Movie recommendations

Started by corn02, October 23, 2007, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

leenie

Watched the remake of The magnificent seven .. it was good but nowhere near as good as original.. I wonder does young ones watch many westerns now or is that genre gone .. I was reared on them.
I'm trying to decide on a really meaningful message..

Milltown Row2

Quote from: leenie on December 07, 2016, 12:34:16 PM
Watched the remake of The magnificent seven .. it was good but nowhere near as good as original.. I wonder does young ones watch many westerns now or is that genre gone .. I was reared on them.

Nope not at all, tried getting my young teenagers into old movies, they haven't the time for them at the minute unless it's got the newest stars and 'proper' effects!

Might get into them as they get older and start to recognise how good the big films were... watched The Searchers the other day, brilliant still timeless
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

screenexile

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 07, 2016, 02:03:58 PM

Nope not at all, tried getting my young teenagers into old movies, they haven't the time for them at the minute unless it's got the newest stars and 'proper' effects!

Might get into them as they get older and start to recognise how good the big films were... watched The Searchers the other day, brilliant still timeless

Was never a fan of Westerns myself my Dad was huge into them at the time but they just don't appeal to me at all.

haranguerer

Would never have watched westerns while younger, no doubt as deemed them old...love them now though

Main Street

Quote from: screenexile on December 07, 2016, 02:39:21 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 07, 2016, 02:03:58 PM

Was never a fan of Westerns myself my Dad was huge into them at the time but they just don't appeal to me at all.
I don't know about the recent remake but the Magnificent Seven 1960 was one of the most overrated films of all time, not a patch on the Japanese original.
Though the older classics  like High Noon and 3.10 to Yuma are timeless, even if the clock does ominously tick away in both of them.

leenie

I was watching westerns with my dad while others my age were still watching Care Bears.. they probably came with 15 certificate.. don't think it done me any harm ...

I watch all genres of films apart from horror .. I scare very easily..Is there any good not really scary horrors?
I'm trying to decide on a really meaningful message..

Main Street

Any good  but not really scary horrors?

I suppose that cuts out Tyrone football videos.

Puckoon

Same as yourself Leenie - used to watch the Westerns on a Tuesday (I think) night on BBC 2 with my dad when mum was at work. Cowboy supper, sausages, beans, toast.

I enjoyed the remake of the Magnificent 7. Certainly worth the watch.

manfromdelmonte

Bad Santa

always a good way to start off the xmas movie season

AZOffaly

Santa Claus the Movie is my favourite Santa Movie. Onslow's wife in Keeping up Appearances is in it as Missus Claus.

muppet

Quote from: Hardy on October 24, 2016, 10:12:01 AM
Quote from: muppet on October 24, 2016, 01:14:15 AM
Still angry: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Jadotville#Background

How true is this? I realise there is a bit of Hollywood involved, but how much?

If there is even 25% of the truth involved, then the way these men were treated is beyond shameful.

It's a pretty accurate account of what happened, Muppet.

Declan Power's book

Just finished the book (Audible).

Well worth getting (eBook available €3.68).

https://books.google.ie/books?id=UU-tCAAAQBAJ&pg=PT109&lpg=PT109&dq=conor+cruise+o'brien+dinner+while+commandant+donnelly+waited+jadotville&source=bl&ots=uLCiK3hLMP&sig=6FZFaUSHLIoYEixxu0FMB_WCrME&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi7lbTK6PnQAhWsIMAKHa0BCmUQ6AEILjAD#v=onepage&q=conor%20cruise%20o'brien%20dinner%20while%20commandant%20donnelly%20waited%20jadotville&f=false

If you didn't like Conor Cruise O'Brien, but weren't sure why, this is the book (or movie) for you.
MWWSI 2017

BennyCake

Quote from: AZOffaly on December 07, 2016, 05:11:12 PM
Santa Claus the Movie is my favourite Santa Movie. Onslow's wife in Keeping up Appearances is in it as Missus Claus.

So she is! Never realised that. I wonder how that movie would've went had Onslow been Santy!

Syferus

Rogue One was great. Lives up to the name of the series more than any other entry.

lurganblue

Quote from: Syferus on December 17, 2016, 04:59:14 AM
Rogue One was great. Lives up to the name of the series more than any other entry.

Great movie. In fact, the last 2 films have been great additions.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: lurganblue on December 19, 2016, 03:48:13 PM
Quote from: Syferus on December 17, 2016, 04:59:14 AM

Great movie. In fact, the last 2 films have been great additions.

+1

Final battle scene alternating from ground to space was just proper cinema.
#newbridgeornowhere