Movie recommendations

Started by corn02, October 23, 2007, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walter Cronc

Saw Concussion with Will Smith. 7.5/10 for me. Very enjoyable.

The Iceman

Watched the Revenant in the Cinema and definitely enjoyed it but didn't think it was a masterpiece by any means. I'd give it 7/10
It felt at times like they tried to make an epic film by stealing epic scenes form other films?
Using gunpowder to seal a wound (rambo III)
Falling off a cliff through evergreen tree (Rambo I)
climbing inside the carcass of an animal to shelter form the cold (star wars episode V)
the lost love drifting in and out of dreams and wandering through the trees (braveheart)
escaping down a river from the pursuit of an enemy (too many movies to list)

It was well done. The CGI was fantastic, the bear scene was great but it was still Leo. I thought Hardy did a much better job
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Tony Baloney

Spotlight v. good bit not great. Dunno what Mark Ruffalo did to merit an Oscar nomination over his co-stars.

gallsman

Quote from: The Iceman on February 22, 2016, 06:58:22 PM
Watched the Revenant in the Cinema and definitely enjoyed it but didn't think it was a masterpiece by any means. I'd give it 7/10
It felt at times like they tried to make an epic film by stealing epic scenes form other films?
climbing inside the carcass of an animal to shelter form the cold (star wars episode V)
the lost love drifting in and out of dreams and wandering through the trees (braveheart)

It was well done. The CGI was fantastic, the bear scene was great but it was still Leo. I thought Hardy did a much better job

Was the bear not the only CGI in the thing?

The Iceman

Quote from: gallsman on February 22, 2016, 10:29:51 PM

the buffalo and the wolves, the horse coming off the cliff, the crow by the river - I thought that was all CGI?
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

gallsman

You must be right I guess, they obviously can't be butchering animals but I thought I'd read that the bear scene was the only CGI in the thing. You're right though, that scene was spectacular. And horrifying.

Main Street

Spotlight ends up winning an Oscar for best film.
ironically written by one of  the sleaziest, most unscrupulous reporters ever to hit our screen, the liar from The Wire, Scott Templeton. 
I thought of it more as a docu drama rather than a film, as it managed to accurately depict most of  the whole picture in regard to the catholic clergy abuse of children and the equally immoral crime of the cover-up (aka pedophile enabling), via the plot line account of the Boston newspaper's investigation.

All the oscar nominated  foreign films and documentaries look to be worthwhile viewing .
I'll be starting  with Cartel Land
http://www.theguardian.com/film/2015/sep/06/cartel-land-review-alarming-account-mexican-drug-vigilantes

johnneycool

Quote from: The Iceman on February 22, 2016, 10:42:37 PM
Quote from: gallsman on February 22, 2016, 10:29:51 PM

the buffalo and the wolves, the horse coming off the cliff, the crow by the river - I thought that was all CGI?
Sat through the revenant the other night and it was a bit meh. Yeah the bear scene was very good, but you'd hardly say Leo got his oscar for the dialogue in the film.

Hound

Quote from: Main Street on February 29, 2016, 10:26:20 AM
ironically written by one of  the sleaziest, most unscrupulous reporters ever to hit our screen, the liar from The Wire, Scott Templeton. 
I'm obviously missing something here. Scott Templeton was a character in the Wire - fictional surely?

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Hound on February 29, 2016, 10:58:59 AM
Quote from: Main Street on February 29, 2016, 10:26:20 AM
I'm obviously missing something here. Scott Templeton was a character in the Wire - fictional surely?
Spotlight was written and directed by the guy that played Scott Templeton in The Wire.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

general_lee

Watched Dirty Grandpa. American Pie-esque but really quite funny if that type of crude comedy is your thing.

Main Street

Cartel Land  as a documentary is almost unequaled in making a documentary film out of direct live coverage of  real political events. Almost,  I would rank with the documentary that covered live  the attempted coup  against Chavez in Venezuela. Part of this documentary happens north of the border, that part is pretend mall cop stuff,  compared to the coverage of the armed people's  movement south of the border in Mexico, to free the province from the shakles  of the all powerful drug cartels. This documentary is so good it doesn't feel like a documentary.
That being said , there is no happy ending here.

gallsman

Quote from: Main Street on March 01, 2016, 01:40:52 AM
Cartel Land  as a documentary is almost unequaled in making a documentary film out of direct live coverage of  real political events. Almost,  I would rank with the documentary that covered live  the attempted coup  against Chavez in Venezuela. Part of this documentary happens north of the border, that part is pretend mall cop stuff, compared to the coverage of the armed people's  movement south of the border in Mexico, to free the province from the shakles  of the all powerful drug cartels. This documentary is so good it doesn't feel like a documentary.

Those lads may be vigilante but they're strolling about in tactical gear carrying assault rifles. It's far from mall cop stuff.

DennistheMenace

The Big Short is a very good movie.

Main Street

Quote from: gallsman on March 01, 2016, 05:39:37 AM
Quote from: Main Street on March 01, 2016, 01:40:52 AM
Cartel Land  as a documentary is almost unequaled in making a documentary film out of direct live coverage of  real political events. Almost,  I would rank with the documentary that covered live  the attempted coup  against Chavez in Venezuela. Part of this documentary happens north of the border, that part is pretend mall cop stuff, compared to the coverage of the armed people's  movement south of the border in Mexico, to free the province from the shakles  of the all powerful drug cartels. This documentary is so good it doesn't feel like a documentary.

Those lads may be vigilante but they're strolling about in tactical gear carrying assault rifles. It's far from mall cop stuff.
It's the idea i'm talking about
the concept of the wannabe cop as a mall cop, armed and kitted out  but mainly dealing with petty stuff, yet still with the macho front.
Similar to the concept of the cast off frustrated weapons obsessed, right wing reactionary militant, who's a wannabe  warrior who needs to "do something about it", now strutting around like mad max, armed to the teeth, patrolling the border in 4"lifted  jeeps but ends up picking up all sorts of penniless, shoeless"illegal"mexicans in rags and bones,  claiming that they're super scouts for the cartel.
Overkill perhaps?