enemy at the Gates?
Enemy at the Gates is based upon a chapter in the book Life and Fate, is mostly fiction, inserts crude propaganda willy nilly and hardly has a tread of credibility. Once that's understood then just appreciate the film. Stalingrad (1993) is much wider in scope. There's no glory here, it's a relentless depiction of the ugly effects of war on soldiers and more importantly the people. The massive German eastern offensive had already died a year earlier in the Battle for Moscow, it was remorselessly buried a year later in the battle for Stalingrad.
You see how the soldiers react to  Hitlers' Stalingrad speech
The two battle scenes in Stalingrad (1993) are cinematic classics, the second one was part of a desperate attempt to break through to the surrounded 6th army, where ragged frozen soldiers ambushed T34 tanks and after all their efforts they had to drag their single artillery piece through the blizzard in a retreat on foot back to their base, they hadn't even got a horse.

Eamonnca1

Thanks. Always wondered about the accuracy of Enemy at the Gates. Stunning to look at though, I enjoyed it as a film.

StGallsGAA

I'd like to see someone make a film version version of book The Devil's Tinderbox. The story of how the USAF and RAF, knowing the war was already won, decided to flex their muscle to the Red Army and needlessly incinerate 750,000 innocent German refugees in the relatively untouched City of Dresden close to the Russian border. 

Taking advantage of the fact that the Luftwaffe had no fuel for their few remaining planes, in one night  they dropped 10,000 tonnes of high explosive and incendiary bombs on an undefended city of no strategic or military significance. 

Since Britain and the US have controlled the film industry since the end of WW2 it's unlikely we'll see the story of Dresden on the big screen any time soon!

Dinny Breen

Hunt for the Wilderpeople

Not on my radar but saw it recommended further up, a perfect afternoon movie, well acted, funny and cynical. 8/10

Me and Earl and the Dying Girl

Similar to the above, not as sentimental as I thought it was going to be, strong performances and funny as well. 8/10

Everybody Wants Some!!

If you are a fan of high school/college movies then you will enjoy this, a very loose story line about a bunch of kids not knowing who or what they really are except they all play baseball. 7/10
#newbridgeornowhere

Esmarelda

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on December 29, 2016, 11:39:30 PM
Thanks. Always wondered about the accuracy of Enemy at the Gates. Stunning to look at though, I enjoyed it as a film.
What do you make of foreign based films where the actors play the role in their own language and accents?

HiMucker

Quote from: Esmarelda on December 30, 2016, 01:37:46 PM
What do you make of foreign based films where the actors play the role in their own language and accents?
was the enemy at the gates one were all the german and russian soldiers spoke with an american accent, bar jude law who spoke with an english accent???.   I thought that was a bit weird,  but logically why would they be speaking english in a russian accent i suppose :)

leenie

Anyone seen assassins creed yet ? Wondering does it only appeal to gamers ?

2016 hasn't be a great year for film.. however  can't wait til 2017 - beauty and the beast and guardians of the galaxy 2.
I'm trying to decide on a really meaningful message..

trileacman

Quote from: HiMucker on December 30, 2016, 01:58:04 PM
was the enemy at the gates one were all the german and russian soldiers spoke with an american accent, bar jude law who spoke with an english accent???.   I thought that was a bit weird,  but logically why would they be speaking english in a russian accent i suppose :)

Shit accents bother me more. Enemy at the gates is not a patch on Sean Connerys pure Scottish accent in the hunt for red October which is oft ridiculed.

As I said a shite attempt at a Russian/German accent would be worse, my favourite example of actors speaking however the f**k they want is in the grand Budapest hotel where there's this typical range of British and yank accents and then out of f**king nowhere there's this bogger Carlow accent thrown in. Rises a smile everytime I hear it. It's such a pleasure when your used to that shitty mid Atlantic accent beloved of Hollywood.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Esmarelda

Quote from: trileacman on December 30, 2016, 03:23:34 PM
Quote from: HiMucker on December 30, 2016, 01:58:04 PM

Shit accents bother me more. Enemy at the gates is not a patch on Sean Connerys pure Scottish accent in the hunt for red October which is oft ridiculed.

As I said a shite attempt at a Russian/German accent would be worse, my favourite example of actors speaking however the f**k they want is in the grand Budapest hotel where there's this typical range of British and yank accents and then out of f**king nowhere there's this bogger Carlow accent thrown in. Rises a smile everytime I hear it. It's such a pleasure when your used to that shitty mid Atlantic accent beloved of Hollywood.
Yeah that's the one.

Why not just get fluent speakers to play the roles? Didn't Tarantino use fluent speakers in Inglorious Basterds? Having said that, perhaps to German speakers, their dialogue might still have sounded terrible if it came through in a non-German accent.

Forgot about Connery in Red October. The English accents in Game of Thrones annoyed me too.

AZOffaly

Went to see Rogue One yesterday. Top notch. Very well interwoven with what comes next too. I was wondering how they were not going to leave stuff hanging, and they did it very well.

Main Street

I watched the Rogue 1 Star film and thought it was just all too similar to The Force Awakens.  Deja vu.

Chirpy rebel, rogue, renegade republican terrorists escape from the clutches of legitimate government  and carry on a camapaign of terror and mayhem against the legitimate government, recklessly endangering the lives of civilians. Basically outnumbered  and out-weaponed,  the rebel republican terrorists find the government's defensive weak link and exploit it. Film  includes the post-final battle standby star wars' scene of female princess of some sorts (foolishly optimistically) gazing out to a bright future.